Java 1.0 rt.jar availability?

Andrew Thompson

I have developed a cross-compilation compiler with a GUI.

It currently supports Java versions 1.1 through 1.6, with support for
1.7 imminent.

Mostly for the purposes of claiming 'complete coverage', I would like
to add a 1.0 rt.jar (or whatever it was called in that archaic
version)
for 1.0 compilation.

*Note that 1.0 is before even the MSVM, which was Java 1.1.*

Checking the 'archived' downloads page at..
<http://java.sun.com/products/archive/>
...I do not see any mention of 1.0.

Can anybody point me to a place I can get hold of it?

Roedy Green

Checking the 'archived' downloads page at..
<http://java.sun.com/products/archive/>
..I do not see any mention of 1.0.

Can anybody point me to a place I can get hold of it?

Perhaps it is because it predates the jar, the Internet and the
download.

I may have some old CDs with things like Symantec, Vibe etc on them.
Perhaps rt.jar is on there somewhere. It used to be called classes.jar
or something similar.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The most significant trend in the US industry has been the decline in the amount
of energy recovered compared to energy expended. In 1916, the ratio was about 28
to 1, a very handsome energy return. By 1985, the ratio had dropped to 2 to 1,
and it is still dropping."
~ Walter Youngquist, Professor of Geology

By 2003, it had dropped to 0.5 to 1 in the US, making oil extraction no longer economically viable, no matter how high the price of crude.

Roedy Green

I may have some old CDs with things like Symantec, Vibe etc on them.
Perhaps rt.jar is on there somewhere. It used to be called classes.jar
or something similar.

I installed Version 1.0 of Symantec Cafe and extracted the classes.zip
(old name for rt.jar). If you will send me your email I will send it
to you. My email is at http://mindprod.com/contact/contact.html in
masker form to discourage spam harvesters.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The most significant trend in the US industry has been the decline in the amount
of energy recovered compared to energy expended. In 1916, the ratio was about 28
to 1, a very handsome energy return. By 1985, the ratio had dropped to 2 to 1,
and it is still dropping."
~ Walter Youngquist, Professor of Geology

By 2003, it had dropped to 0.5 to 1 in the US, making oil extraction no longer economically viable, no matter how high the price of crude.

Roedy Green

I installed Version 1.0 of Symantec Cafe and extracted the classes.zip
(old name for rt.jar).

This was a mini trip down memory lane. One amusing thing is the
install that used to take what seemed like hours whipped by so fast I
could not even glance at the various images they used to show you to
keep you semi-amused during the process. Hardware has improved!

I looked inside the classes.zip (aka rt.jar). There were just a
handful of familiar classes in there. Java really has grown since
version 1.0.

Cafe was very impolite and completely trounced my existing Java
installation. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get rid of it and
restore things to normal.

In 1985 I wrote an article published it Byte Magasine that championed
large class libraries. Java 1.0 seemed like the realisation of my
dreams.

Oddly, part of the dream that I implemented back in 1980 in Abundance
still does not exist -- standard classes for handling international
phone numbers, postal codes, addresses. Dates and currency are now
pretty much there.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The most significant trend in the US industry has been the decline in the amount
of energy recovered compared to energy expended. In 1916, the ratio was about 28
to 1, a very handsome energy return. By 1985, the ratio had dropped to 2 to 1,
and it is still dropping."
~ Walter Youngquist, Professor of Geology

By 2003, it had dropped to 0.5 to 1 in the US, making oil extraction no longer economically viable, no matter how high the price of crude.

Andrew Thompson

Cafe was very impolite and completely trounced my existing Java
installation. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get rid of it and
restore things to normal.

I was wondering about that..*

When I grabbed the rt.jars from the Java 1.1+ runtimes, I
made sure I started with a fresh machine and installed them
'in order'. That was relatively painless, fortunately.

* I was somewhat euphoric when you replied, thinking that
if *anybody* could sort a runtime versioning problem, you
could. I generally avoid runtime versioning questions,
but if you fail to pop-up in the thread (e.g. Sun forums),
I might toss the OP a link to your versioning pages.

License also received A-OK.

Thanks again for all the effort you put in.