java.lang.runtime.exec cannot resolve symbol

Discussion in 'Java' started by Darren, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. Darren

    Darren Guest

    i'm invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    java.lang.runtime class.. i import it as well as java.lang.process but the
    when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve symbol"
    on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'

    The code for this class alone is below;

    package uk.me.g7wap.jarmaker;
    import javax.swing.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;

    import java.io.File;
    import java.lang.Runtime;
    import java.lang.Process;
    public class Jarmaker
    {

    private static String JarSignerPath=null;

    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    JFrame.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated(true);
    JDialog.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated(true);
    try
    {

    UIManager.setLookAndFeel("com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel
    ");

    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
    System.out.println("Failed loading L&F: ");
    ex.printStackTrace();
    }
    final JFrame w = new JFrame("Desktop Window");
    final JDesktopPane desktop = new JDesktopPane();
    JMenuBar menuBar = new JMenuBar();
    JMenu menuFile = new JMenu("File");
    JMenuItem menuItem = new JMenuItem("New");
    JMenuItem menuFileNewJar = new JMenuItem("Create JAR",KeyEvent.VK_J);
    JMenuItem menuFileNewZip = new JMenuItem ("Create ZIP",KeyEvent.VK_Z);
    JMenuItem menuFileOpenJar = new JMenuItem("Open JAR",KeyEvent.VK_F3);
    JMenuItem menuFileOpenZip = new JMenuItem ("Open ZIP",KeyEvent.VK_F3);
    JMenuItem menuFileSetRoot = new JMenuItem("Set Root
    Dir",KeyEvent.VK_R);
    JMenuItem menuFileSignJar =new JMenuItem("Sign Jar",KeyEvent.VK_J);
    JMenuItem menuFileExit = new JMenuItem("Exit",KeyEvent.VK_X);
    w.setContentPane(desktop);
    w.setJMenuBar(menuBar);
    menuBar.add(menuFile);
    menuFile.add(menuItem);

    menuFileNewJar.setAccelerator(KeyStroke.getKeyStroke(KeyEvent.VK_J,ActionEve
    nt.ALT_MASK));

    menuFileNewZip.setAccelerator(KeyStroke.getKeyStroke(KeyEvent.VK_Z,ActionEve
    nt.ALT_MASK));

    menuFileSetRoot.setAccelerator(KeyStroke.getKeyStroke(KeyEvent.VK_R,ActionEv
    ent.ALT_MASK));

    menuFileExit.setAccelerator(KeyStroke.getKeyStroke(KeyEvent.VK_X,
    ActionEvent.ALT_MASK));
    menuFileExit.getAccessibleContext().setAccessibleDescription("Exit");

    menuFile.add(menuFileNewJar);
    menuFile.add(menuFileNewZip);
    menuFile.add(menuFileOpenJar);
    menuFile.add(menuFileOpenZip);
    menuFile.add(menuFileSetRoot);
    menuFile.add(menuFileSignJar);
    menuFile.add(menuFileExit);
    menuBar.add(menuFile);
    menuItem.addActionListener(new java.awt.event.ActionListener()
    {
    public void actionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent e)
    {
    //-- Create a JarFileFrame --
    JarFileFrame JIF = new JarFileFrame("pickles");
    desktop.add(JIF);
    try
    {
    JIF.setSelected(true);
    }
    catch (java.beans.PropertyVetoException ee)
    //---------------------
    }
    });

    menuFileNewZip.addActionListener
    (
    new ActionListener()

    ZipFileFilter myfilter=new ZipFileFilter();
    JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();
    fc.resetChoosableFileFilters();
    fc.setFileFilter(myfilter);

    fc.setFileSelectionMode(JFileChooser.FILES_AND_DIRECTORIES);
    int lnReturnVal = fc.showSaveDialog(w);

    ZipFileFrame JIF = new
    ZipFileFrame(fc.getSelectedFile().getAbsolutePath(),desktop);
    File loJarOutFile = fc.getSelectedFile();

    if (loJarOutFile.exists())
    {
    String title = "New";
    JOptionPane loOverwriteConfirm = new JOptionPane();
    int lnResult=loOverwriteConfirm.showConfirmDialog(w,"File
    exists, overwrite?","File Exists",JOptionPane.YES_NO_OPTION);
    if(lnResult==0)
    {
    desktop.add(JIF);
    try
    {
    JIF.setSelected(true);
    }
    catch (java.beans.PropertyVetoException ee)
    else
    {
    desktop.add(JIF);
    try
    {

