    interpreter?
    Truth is much too complicated to allow anything but approximations.
    ~ John von Neumann (born: 1903-12-28 died: 1957-02-08 at age: 53)
    Roedy Green, Aug 14, 2013

  2. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/14/2013 6:45 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > I noticed that all the low end notebooks in the stores run Windows 8,
    > but use an Atom processor that they try to disguise.
    >
    > Can these things run Java?
    >
    > How do they do it? Is there a native code java.exe in atom machine
    > language somewhere?
    >
    > Do you use the usual X64 Java.exe and run some sort of Intel
    > interpreter?

    Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
    consumption.

    They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
    Windows Java will work fine.

    No special Intel interpreter necessary.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 14, 2013

  3. Roedy Green

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 8/14/2013 5:54 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 8/14/2013 6:45 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> I noticed that all the low end notebooks in the stores run Windows 8,
    >> but use an Atom processor that they try to disguise.
    >>
    >> Can these things run Java?
    >>
    >> How do they do it? Is there a native code java.exe in atom machine
    >> language somewhere?
    >>
    >> Do you use the usual X64 Java.exe and run some sort of Intel
    >> interpreter?

    > Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
    > consumption.
    >
    > They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
    > Windows Java will work fine.
    >
    > No special Intel interpreter necessary.
    >
    > Arne

    Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
    previously were x86 only.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Aug 15, 2013
  4. Roedy Green

    Arivald Guest

    W dniu 2013-08-15 19:06, Lynn McGuire pisze:
    > On 8/14/2013 5:54 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 8/14/2013 6:45 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> I noticed that all the low end notebooks in the stores run Windows 8,
    >>> but use an Atom processor that they try to disguise.
    >>>
    >>> Can these things run Java?
    >>>
    >>> How do they do it? Is there a native code java.exe in atom machine
    >>> language somewhere?
    >>>
    >>> Do you use the usual X64 Java.exe and run some sort of Intel
    >>> interpreter?

    >> Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
    >> consumption.
    >>
    >> They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
    >> Windows Java will work fine.
    >>
    >> No special Intel interpreter necessary.
    >>
    >> Arne

    > Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
    > previously were x86 only.

    Is Java x64 only? No, just use 32-bit Java.

    --
    Arivald
    Arivald, Aug 15, 2013
  5. Roedy Green

    Ian Pilcher Guest

    On 08/15/2013 12:06 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    > Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
    > previously were x86 only.

    Yes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom.

    Ian Pilcher
    Sometimes there's nothing left to do but crash and burn...or die trying.
    Ian Pilcher, Aug 15, 2013
  6. * Lynn McGuire:

    > Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
    > previously were x86 only.

    fw@x-1:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | head
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 28
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1596.086
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    fw@x-1:~$ uname -a
    Linux x-1 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 10 08:43:19 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    fw@x-1:~$

    I bought this machine in early 2010.
    Florian Weimer, Aug 15, 2013
  7. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/15/2013 1:06 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    > On 8/14/2013 5:54 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 8/14/2013 6:45 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> I noticed that all the low end notebooks in the stores run Windows 8,
    >>> but use an Atom processor that they try to disguise.
    >>>
    >>> Can these things run Java?
    >>>
    >>> How do they do it? Is there a native code java.exe in atom machine
    >>> language somewhere?
    >>>
    >>> Do you use the usual X64 Java.exe and run some sort of Intel
    >>> interpreter?

    >> Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
    >> consumption.
    >>
    >> They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
    >> Windows Java will work fine.
    >>
    >> No special Intel interpreter necessary.

    > Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
    > previously were x86 only.

    I believe the newer ones are x86-64.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 16, 2013
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/15/2013 3:42 PM, Arivald wrote:
    > W dniu 2013-08-15 19:06, Lynn McGuire pisze:

    >>> Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
    >>> consumption.
    >>>
    >>> They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
    >>> Windows Java will work fine.
    >>>
    >>> No special Intel interpreter necessary.

    >> Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
    >> previously were x86 only.

    > Is Java x64 only? No, just use 32-bit Java.

    That was already mentioned, so I think she was just
    curious.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 16, 2013