ItemCreated question

BobU

I've got a data grid that uses viewstate to maintain its state between
posts. I also have a button outside of the data grid which, when clicked, in
its server-side click event handler, sets a mode value (in viewstate) that I
want the data grid's ItemCreated handler to act on. However, the ItemCreated
event occurs before the button click event so it doesn't have the correct
mode value.

I've thought that I could set the mode value in a hidden field in
client-side script whenever the button is clicked, and the data grid's
ItemCreated event should then get the correct value. Is that the best way to
handle this type of communication?

Bob

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

first of all, it depends a lot what you do in ItemCreated based on that
value. But, to respond that quite common way to pass this is to rebind the
grid entirely when something impacting on it changes.

Sure, I thuink that setting the hidden field in client-script probably works
in your scenario, but is there anything else involved in the ItemCreated?

BobU

I've been able to do most of what I want to do without having to use
ItemCreated. Since I am just massaging the data in the grid on each
postback, I have been able to do that outside of the data grid's event
handlers.

But now I want to update a column total value in the footer. On a postback,
I calculate the new total and set the column's FooterText property. But it
never gets displayed. I guess that it has to be set in the ItemCreated (or
ItemDataBound) but as I said, I'm not re-binding the grid to anything.

Is there a way to force an ItemCreated event to occur?

Bob