I've lost my drop down list box!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by postings@alexshirley.com, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I've got a nasty problem with my datagrid. Sorry for the long post,
    but I am trying to be clear and compact here.

    FYI - About my datagrid:

    I have in the datagrid and an EditCommandButton like so:
    <asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="LinkButton" UpdateText="Update"
    CancelText="Cancel" EditText="Edit"></asp:EditCommandColumn>

    There's also some drop down list boxes in the EditItemTemplate which
    I am not populating with values until I hit the edit linkbutton. Note
    that there are no controls are created dynamically in the datagrid.

    The datagrid is set up and populated like so (triggered when somebody
    hits a button to display it):

    Private Sub populateDGProductSummary()
    SqlSelectProducts.CommandText = strQuery
    Mydataset.ProductInvoiceSummary.Clear()
    Mydataset.EnforceConstraints = False
    MyDataAdapter.Fill(Mydataset.ProductInvoiceSummary)
    MyDataGrid.DataSource = Mydataset.ProductInvoiceSummary
    MyDataGrid.CurrentPageIndex = Session("DGPageProductSummary")
    MyDataGrid.DataBind()
    End Sub

    This works fine for the initial display (Note I am handling the opening
    and closing of SQL just fine, I've just removed it from my code for
    now).

    SO FAR SO GOOD....

    Now in the context of hitting the edit button and calling procudure and
    repopulating datagrid using populateDGProductSummary again:

    Everything works in my code (which you haven't seen yet). My drop down
    listboxes work fine etc.

    *** NEW SCENARIO THEN *** (hope you are still following)

    What if I use the viewstate as a datasource rather than repopulate the
    dataset bound to the datagrid (it's not incredibly efficient but it
    will have to do )...

    I have put in on the last line of populateDGProductSummary: subroutine:

    viewstate.Add("Datagriddata", DsContactStructure1)

    And here is the code for my Edit linkbutton:

    Private Sub DGProductSummary_Edit(ByVal source As System.Object, ByVal
    e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    MyDataGrid.EditCommand

    Response.Write("Triggered")
    Mydataset.ProductInvoiceSummary.Clear()
    Mydataset.EnforceConstraints = False
    Dim dssaved As DataSet = CType(viewstate.Item("Datagriddata"), DataSet)
    DAShowInvoiceProducts.Fill(dssaved)
    MyDataGrid.DataSource = dssaved.Tables("ProductInvoiceSummary")

    So far so good (I can see the data if I iterate through the dataset
    right now)....

    *** THE PROBLEM **

    The problem is when I populate the drop down lists in the datagrid
    after this code. If I have just repopulated the datagrid with using
    the original populateDGProductSummary() then there would be no
    problems. It's when I get the viewstate for the datagrid instead.

    My code then to populate the listbox:

    Dim ddl As DropDownList
    ddl = MyDataGrid.Items(e.Item.ItemIndex).FindControl("ddlCurrency")
    ddl.Items.Add(New ListItem("HELLO", "WORLD"))

    Basically it seems that I cant find the control ddlCurrency any more
    using Viewstate, I get the error message on the findcontrol line:

    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be
    non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name:

    Can anybody tell me what on earth is going on? Why can't I find the
    control in this scenario?

    Am I being thick?

    Many thanks!!

    Alex

    (p.s. thanks for baring with me, if you read this far and still
    understand what I'm going on about!)
    , Apr 26, 2005

  2. Elton W Guest

    Hi Alex,

    Could you show whole HTML code of the datagrid?

    Elton Wang

    ---------

    ---------

    ---------

    Elton W, Apr 26, 2005

    Sure thing... Thanks Elton

    Here we go: then:

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <asp:panel id="pnlProductDetails" runat="server">
    <asp:DataGrid id=MyDataGrid runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small"
    DataSource='<%# DataBinder.Eval(MyDataSet,
    "Tables[ProductInvoiceSummary]") %>' AutoGenerateColumns="False">
    <Columns>
    <asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="LinkButton" UpdateText="Update"
    CancelText="Cancel" EditText="Edit"></asp:EditCommandColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn DataField="ProductInvoiceID"
    SortExpression="ProductInvoiceID"
    HeaderText="ProductInvoiceID"></asp:BoundColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn DataField="ProductContactID"
    SortExpression="ProductContactID"
    HeaderText="ProductContactID"></asp:BoundColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn DataField="InvoiceID" SortExpression="InvoiceID"
    HeaderText="InvoiceID"></asp:BoundColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Quantity">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label1 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Quantity") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblQuantity runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Quantity") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Name">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label2 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Name") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblName runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Name") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="CompanyName">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label3 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.CompanyName") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblAgency runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.CompanyName") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="DateEntered">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label4 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.DateEntered", "{0:d}") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblDateEntered2 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.DateEntered", "{0:d}") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="StartDate">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label5 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.StartDate", "{0:d}") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblStartDate runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.StartDate", "{0:d}") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="EndDate">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label6 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.EndDate", "{0:d}") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblEndDate runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.EndDate", "{0:d}") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="CurrencyID">
    <HeaderTemplate>
    Currency
    </HeaderTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblCurrencyID runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.CurrencyID") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:DropDownList id="ddlCurrency" runat="server"
    Font-Size="XX-Small"></asp:DropDownList>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Price">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label8 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Price") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox id=txtPrice ontextchanged="txtPrice_TextChanged"
    runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small" Width="75px" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Price") %>' AutoPostBack="True">
    </asp:TextBox>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Discount">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label9 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Discount") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox id=txtDiscount runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small"
    Width="75px" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Price") %>'
    AutoPostBack="True">
    </asp:TextBox>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="TaxID">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label7 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.TaxID") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:DropDownList id="ddlTaxes" runat="server"
    Font-Size="XX-Small"></asp:DropDownList>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Total">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="Label10" runat="server"></asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox id=txtTotal runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small"
    Width="75px" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Price")
    %>'>
    </asp:TextBox>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="RenewalStatus">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:CheckBox id="chkRenewalLabel" runat="server"
    Enabled="False"></asp:CheckBox>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:CheckBox id="chkRenewal" runat="server"></asp:CheckBox>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Note">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=Label11 runat="server" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Note") %>'>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox id=txtNote runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Note") %>'>
    </asp:TextBox>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    </Columns>
    </asp:DataGrid>
    <P></P>
    </asp:panel>
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Cheers!

