java money

Roedy Green

out of curiosity, how does Sun make money off of java?

it helps people migrate apps from mainframes to Sun hardware.

It lets developers produce a Solaris version of their Windows apps
with no extra work, allowing them gradually to cut into the Windows
market.

they sell booths to folks at JavaOne

they put on expensive training courses

I have to agree it seems highly generous of them. There must be some
altruism involved.

Andrey Kuznetsov

out of curiosity, how does Sun make money off of java?
it helps people migrate apps from mainframes to Sun hardware.

It lets developers produce a Solaris version of their Windows apps
with no extra work, allowing them gradually to cut into the Windows
market.

they sell booths to folks at JavaOne

they put on expensive training courses

I have to agree it seems highly generous of them. There must be some
altruism involved.

popularity is sometimes better then money.
And java made SUN really popular (at least in my eyes :).

Thomas Weidenfeller

out of curiosity, how does Sun make money off of java?

They sell licenses to folks like IBM or Oracle, or anyone else who wants
to implement some of Sun's Java technologies, e.g. a VM in some embedded
system.

/Thomas