    Zip outzip = new
    Zip("*.*",loJarOutFile.getCanonicalPath(),"c:\\Applets");
    }
    catch (java.io.IOException eee)

    try
    {
    JIF.setSelected(true);
    }
    catch (java.beans.PropertyVetoException ee)

    );

    menuFileOpenZip.addActionListener
    (
    new ActionListener()

    JarFileFilter myfilter=new JarFileFilter();
    JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();
    fc.resetChoosableFileFilters();
    fc.setFileFilter(myfilter);

    fc.setFileSelectionMode(JFileChooser.FILES_AND_DIRECTORIES);
    int lnReturnVal = fc.showOpenDialog(w);

    ZipFileFrame JIF = new
    ZipFileFrame(fc.getSelectedFile().getAbsolutePath(),desktop);
    File loJarOutFile = fc.getSelectedFile();

    desktop.add(JIF);
    try
    {

    JIF.openZipFile(loJarOutFile.getCanonicalPath());
    }
    catch (java.io.IOException eee)

    try
    {
    JIF.setSelected(true);
    }
    catch (java.beans.PropertyVetoException ee)

    );

    menuFileSignJar.addActionListener
    (
    new ActionListener()

    if (JarSignerPath==null)
    {
    JarSignerFilter myfilter=new JarSignerFilter();
    JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();
    fc.resetChoosableFileFilters();
    fc.setFileFilter(myfilter);

    fc.setFileSelectionMode(JFileChooser.FILES_AND_DIRECTORIES);
    fc.setDialogTitle("Where is JarSigner?");
    int lnReturnVal = fc.showOpenDialog(w);

    File loJarSignerFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
    JarSignerPath=loJarSignerFile.getAbsolutePath();

    }
    JarFileFilter myfilter=new JarFileFilter();
    JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();
    fc.resetChoosableFileFilters();
    fc.setFileFilter(myfilter);

    fc.setFileSelectionMode(JFileChooser.FILES_AND_DIRECTORIES);
    fc.setDialogTitle("Jar File to Sign?");
    int lnReturnVal = fc.showOpenDialog(w);

    File loJarOutFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
    exec(JarSignerPath);

    );

    w.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
    w.setSize(700,500);
    w.setLocation(50,50);
    w.setVisible(true);

    Darren, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Darren wrote:

    > i'm

    Sentences that are easy to read are more likely to get
    read. Using an uppercase character at the beginning
    of a sentence helps to make posts easier to read.

    >...invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    > java.lang.runtime class..

    That is becasue it is.

    >..i import it

    No need. java.lang.* is imported by default.

    >..as well as java.lang.process

    ditto.

    >.. but the
    > when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve symbol"
    > on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'

    Please always copy/paste errors, or the first lines
    of stack traces.

    > The code for this class alone is below;

    252 lines of uncompilable* code is unlikely to get much
    attention. If you need to post code, please post either
    a very short snippet, or an SSCCE.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

    * had to fix code lines broken by being too wide, and
    hunt through the errors caused by the missing classes.

    But to your more immediate problem..

    > File loJarOutFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
    > exec(JarSignerPath);

    F:\...Jarmaker\Jarmaker.java:227: cannot find symbol
    symbol: method exec(java.lang.String)
    exec(JarSignerPath);
    ^

    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#exec(java.lang.String)>
    OK. 'exec(String)' is a method of a Runtime object. if we had
    a runtime object called 'runtime' you might invoke it using..

    runtime.exec("the command");

    If that method were declared 'static', you would not even
    require the object, but instead invoke it from the static context..

    Runtime.exec("the command");

    ...in your code, your call effectively becomes..

    this.exec("the command");

    ...where 'this' is an instance of Jarmaker, which has no 'exec'
    method.

    The error is saying there is no 'exec(String)' method for
    the Jarmaker class, because that is where the compiler
    thinks you mean to find it.

    To get a instance of a Runtime object, see
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#getRuntime()>

    And, as 2 asides..
    1) It pays to ask a question - though we've already been there. ;-)
    2) The best groups for helping those new to Java is..

