January 1 ?

mark

Jan 1st, 1 AD was Sunday or Saturday ?

(question is related to C as I am writing a program (in C) to
calculate days/dates and need a starting point from where to start
counting.)

Guest

mark said:
Jan 1st, 1 AD was Sunday or Saturday ?

In which calendar?
Julian ? Gregorian? A different one...?
(question is related to C as I am writing a program (in C) to
calculate days/dates and need a starting point from where to start
counting.)

Perhaps is better to start with Friday October 15, 1582 as day #1 !

- Dario

Lew Pitcher

mark said:
Jan 1st, 1 AD was Sunday or Saturday ?

Under which calendar, and in which country? It matters.
FWIW, the "Gregorian" calendar under which we currently operate didn't
exist prior to the mid-1700's. Before that, a variety of calendars were
in use, and which calendar depended on which country. Think "year after
the founding of Rome", for instance.

--

Lew Pitcher, IT Consultant, Enterprise Application Architecture

Dik T. Winter

> Under which calendar, and in which country? It matters.
> FWIW, the "Gregorian" calendar under which we currently operate didn't
> exist prior to the mid-1700's.

Let's make that 1582.

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Let's make that 1582.

Ah, yes. "Not all of Usenet was part of the British Empire in the
sixteenth century." ;-) But Lew's right that the Gregorian calendar
under which *we* currently operate didn't exist prior to 1752... before
then it was a Gregorian calendar under which we didn't operate! :)

The OP might be better served by just figuring out the current date
and backtracking according to whatever algorithm he's using. For
example, if he's using the rule "leap year every four years except
centuries except 400-year centuries," then his "January 1st" will
fall on a Sunday, I think.
[Windows tells me that 1 Jan 2000 was a Sunday, and Google tells
me that
(2000/4 - 2000/100 + 2000/400 + 2000*365) mod 7 = 0
Thus I conclude that 1 Jan 0000 was a Sunday. And yes, I know there
was no 1 Jan 0000. I don't think the OP will care as long as his
program works.]

Of course, there's only seven possibilities. The OP might as well
employ trial and error --- only one of the seven possibilities for
"January 1st" will produce the correct day of the week for today.

-Arthur

Richard Tobin

Jan 1st, 1 AD was Sunday or Saturday ?
[/QUOTE]
Under which calendar, and in which country? It matters.
FWIW, the "Gregorian" calendar under which we currently operate didn't
exist prior to the mid-1700's. Before that, a variety of calendars were
in use, and which calendar depended on which country. Think "year after
the founding of Rome", for instance.

You only have to consider calendars in which the term "1 AD" makes
sense, which narrows it down a bit.

-- Richard

Kenneth Brody

Arthur J. O'Dwyer said:
Ah, yes. "Not all of Usenet was part of the British Empire in the
sixteenth century." ;-) But Lew's right that the Gregorian calendar
under which *we* currently operate didn't exist prior to 1752... before
then it was a Gregorian calendar under which we didn't operate! :)

It existed. *We* just didn't use it yet.

[...]

Keith Thompson

Arthur J. O'Dwyer said:
Ah, yes. "Not all of Usenet was part of the British Empire in the
sixteenth century." ;-) But Lew's right that the Gregorian calendar
under which *we* currently operate didn't exist prior to 1752... before
then it was a Gregorian calendar under which we didn't operate! :)

No calendar under which *I* operate existed prior to 1959.

Mark McIntyre

Under which calendar, and in which country? It matters.
FWIW, the "Gregorian" calendar under which we currently operate didn't
exist prior to the mid-1700's. Before that, a variety of calendars were
in use, and which calendar depended on which country. Think "year after
the founding of Rome", for instance.

You only have to consider calendars in which the term "1 AD" makes
sense, which narrows it down a bit.[/QUOTE]

ISTR that Romans (and many other kingdoms, empires etc) counted from the
year of acension of the Emperor. How many emperors, kings etc began with a
D?

