    out of curiosity, how does Sun make money off of java?

    Thanks.
    , Jan 31, 2006

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 21:57:19 -0800, wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >out of curiosity, how does Sun make money off of java?

    it helps people migrate apps from mainframes to Sun hardware.

    It lets developers produce a Solaris version of their Windows apps
    with no extra work, allowing them gradually to cut into the Windows
    market.

    they sell booths to folks at JavaOne

    they put on expensive training courses

    I have to agree it seems highly generous of them. There must be some
    altruism involved.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 31, 2006

  3. >>out of curiosity, how does Sun make money off of java?

    > it helps people migrate apps from mainframes to Sun hardware.
    >
    > It lets developers produce a Solaris version of their Windows apps
    > with no extra work, allowing them gradually to cut into the Windows
    > market.
    >
    > they sell booths to folks at JavaOne
    >
    > they put on expensive training courses
    >
    > I have to agree it seems highly generous of them. There must be some
    > altruism involved.

    popularity is sometimes better then money.
    And java made SUN really popular (at least in my eyes :).

    --
    Andrey Kuznetsov
    http://uio.imagero.com Unified I/O for Java
    Andrey Kuznetsov, Jan 31, 2006
  4. They are the premier site for Java consulting and training.

    -Robert
    Robert M. Gary, Jan 31, 2006
  5. Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 1, 2006