    HTH

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Darren

    Bjorn Abelli Guest

    "Darren" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > i'm invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    > java.lang.runtime class.. i import it as well as java.lang.process but the
    > when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve symbol"
    > on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'

    Due to the strictness of OO in Java, any method must be an instance method
    or a class method.

    This also affects how you can call it, i.e. *only* through an instance or a
    class. When you don't provide a "receiver" for the call, the current
    instance or class is considered the default reciever.

    To take the "exec"-method as an example.

    You don't have an "exec"-method in your class JarMaker, because exec is an
    instance method for a Runtime-object.

    Hence you can't call it just by:

    exec(whatever);

    ....you have to have an instance to send the message exec to, e.g.

    myRuntime.exec(whatever);

    There's also a class method to retrieve a reference to the "current"
    Runtime-instance, so here's how you can proceed:

    Runtime myRuntime = Runtime.getRuntime();
    myRuntime.exec(JarSignerPath);

    I can't guarantee that it will work in your particular case, as I didn't
    check if your "JarSignerPath" is valid as an argument to exec.

    To read further:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html

    // Bjorn A

    Bjorn Abelli, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Darren

    Guest

    Remember that Java is case sensitve. It isn't java.lang.runtime. It's
    java.lang.Runtime

    , Nov 14, 2005
  5. Darren

    Darren Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Darren wrote:
    >
    > > i'm

    > Sentences that are easy to read are more likely to get
    > read. Using an uppercase character at the beginning
    > of a sentence helps to make posts easier to read.

    You can read, 'I'm' but you can't read 'i'm'?

    > >...invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    > > java.lang.runtime class..

    > That is becasue it is.
    >
    > >..i import it

    > No need. java.lang.* is imported by default.
    >
    > >..as well as java.lang.process

    > ditto.

    Yo see I didn't know that and even then I don't take things as red because
    if I do then knowing my luck a future version will not include them as red.
    :\

    > >.. but the
    > > when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve

    symbol"
    > > on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'

    > Please always copy/paste errors, or the first lines
    > of stack traces.

    I did,
    "cannot resolve symbol"

    > > The code for this class alone is below;

    > 252 lines of uncompilable* code is unlikely to get much
    > attention. If you need to post code, please post either
    > a very short snippet, or an SSCCE.
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

    Look I'm not being funny but will you guys make up your minds? I got moaned
    at for not posting the whole code now i did you moan at me. Why don't you
    guys decide what you want and put it in the faq then we all know where we
    are. or perhaps you have already and I missed it :)

    > * had to fix code lines broken by being too wide, and
    > hunt through the errors caused by the missing classes.
    >
    > But to your more immediate problem..
    >
    > > File loJarOutFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
    > > exec(JarSignerPath);

    > F:\...Jarmaker\Jarmaker.java:227: cannot find symbol
    > symbol: method exec(java.lang.String)
    > exec(JarSignerPath);
    > ^

    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#exec(java.la
    ng.String)>
    > OK. 'exec(String)' is a method of a Runtime object. if we had
    > a runtime object called 'runtime' you might invoke it using..
    >
    > runtime.exec("the command");
    >
    > If that method were declared 'static', you would not even
    > require the object, but instead invoke it from the static context..
    >
    > Runtime.exec("the command");
    >
    > ..in your code, your call effectively becomes..
    >
    > this.exec("the command");
    >
    > ..where 'this' is an instance of Jarmaker, which has no 'exec'
    > method.

    hehe well i thought it would include it as i did the import

    > The error is saying there is no 'exec(String)' method for
    > the Jarmaker class, because that is where the compiler
    > thinks you mean to find it.
    >
    > To get a instance of a Runtime object, see

    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#getRuntime()

    Many thanks. I replaced it with 'Runtime.getRuntime().exec(JarSignerPath);'

    I know i could have done it tidier but it works.