Martin Ambuhl

Mark said:
On 15 Jun 2004 14:38:59 GMT, in comp.lang.c , (e-mail address removed)
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

ISTR that Romans (and many other kingdoms, empires etc) counted from the
year of acension of the Emperor. How many emperors, kings etc began with a
D?

The Latinates among us will remember that "a.d." stands for "ante diem"
as well, as in "ante diem quartum Idus Martias." The number of possible
"1 AD" dates is quite large.

E. Robert Tisdale

mark said:
Jan 1st, 1 AD was Sunday or Saturday ?

(question is related to C as I am writing a program (in C) to
calculate days/dates and need a starting point from where to start
counting.)
> cal 1 0001
January 1
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
> cal -j 1 0001
January 1
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
> cal 9 1752
September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Charles Richmond

mark said:
Jan 1st, 1 AD was Sunday or Saturday ?

(question is related to C as I am writing a program (in C) to
calculate days/dates and need a starting point from where to start
counting.)
If you want to pretend that the Gregorian calendar extended
back to 1 AD, then January 1st would have been a Monday. So
would January 1st in 401, 801, 1201, 1601, 2001, 2401, etc.
also be Mondays. That is because in each of these 400 year
periods, there is a whole number of weeks.

--
+-------------------------------
| Charles and Francis Richmond
| richmond at plano dot net
| Re-Defeat Bush!!!
+-------------------------------

Dik T. Winter

> In article <[email protected]>,

> You only have to consider calendars in which the term "1 AD" makes
> sense, which narrows it down a bit.

Ah, which calendar is that? As far as I now there was only one 1 Jan
in 1 AD, and neither extrapolation through the Gregorian calendar nor
extrapolation through the Julian calendar will give you the correct day.

Dik T. Winter

> January 1
> Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
> 1
> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I do not think this gives what you think it is giving; try cal -j 2 0001.
> September 1752
> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
> 1 2 14 15 16

Ah, yes... Now if cal recognised the country where you were, much more
interesting would have been 'cal 2 1712' in Sweden.

E. Robert Tisdale

Dik said:
I do not think this gives what you think it is giving; try cal -j 2 0001.

Ah, yes... Now if cal recognised the country where you were,
much more interesting would have been 'cal 2 1712' in Sweden.

HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.

cal is a UNIX program.
It will produce the same output in Sweden that it does in the U.S.A.

CBFalconer

E. Robert Tisdale said:
.... snip ...

HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.

cal is a UNIX program. It will produce the same output in
Sweden that it does in the U.S.A.

An amazing display of ignorance by the thick headed troll. Do you
want to explain it to it, or just leave it to wallow in its own
excrement? If you explain, use nothing more subtle than a hefty
wood splitting maul.

E. Robert Tisdale

CBFalconer said:
An amazing display of ignorance by the thick headed troll.
Do you want to explain it to it,
or just leave it to wallow in its own excrement?
If you explain,
use nothing more subtle than a hefty wood splitting maul.

Get help Chuck.

Joona I Palaste

An amazing display of ignorance by the thick headed troll. Do you
want to explain it to it, or just leave it to wallow in its own
excrement? If you explain, use nothing more subtle than a hefty
wood splitting maul.

I'll try. Can't you read, Trollsdale? To make it easier for you I've
underlined the part you missed.

Richard Bos

Dik T. Winter said:
Ah, which calendar is that?

The proleptic Gregorian calendar, and the Julian calendar with proleptic
AD year numbering.
As far as I now there was only one 1 Jan
in 1 AD, and neither extrapolation through the Gregorian calendar nor
extrapolation through the Julian calendar will give you the correct day.

There was never a 1 AD. At the time, it was called 753 (give or take a
year) AUC, or the thatmuchth year of the emperor Augustus, or whoever
was consul back then. Any date you put to it is a backformation.

Richard

Dik T. Winter

> The proleptic Gregorian calendar, and the Julian calendar with proleptic
> AD year numbering.

The interesting thing about it is that they would differ about the day to
which they point as January 1. And both would point to a day which actually
was not a January 1 at that time.