Java Consulting

Michael Kintner

I am looking for a excellent and fast developer to convert my existing Java
program using (1.3.1) to the newest version of Java.

The program uses Graphics and database routines. Review web site
http://www.uprealimager.com

For those developers interested in a small conversion project please reply
for additional details. You can also email me directly at mike @ cnerd.com.

Thank you,
Michael Kintner, MCSE, MGP
CEO, Business Network Developer
CNerd Inc
518 Queen Street
Olean, New York 14760

Chris Smith

Michael said:
I am looking for a excellent and fast developer to convert my existing Java
program using (1.3.1) to the newest version of Java.

The program uses Graphics and database routines. Review web site
http://www.uprealimager.com

For those developers interested in a small conversion project please reply
for additional details. You can also email me directly at mike @ cnerd.com.

Just a quick note: you'll want to define your goals a lot better than
this. If you mean that you want your application to run on the newest
version of Java, then in all likelihood it already does. If not,
there's probably not a lot of effort at all (measured in hours, maybe
days) involved in making it run there. However, if you mean that you'd
like your application to take full advantage of the features of new
versions of Java, then that could amount to immense amounts of work,
especially if you want to retrofit all your source code with assertions
and the like!

Good luck finding someone who can do this for you. Just watch out for
defining what you want before you put someone in the position of having
to deliver it.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Michael Kintner

Thanks for the Tip! Your first issue is correct. I only wish to move to
1.4 because I have found since Micrsoft has all of these updates 1.3.1
breaks on some XP machines. But I have been told from SUN that 1.4 fixes
this problem. And I am guessing that if I convert to 1.4 it should resolve
the open problems.

Thanks,
Mike

Scott Ellsworth

Michael Kintner said:
Thanks for the Tip! Your first issue is correct. I only wish to move to
1.4 because I have found since Micrsoft has all of these updates 1.3.1
breaks on some XP machines. But I have been told from SUN that 1.4 fixes
this problem. And I am guessing that if I convert to 1.4 it should resolve
the open problems.

Have you tried running it under 1.4? How well does it work, and what
categories of errors are you seeing? IIRC, major changes in 1.4 that
would impact a 1.3.1 program included the focus model in Swing, and some
class library retooling.

Using the new features, like nio, logging, and assertions is a bit
bigger.

Oh, let me second Chris' point about specification. Speaking as a
consultant, I much prefer a detailed spec for what a client wants. It
makes it a lot easier to measure progress, and to make sure that the
final deliverable meets your needs. Lacking that, we end up with many
iterations over needs, which can get very expensive.

Scott
(e-mail address removed)
Java, Cocoa, WebObjects, and Database Consulting

Andreas Rueckert

Thanks for the Tip! Your first issue is correct. I only wish to move to
1.4 because I have found since Micrsoft has all of these updates 1.3.1
breaks on some XP machines. But I have been told from SUN that 1.4 fixes
this problem. And I am guessing that if I convert to 1.4 it should resolve
the open problems.

When I looked over your page, I wasn't even sure, if you talk about client
side programming or a Servlet? Looks like you use both sides in our app,
or did I miss something?

Ciao,
Andreas

Kevin Weiner

Scott said:
Have you tried running it under 1.4? How well does it work, and what
categories of errors are you seeing? IIRC, major changes in 1.4 that
would impact a 1.3.1 program included the focus model in Swing, and some
class library retooling.

I'm still dealing with code that broke when GlyphVector was redefined
for no apparent good reason.

(Skewing the topic a little, if anyone else has pet 1.4 issues,
this is as good a place as any to air them. We can change the
thread title. :)

Ronald Cole

Michael Kintner said:
Thanks for the Tip! Your first issue is correct. I only wish to move to
1.4 because I have found since Micrsoft has all of these updates 1.3.1
breaks on some XP machines. But I have been told from SUN that 1.4 fixes
this problem. And I am guessing that if I convert to 1.4 it should resolve
the open problems.

Microsoft IE only does 1.1 + M$ extensions, IIRC.

Go to <http://www.java.com/> and click on "manual download" in the
big, green "free download" box on the right. Download the "windows
offline" installation and read the installation instructions. You'll
have 1.4 in IE before you know it.