    > And, as 2 asides..
    > 1) It pays to ask a question - though we've already been there. ;-)

    Yeah i haven't read your reply to tthat yet :)
    > 2) The best groups for helping those new to Java is..
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

    Hey we should all help each other and my proggy isn't bad for one written by
    a newbie :)

    > HTH

    It did. thanks a lot

    Darren, Nov 15, 2005
  6. Darren

    Darren Guest

    "Bjorn Abelli" <> wrote in message

    > "Darren" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > i'm invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    > > java.lang.runtime class.. i import it as well as java.lang.process but

    the
    > > when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve

    symbol"
    > > on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'

    > Due to the strictness of OO in Java, any method must be an instance method
    > or a class method.
    >
    > This also affects how you can call it, i.e. *only* through an instance or

    > class. When you don't provide a "receiver" for the call, the current
    > instance or class is considered the default reciever.
    >
    > To take the "exec"-method as an example.
    >
    > You don't have an "exec"-method in your class JarMaker, because exec is an
    > instance method for a Runtime-object.
    >
    > Hence you can't call it just by:
    >
    > exec(whatever);
    >
    > ...you have to have an instance to send the message exec to, e.g.
    >
    > myRuntime.exec(whatever);
    >
    > There's also a class method to retrieve a reference to the "current"
    > Runtime-instance, so here's how you can proceed:
    >
    > Runtime myRuntime = Runtime.getRuntime();
    > myRuntime.exec(JarSignerPath);
    >
    > I can't guarantee that it will work in your particular case, as I didn't
    > check if your "JarSignerPath" is valid as an argument to exec.
    >
    > To read further:
    >
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html
    >
    > // Bjorn A

    Very helpful, thanks very much.

    Darren, Nov 15, 2005
  7. Darren

    Darren Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Remember that Java is case sensitve. It isn't java.lang.runtime. It's
    > java.lang.Runtime

    Well spotted dude. :)

    Darren, Nov 15, 2005
  8. Darren wrote:

    >>>The code for this class alone is below;

    >>252 lines of uncompilable* code is unlikely to get much
    >>attention. If you need to post code, please post either
    >>a very short snippet, or an SSCCE.
    >><http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

    > Look I'm not being funny but will you guys make up your minds?

    I am but one person, I have my opinions.

    Some people agree with me, some people don't, others don't care
    enough about what I have to say to listen long enough to make a
    choice.

    >..I got moaned
    > at for not posting the whole code now i did you moan at me.

    Who asked you for the whole code? I requested an *SSCCE*,
    that is a very different thing, with some very specific
    requirements. Requirements not met by your code.

    Consider that there were fixes required to see the code run.
    If two people wanted to see it, both of them had to fix the
    errors, errors you might not have posted in the first place,
    had you prepared an SSCCE.

    >.. Why don't you
    > guys decide what you want and put it in the faq

    ...Is this a troll, Darren? [1]

    The closest thing that this group has to an FAQ is mentioned
    in the Java mini-FAQ posted regularly to this, and several other
    groups. The Java FAQ that is mentioned, resides at my site, and
    was compiled by me, with the help of a number of other people.

    Having said that, the words I put in that FAQ are not entirely
    acceptable to all participants of these groups, and it is not
    the 'official' FAQ of this (or any other) Java group.

    [1] If so - "Ya' Got Me!" ;-)

    >>2) The best groups for helping those new to Java is..
    >><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

    > Hey we should all help each other and my proggy isn't bad for one written by
    > a newbie :)

    I do not understand what you are getting at, but I will be more plain.

    I would not normally offer the level of description and detail
    I did in that post, at least, not here on c.l.j.programmer.

    OTOH, I (as well as some other people who help out on c.l.j.h.)
    set out to 'take more time' when answering questions on c.l.j.help.
    Also, the general nature of the discussion on help is different,
    there are things (accusations, derision..) flung about on
    c.l.j.programmer without comment, that would prompt a severe
    criticism on c.l.j.help.

    >>HTH

    > It did. thanks a lot

    You're welcome. :)

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 15, 2005
  9. Darren

    Michael Dunn Guest

    "Darren" <> wrote in message
    > i'm invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    > java.lang.runtime class.. i import it as well as java.lang.process but the
    > when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve symbol"
    > on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'
    >
    > The code for this class alone is below;

    <snipped>

    I don't have some of the classes required to run the program, but if
    everything
    unrelated to the problem is stripped, and hard-code a string representing a
    program
    to run (which seems to be the intention of 'exec(..)') - in this e.g. using
    notepad,
    the compiler generates a "can't find symbol" error (after leaving all the
    imports as is)

    import javax.swing.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;

    import java.io.File;
    import java.lang.Runtime;
    import java.lang.Process;
    class Jarmaker
    {
    private static String JarSignerPath="notepad.exe";
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    exec(JarSignerPath);

    exec is unknown because it is a method of Runtime
    Runtime may be imported, but it is not used

    change
    exec(JarSignerPath);
    try{Runtime.getRuntime().exec(JarSignerPath);}catch(Exception e){}

    compile/run and see what happens

    Michael Dunn, Nov 15, 2005
  10. Darren

    > >>252 lines of uncompilable* code is unlikely to get much
    > >>attention. If you need to post code, please post either
    > >>a very short snippet, or an SSCCE.
    > >><http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

    > > Look I'm not being funny but will you guys make up your minds?

