    Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    , Jun 16, 2007

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    You might try Vim, which supports formatting of a number of languages,
    including Java

    http://www.vim.org/

    Mike Schilling, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Mark Space Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    If all you need is an editor, vim and gvim are pretty good.

    I'd look into a full IDE like NetBeans, though. Java with it's
    reflection allows much more support from an IDE that a language like C++
    (in my opinion). It's time to move beyong vim and make and use a full
    featured IDE.

    Mark Space, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Twisted Guest

    On Jun 16, 2:10 am, Mark Space <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    > If all you need is an editor, vim and gvim are pretty good.
    >
    > I'd look into a full IDE like NetBeans, though. Java with it's
    > reflection allows much more support from an IDE that a language like C++
    > (in my opinion). It's time to move beyong vim and make and use a full
    > featured IDE.

    Not one but TWO insane recommendations that a newbie try a vi-based
    editor. Are you mad? Suggesting an editor that does just about
    everything bass-ackwards or just plain weird to a newbie is a cruel
    prank indeed. I wonder how soon before he shows up here complaining
    that it's broken because when he types into it, it complains of
    invalid commands or does freaky stuff instead of his text
    appearing...matter of hours I suppose, maybe just minutes.

    If he wants automatic indent I'm sure there's a lot of free or easily-
    cracked Windoze programmers' editors out there that do it and follow
    normal user interface conventions, and which will be a lot easier to
    use and more familiar to the OP than anything whose name starts the
    same as the word "vile". ;)

    I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    Netbeans. ;)

    Twisted, Jun 16, 2007
  5. JT Guest

    Twisted wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 2:10 am, Mark Space <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    >>> me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    >> If all you need is an editor, vim and gvim are pretty good.
    >>
    >> I'd look into a full IDE like NetBeans, though. Java with it's
    >> reflection allows much more support from an IDE that a language like C++
    >> (in my opinion). It's time to move beyong vim and make and use a full
    >> featured IDE.

    > Not one but TWO insane recommendations that a newbie try a vi-based
    > editor. Are you mad? Suggesting an editor that does just about
    > everything bass-ackwards or just plain weird to a newbie is a cruel
    > prank indeed. I wonder how soon before he shows up here complaining
    > that it's broken because when he types into it, it complains of
    > invalid commands or does freaky stuff instead of his text
    > appearing...matter of hours I suppose, maybe just minutes.
    >
    > If he wants automatic indent I'm sure there's a lot of free or easily-
    > cracked Windoze programmers' editors out there that do it and follow
    > normal user interface conventions, and which will be a lot easier to
    > use and more familiar to the OP than anything whose name starts the
    > same as the word "vile". ;)
    >
    > I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    > Netbeans. ;)

    There's nothing wrong with vi* editors. vi was created for *nix
    environments in the day before there were arrows on the keyboard and if
    its good enough for the original builders of Unix, it's good enough for
    me. However, on a Win* platform, it may not be the best choice,
    although there is a version of vim available. On windows, I would
    suggest emacs with the appropriate plug-ins or something like JCreator,
    which is about half way between a flat editor and an IDE.

    When I first started to play with java 3 or 4 years ago, I used JCreator
    and found it quite good enough.

    To the OP, here is a link for JCreator

    http://www.jcreator.com/download.htm

    Select the LE and you'll have a nice editor for free.

    JT, Jun 16, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    Hi!

    SciTE works great with several languages.
    (I'm using it under Linux.)

    http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html

    Best regards
    Gerald

    Gerald Forster, Jun 16, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    Short answer: any decent editor with a C language mode. The editors I
    mainly use support auto-indentation and bracket balancing:

    - Windows. I use PFE - its been around for quite a while but is still a
    good editor - a multi-window editor within a private desktop (MDF) - and
    the ability to run a compiler and pipe its output into a new window.

    - Linux/UNIX. I use microEmacs. Its small, fast and fully customisable.
    Its available as source and has been ported to a large number of
    operating systems and C compilers. Its also good under Windows. I use
    it in Linux/Unices/Windows/OS-9 and it retains not only the same
    look&feel but all the same keystrokes work the same everywhere.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Jun 16, 2007
  8. Patrick May Guest

    writes:
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    Emacs and JDEE (http://jdee.sunsite.dk/).

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO

    Patrick May, Jun 16, 2007
  9. Philip Guest

    If u find an IDE, Eclipse is a good choice.
    Good luck!

    <>
    ??????:...

    Philip, Jun 16, 2007
  10. Liz Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:26:55 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    >me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    Hee hee! You have stirred up some hornets ;-)

    Personally I found TextPad quite convenient to use (Windows platform).
    But I won't say it's the best 'cos I haven't tried the others.

