Java multi threading

Steve

Hi,
I am not a Java programmer and would like some help with the following
questions.

Can Java connect to an external API which is provided as a single Dynamic
Linked Library (c library)?

Is Java a multi threading language?

The following information was obtained from the API kit I would like to
connect to. This documented was written about 3 years ago and presumably
there have been significant advances in Java since then, which may explain
its omission.

"you will need to write your application in a language that supports multi
threading such as c,c++, visual basic v6. In our experience some languages
cannot cope with the multi threading necessity".

Thank you.

Andrew Thompson

Steve said:
Hi,
I am not a Java programmer and would like some help with the following
questions. ....
Is Java a multi threading language?
Yes.

The following information was obtained from the API kit I would like to
connect to. This documented was written about 3 years ago and presumably
there have been significant advances in Java since then, which may explain
its omission.

"you will need to write your application in a language that supports multi
threading such as c,c++, visual basic v6. In our experience some languages
cannot cope with the multi threading necessity".

No, Java has _always_ been multi-threaded, there
were no 'early versions' that were not.

Maybe the omission of Java was more due to the authors..
Who wrote the API kit?

Steve

Thanks for the reply Andrew.
The API was written by Patsystems.They have developed a trading application
for routing orders to futures exchanges throughout the world.
I guess the next step is to contact them. I just wanted to make sure that
Java had a multithreading capability.

Steve

Michael Borgwardt

Steve said:
Can Java connect to an external API which is provided as a single Dynamic
Linked Library (c library)?

Not directly. You'd need to write wrappers in e.g. C that confirms to the Java Native
Interface (to be called from Java) and forwards the calls to your target API.