ItemTemplate always required?

msch-prv

My question is perhaps a more philosophical one: Is it mandatory to
include ItemTemplates in a FormView?

Suppose a formView is just used for editing, is it possible to dispense
with ItemTemplate and simply use EditItemTemplates?

Example: With ChangeMode() I force a form to be displayed in Edit mode
at page load up. After the update event, the form reverts to default
readonly altough the EditTemplate is deleted and data is not saved.
(Data is however correctly saved with the ItemTemplate/EditItemTemplate
approach).

Thanks for any advice, Mark

cannontrodder

There's nothing stopping you having the itemteplate completely empty. I
do the same for (ironically) the EmptyDataTemplate.