    Liz, Jun 16, 2007
  11. rossum Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:26:55 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    >me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    It would help to know what OS you are using. There is no point in
    suggesting something that does not run on your OS.

    rossum

    rossum, Jun 16, 2007
  12. Lew Guest

    rossum wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:26:55 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    >> me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    > It would help to know what OS you are using. There is no point in
    > suggesting something that does not run on your OS.

    Unless like JEdit, NetBeans, Eclipse, emacs, vi, ..., it runs on nearly all
    developer platforms.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jun 16, 2007
  13. tony Guest

    дµÀ:
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    JGrasp is another choice.

    tony, Jun 17, 2007
  14. tony Guest

    > I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    > Netbeans. ;)

    What's the difference between Eclipse and Netbeans?
    I've used Eclipse only.

    tony, Jun 17, 2007
  15. Twisted Guest

    On Jun 16, 11:56 pm, tony <> wrote:
    > > I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    > > Netbeans. ;)

    > What's the difference between Eclipse and Netbeans?
    > I've used Eclipse only.

    Well, Eclipse is guaranteed to be excellent. As for Netbeans ... it
    might, or it might not. Who the hell knows? I've never used it. ;)

    Twisted, Jun 17, 2007
  16. Twisted wrote:
    > I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    > Netbeans. ;)

    Can either Eclipse or Netbeans work with an existing project structure,
    rather than insisting on defining their own? i.e. can you say "here is
    my project, which is c:\my-project and the .java files therein, now I
    want to edit some of those .java files, keeping them where they are, I
    do not want you to create any other files, folders or anything else"?

    --
    "Always look on the bright side of life."
    To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

    Russell Wallace, Jun 17, 2007
  17. Lew Guest

    Twisted wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 11:56 pm, tony <> wrote:
    >>> I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    >>> Netbeans. ;)

    >> What's the difference between Eclipse and Netbeans?
    >> I've used Eclipse only.

    > Well, Eclipse is guaranteed to be excellent. As for Netbeans ... it
    > might, or it might not. Who the hell knows? I've never used it. ;)

    I know. NetBeans is also excellent.

    Who makes the guarantee on Eclipse? (I agree that it's pretty good; I
    wouldn't rate it "excellent" for my particular style.) Do you get your money
    back if not satisfied?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jun 17, 2007
  18. Lew Guest

    Russell Wallace wrote:
    > Twisted wrote:
    >> I recommend an IDE also though, but one like Eclipse, not one like
    >> Netbeans. ;)

    NetBeans is just fine. Many people prefer it to Eclipse; many prefer Eclipse.

    > Can either Eclipse or Netbeans work with an existing project structure,
    > rather than insisting on defining their own? i.e. can you say "here is
    > my project, which is c:\my-project and the .java files therein, now I
    > want to edit some of those .java files, keeping them where they are, I
    > do not want you to create any other files, folders or anything else"?

    Both can import existing projects and maintain their structure. Neither does
    it without creating directories or files; both need additional files to manage
    the IDE's awareness of your project(s). Neither creates those management
    artifacts within the code base.

    I am a heavy user of both Eclipse and NetBeans.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jun 17, 2007
  19. wrote:
    > Hi. I was just wondering if someone can recommend a Java editor for
    > me. I'm looking for something that supports automatic indentation.

    Vim and Emacs can both do that, but are tricky if you're new to them. (I
    don't use emacs, but the vitutor tool gets up to basics quickly and
    learning advanced features doesn't take so long).

    As for GUI editors, the best IDEs seem to be Eclipse and NetBeans in
    some order (potential flame war there). I've used both jEdit and
    JCreator LE as well, and found them satisfactory (jEdit is my preferred
    editor on Windows machines, although it needs a lot of plugins to be
    useful). I have also used BlueJ, JGrasp, and RealJ in the past, and
    found them not satisfactory -- the last one seems to no longer exist,
    the first one is impossible to use for anything mildly complex (e.g.,
    packages). JGrasp has had one or two recommendations, but I would stay
    away from it as it is rather unintuitive and can easily drive you crazy.

    I don't know how many of those support automatic indentation, but the
    first four -- vim, emacs, Eclipse, and Netbeans -- definitely support
    out, although they might need simple configuration.

    Joshua Cranmer, Jun 17, 2007
  20. "Lew" <> wrote in message
    > Twisted wrote:
    >>> What's the difference between Eclipse and Netbeans?
    >>> I've used Eclipse only.

    >> Well, Eclipse is guaranteed to be excellent. As for Netbeans ... it
    >> might, or it might not. Who the hell knows? I've never used it. ;)

    > I know. NetBeans is also excellent.

    Eclipse is Good. IntelliJ is excellent, but not free. I base this
    distinction on a place I was consulting at recently. The project standard
    was Eclipse, but many developers there spent their own money to buy IntelliJ
    ..

    Mike Schilling, Jun 17, 2007