    > I am but one person, I have my opinions.
    >
    > Some people agree with me, some people don't, others don't care
    > enough about what I have to say to listen long enough to make a
    > choice.
    >
    > >..I got moaned
    > > at for not posting the whole code now i did you moan at me.

    > Who asked you for the whole code? I requested an *SSCCE*,
    > that is a very different thing, with some very specific
    > requirements. Requirements not met by your code.

    I had to look up *SSCCE*

    > Consider that there were fixes required to see the code run.
    > If two people wanted to see it, both of them had to fix the
    > errors, errors you might not have posted in the first place,
    > had you prepared an SSCCE.

    No problem, but it's misunderstanding like this that call for a group FAQ
    and no that wasn't a troll.

    > >.. Why don't you
    > > guys decide what you want and put it in the faq

    > ..Is this a troll, Darren? [1]

    Nope. :)

    > The closest thing that this group has to an FAQ is mentioned
    > in the Java mini-FAQ posted regularly to this, and several other
    > groups. The Java FAQ that is mentioned, resides at my site, and
    > was compiled by me, with the help of a number of other people.

    Perhaps the group might see it as a suitable one for this group.

    > Having said that, the words I put in that FAQ are not entirely
    > acceptable to all participants of these groups, and it is not
    > the 'official' FAQ of this (or any other) Java group.
    >
    > [1] If so - "Ya' Got Me!" ;-)

    LOL no, you still win, it wasn't a troll. :)

    > >>2) The best groups for helping those new to Java is..
    > >><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

    > > Hey we should all help each other and my proggy isn't bad for one

    written by
    > > a newbie :)

    > I do not understand what you are getting at, but I will be more plain.
    >
    > I would not normally offer the level of description and detail
    > I did in that post, at least, not here on c.l.j.programmer.

    It was very kind of you to do so.

    > OTOH, I (as well as some other people who help out on c.l.j.h.)
    > set out to 'take more time' when answering questions on c.l.j.help.
    > Also, the general nature of the discussion on help is different,
    > there are things (accusations, derision..) flung about on
    > c.l.j.programmer without comment, that would prompt a severe
    > criticism on c.l.j.help.

    erm ok

    Darren, Nov 15, 2005
  11. Darren

    Darren Guest

    "Michael Dunn" <> wrote in message

    > "Darren" <> wrote in message
    > > i'm invoking to use Java's 'exec' but the documentation says its in the
    > > java.lang.runtime class.. i import it as well as java.lang.process but

    the
    > > when i compile the programme that calls it i get a "cannot resolve

    symbol"
    > > on the "exec" line. which is 'exec(JarSignerPath);'
    > >
    > > The code for this class alone is below;

    > <snipped>
    >
    > I don't have some of the classes required to run the program, but if
    > everything
    > unrelated to the problem is stripped, and hard-code a string representing

    > program
    > to run (which seems to be the intention of 'exec(..)') - in this e.g.

    using
    > notepad,
    > the compiler generates a "can't find symbol" error (after leaving all the
    > imports as is)
    >
    > import javax.swing.*;
    > import java.awt.event.*;
    > import java.awt.*;
    > import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;
    >
    > import java.io.File;
    > import java.lang.Runtime;
    > import java.lang.Process;
    > class Jarmaker
    > {
    > private static String JarSignerPath="notepad.exe";
    > public static void main(String[] args)
    > {
    > exec(JarSignerPath);
    >
    > exec is unknown because it is a method of Runtime
    > Runtime may be imported, but it is not used
    >
    > change
    > exec(JarSignerPath);
    > try{Runtime.getRuntime().exec(JarSignerPath);}catch(Exception e){}
    >
    > compile/run and see what happens

    did that and it worked.
    Thanks for your help.

    Darren, Nov 15, 2005