Java and the Atom

Roedy Green

I noticed that all the low end notebooks in the stores run Windows 8,
but use an Atom processor that they try to disguise.

Can these things run Java?

How do they do it? Is there a native code java.exe in atom machine
language somewhere?

Do you use the usual X64 Java.exe and run some sort of Intel
interpreter?

Arne Vajhøj

I noticed that all the low end notebooks in the stores run Windows 8,
but use an Atom processor that they try to disguise.

Can these things run Java?

How do they do it? Is there a native code java.exe in atom machine
language somewhere?

Do you use the usual X64 Java.exe and run some sort of Intel
interpreter?

Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
consumption.

They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
Windows Java will work fine.

No special Intel interpreter necessary.

Arne

Lynn McGuire

Atom is just a family of Intel CPU's with low power
consumption.

They are x86-64 CPU's and your standard 32 and 64 bit
Windows Java will work fine.

No special Intel interpreter necessary.

Arne

Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
previously were x86 only.

Lynn

Arivald

W dniu 2013-08-15 19:06, Lynn McGuire pisze:
Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
previously were x86 only.

Is Java x64 only? No, just use 32-bit Java.

Florian Weimer

* Lynn McGuire:
Is there an x64 atom out now? All of the atoms
previously were x86 only.

fw@x-1:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | head
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 28
model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1596.086
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
fw@x-1:~$ uname -a
Linux x-1 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 10 08:43:19 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
fw@x-1:~$

I bought this machine in early 2010.

Arne Vajhøj

W dniu 2013-08-15 19:06, Lynn McGuire pisze:

Is Java x64 only? No, just use 32-bit Java.

That was already mentioned, so I think she was just
curious.

Arne