    Alex
    , Apr 27, 2005
  4. Elton W Guest

    Hi Alex,

    When using in-line edit datagrid, any item of the datagrid
    has two states, normal and editable. In normal state it
    shows (has) staff in ItemTemplate. And in editable state,
    it shows (has) staff in EditItemTemplate. In order to get
    editable staff, such as ddl, checkbox, and so on, you need
    shift item state to editable first then use FindControl
    method:

    MyDataGrid.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
    Dim dssaved As DataSet = CType(viewstate.Item
    ("Datagriddata"), DataSet)
    ' You already have dataset with data. Why do you fill it?
    ' DAShowInvoiceProducts.Fill(dssaved)
    MyDataGrid.DataSource = dssaved.Tables
    ("ProductInvoiceSummary")
    MyDataGrid.DataBind()
    ' Now you can loop up Editable staff
    Dim ddl As DropDownList
    ddl = MyDataGrid.Items(e.Item.ItemIndex).FindControl
    ("ddlCurrency")
    ddl.Items.Add(New ListItem("HELLO", "WORLD"))

    HTH

    Elton

    ---------

    ---------

    ---------

    Elton W, Apr 27, 2005

    Hi Elton!

    You're absolutely right but I still have the same error message in the
    same place.

    Firstly I forgot to post: MyDataGrid.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
    in the code.
    (sorry, I simplified the code too much for presentation purposes!).

    Secondly I shouldn't have had the data adapter fill command (don't know
    why it was there).

    So my code now looks like:

    Private Sub DGProductSummary_Edit(ByVal source As System.Object, ByVal
    e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Data­GridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    MyDataGrid.EditCommand

    Response.Write("Triggered")

    MyDataGrid.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
    Dim dssaved As DataSet = CType(viewstate.Item("Datagriddata"), DataSet)
    MyDataGrid.DataSource = dssaved.Tables("ProductInvoiceSummary")
    MyDataGrid.DataBind

    Dim ddl As DropDownList
    ddl = MyDataGrid.Items(e.Item.ItemIn­dex).FindControl("ddlCurrency")
    ddl.Items.Add(New ListItem("HELLO", "WORLD"))

    etc...

    Note this is what I'm doing when I'm initially populating the datagrid
    (being displayed for the first time).
    Is it the way the viewstate is being saved?

    SqlSelectProducts.CommandText = strQuery
    DsContactStructure1.ProductInvoiceSummary.Clear()
    DsContactStructure1.EnforceConstraints = False
    DAShowInvoiceProducts.Fill(DsContactStructure1.ProductInvoiceSummary)
    MyDataGrid.DataSource = DsContactStructure1.ProductInvoiceSummary
    MyDataGrid.databind
    viewstate.Add("Datagriddata", DsContactStructure1)
    'Note also tried binding the datagrid after adding the viewstate
    instead

    Any further ideas?

    Cheers!

    Alex
    , Apr 27, 2005

    FYI

    I've published my full code here (very much a work in progress mind, so
    a lot of it's pretty ugly!).
    http://www.alexshirley.com/mycode.txt

    Hope this is helpful:

    Before I was stripping out what I thought was important to avoid
    confusion.
    The last post I was pretty accurate I think so you may want to look at
    this first.

    Thanks

    Alex
    , Apr 27, 2005

    Found the solution!!!!
    I was spending too much time looking at the back end code and not
    looking at the front end (DOH!).

    Changed:
    <asp:DataGrid id=DGProductSummary runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small"
    AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataSource='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(DsContactStructure1, "Tables[ProductInvoiceSummary]")
    %>'>

    <asp:DataGrid id="DGProductSummary" runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small"
    AutoGenerateColumns="False">

    I wasn't paying attention to my databinding on the front end code
    (doh!)

    Thanks for helping Elton (I was very close to giving up completely).

    Alex
    , Apr 28, 2005