    tommy Guest

    Anyone here make the switch to Java from Visual Basic? What are the
    differences in development turn-around times?
    tommy, Aug 28, 2003

  2. tommy

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 27 Aug 2003 21:27:53 -0700, (tommy) wrote or
    quoted :

    >Anyone here make the switch to Java from Visual Basic? What are the
    >differences in development turn-around times?

    VB has superior drag and drop to put a tiny app together in a hurry
    features. However, VB falls apart as the project grows because it
    lacks oo think. So it really depends on the size of your project.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Aug 28, 2003

  3. David Segall wrote:
    > (tommy) wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone here make the switch to Java from Visual Basic? What are the
    >>differences in development turn-around times?

    > I am in the process of making the change.
    >
    > The first hurdle is the realisation that Visual Basic is both a
    > language and an integrated development environment. That lead me to a
    > search for a suitable IDE for Java. Netbeans (www.netbeans.org),
    > Borland JBuilder, IBM Websphere, Sun One and Oracle JDeveloper all
    > provide facilities comparable to VB.

    I use those environment but for me, VB (6 and .NET) is more easy to use
    than JBuilder. And you have forget Eclipse which is the 2nd developement
    environment more use (after JBuilder) to developed in java.

    > Next, Java is _really_ object oriented and you will probably have to
    > reorient your thinking about objects and will certainly have to come
    > to grips with inheritance.

    VB 6 isn't a really object oriented but VB.NET _really_ is.

    > Finally, there are a vast number of Class Libraries which provide
    > almost all the functionality of the language. While it is comforting
    > to know that Sun or someone else has probably written the method you
    > need, finding it can be a daunting task.
    >
    > When I am familiar with the language I think the development times
    > will be similar although it may depend on the task.

    For me VB is the perfect environment to developed an client application,
    and java is the perfect portable tool kit. Try to run an VB application
    under an unix or MAC.

    --
    Clément Goux

    http://clementgoux.free.fr/
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment_Goux?=, Aug 28, 2003
  4. tommy

    Ike Guest

    Interestingly,

    Microsoft....has migrated VB to where it is essentailly java repackaged.

    The Java IDE's....have tried to be more "Microsoft-like"

    Wouldnt it be wonderful, if they BOTH used the Java VM, but with a Microsoft
    IDE?

    Unfortunatlye, Microsoft has wanted the whole pie. As a programmer and
    developer therefore, I opt to boycott their stuff, and have no more interest
    in learning .net than I do in accepting wooden nickels. -Ike

    Ike, Aug 28, 2003
  5. tommy

    David Segall Guest

    Clément Goux <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> (tommy) wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone here make the switch to Java from Visual Basic? What are the
    >>>differences in development turn-around times?

    >> I am in the process of making the change.
    >>
    >> The first hurdle is the realisation that Visual Basic is both a
    >> language and an integrated development environment. That lead me to a
    >> search for a suitable IDE for Java. Netbeans (www.netbeans.org),
    >> Borland JBuilder, IBM Websphere, Sun One and Oracle JDeveloper all
    >> provide facilities comparable to VB.

    >I use those environment but for me, VB (6 and .NET) is more easy to use
    >than JBuilder.

    I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping that I could escape from the
    clutches of Microsoft without any significant pain.
    >And you have forget Eclipse which is the 2nd developement
    >environment more use (after JBuilder) to developed in java.

    I did not "forget" Eclipse. I insisted on an IDE that provided a "What
    You See is What You Get" development environment for graphical user
    interfaces which is missing from Eclipse. Add ins for Eclipse that I
    am aware of like http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html do
    not provide adequate functionality.
    >> Next, Java is _really_ object oriented and you will probably have to
    >> reorient your thinking about objects and will certainly have to come
    >> to grips with inheritance.

    >VB 6 isn't a really object oriented but VB.NET _really_ is.

    It was the introduction of VB.NET that finally made me realise that
    Microsoft did not care about their current users and that I should
    switch to a different language. I should have made it clear that I
    assumed that the OP was using VB Classic and that I knew very little
    about VB.NET.

    David Segall, Aug 28, 2003
  6. tommy

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:38:12 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >While it is comforting
    >to know that Sun or someone else has probably written the method you
    >need, finding it can be a daunting task

    one way to help find what you need is to search the java glossary. I
    try to give you a bird's eye view of each programming task, the key
    classes and methods you will need, then send you off to the Sun docs,
    or some other website for details.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Aug 28, 2003
  7. tommy

    tommy Guest

    How often would you have to port the application to make the ability
    worth consideration?
    tommy, Aug 28, 2003