jar building

Roedy Green

What strategy do you use to prepare a list of classes to include in a
jar?

How do you ensure you did not forget anything?

How do you ensure you did not include anything needlessly?

I have been using GenJar, but it is failing more and more often.

Joerg Meier

What strategy do you use to prepare a list of classes to include in a
jar?
Maven.

How do you ensure you did not forget anything?

Happens on its own.
How do you ensure you did not include anything needlessly?

ProGuard set to shrink.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

Roedy Green

Maven or Gradle. I prefer Gradle myself, but Maven is more widely used.

I have been reading the free Gradle eBook, which infuriatingly wants
to tell me how to update SQL databases, not how to build a jar.

From what I have read so far, it seems, like Maven and Ivy, Gradle
does not do class dependency management, only jar dependency
management. If even one class in a jar is need, the whole jar
included in the distributed jar, and the contents of any jars any of
those classes need. You tell it which jars depend on which. Therefore
the problem of dynamic loading of classes unknown at compile time does
not come up. The disadvantage is your jars are bloated.

Is that correct?