J2EE/JNDI problem

Dakota Mon

J2EE/JNDI problem

the setup is this. I have an enterprise project that contains an ejb
module and a web module.

In the ejb module I have a session bean named "registerBean".

In the web module I have a servlet named "Control1"

SImply what I want to do is have Control1 do a lookup on registerBean
but this is where the code throws an exception. I have tried 4
different variations on doing the lookup. Each one is listed with the
error it generated in comments.

Object lookup = ic.lookup("java:comp/env/ejb/registerBean");
//javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: registerBean not found

Object lookup = ic.lookup("java:comp/env/registerBean");
//javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: No object bound to name
java:comp/env/registerBean

Object lookup = ic.lookup("ejb/registerBean");
//javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: registerBean not found

Object lookup = ic.lookup("env/registerBean");
//javax.naming.NameNotFoundException

Any ideas or thoughts? I am relatively new to J2EE and JNDI. From
searching on the web I have found numerous entries about a
"JNDI.properties" file. Where is this file and what should I add to it
if anything? Also should I edit one of the XML files and if so with
what?

My environment btw is NetBeans 4.1

Any help appreciated.

Paulus de Boska

jndi.properties are taken care of by the app-server, you only need
those in a standalone client fe.
Every app-server has a JNDI viewer, there you can determine the exact
name you have to use.
For JBoss fe :
http://localhost:8080/jmx-console/
then the jndiview service under JBoss