Java and VB

tommy

Anyone here make the switch to Java from Visual Basic? What are the
differences in development turn-around times?

Roedy Green

Anyone here make the switch to Java from Visual Basic? What are the
differences in development turn-around times?

VB has superior drag and drop to put a tiny app together in a hurry
features. However, VB falls apart as the project grows because it
lacks oo think. So it really depends on the size of your project.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment_Goux?=

David said:
I am in the process of making the change.

The first hurdle is the realisation that Visual Basic is both a
language and an integrated development environment. That lead me to a
search for a suitable IDE for Java. Netbeans (www.netbeans.org),
Borland JBuilder, IBM Websphere, Sun One and Oracle JDeveloper all
provide facilities comparable to VB.

I use those environment but for me, VB (6 and .NET) is more easy to use
than JBuilder. And you have forget Eclipse which is the 2nd developement
environment more use (after JBuilder) to developed in java.
Next, Java is _really_ object oriented and you will probably have to
reorient your thinking about objects and will certainly have to come
to grips with inheritance.

VB 6 isn't a really object oriented but VB.NET _really_ is.
Finally, there are a vast number of Class Libraries which provide
almost all the functionality of the language. While it is comforting
to know that Sun or someone else has probably written the method you
need, finding it can be a daunting task.

When I am familiar with the language I think the development times
will be similar although it may depend on the task.

For me VB is the perfect environment to developed an client application,
and java is the perfect portable tool kit. Try to run an VB application
under an unix or MAC.

Ike

Interestingly,

Microsoft....has migrated VB to where it is essentailly java repackaged.

The Java IDE's....have tried to be more "Microsoft-like"

Wouldnt it be wonderful, if they BOTH used the Java VM, but with a Microsoft
IDE?

Unfortunatlye, Microsoft has wanted the whole pie. As a programmer and
developer therefore, I opt to boycott their stuff, and have no more interest
in learning .net than I do in accepting wooden nickels. -Ike

David Segall

Clément Goux said:
I use those environment but for me, VB (6 and .NET) is more easy to use
than JBuilder.
I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping that I could escape from the
clutches of Microsoft without any significant pain.
And you have forget Eclipse which is the 2nd developement
environment more use (after JBuilder) to developed in java.
I did not "forget" Eclipse. I insisted on an IDE that provided a "What
You See is What You Get" development environment for graphical user
interfaces which is missing from Eclipse. Add ins for Eclipse that I
am aware of like http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html do
not provide adequate functionality.
VB 6 isn't a really object oriented but VB.NET _really_ is.
It was the introduction of VB.NET that finally made me realise that
Microsoft did not care about their current users and that I should
switch to a different language. I should have made it clear that I
assumed that the OP was using VB Classic and that I knew very little
about VB.NET.

Roedy Green

While it is comforting
to know that Sun or someone else has probably written the method you
need, finding it can be a daunting task

one way to help find what you need is to search the java glossary. I
try to give you a bird's eye view of each programming task, the key
classes and methods you will need, then send you off to the Sun docs,
or some other website for details.

tommy

How often would you have to port the application to make the ability
worth consideration?