Java process dies with "Unknown signal 33"

OtisUsenet

Hello,

I have a Java process that, every once in a while, died a sudden death
with "Unknown signal 33".

This is a process that is invoked every 2 hours from a shell script
that runs as a cron job. The java command line looks like this:

java -Dlog4j.configuration=../etc/log4j.xml -server -Xmx512m -Xms256m
my.Class

I have:

java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)

This is on Linux with kernel 2.4.20.

Google doesn't give much for "unknown signal 33". Does anyone know
what this could be?

Thanks.

Gordon Beaton

I have a Java process that, every once in a while, died a sudden
death with "Unknown signal 33".
[...]

This is on Linux with kernel 2.4.20.

Google doesn't give much for "unknown signal 33". Does anyone know
what this could be?

According to "kill -l" on my system, signal 33 is SIGRTMIN.
LinuxThreads uses the first three RT signals, so I'll hazard a guess
that there is a threading issue with your application.

If you write some native code to catch the signal, you might be able
to determine where it came from.

Do "man 7 signal" and scroll down to "Real-time Signals" for more.

You might get better help in a Linux newsgroup.

/gordon

OtisUsenet

Gordon Beaton said:
I have a Java process that, every once in a while, died a sudden
death with "Unknown signal 33".
[...]

This is on Linux with kernel 2.4.20.

Google doesn't give much for "unknown signal 33". Does anyone know
what this could be?

According to "kill -l" on my system, signal 33 is SIGRTMIN.
LinuxThreads uses the first three RT signals, so I'll hazard a guess
that there is a threading issue with your application.

If you write some native code to catch the signal, you might be able
to determine where it came from.

Do "man 7 signal" and scroll down to "Real-time Signals" for more.

You might get better help in a Linux newsgroup.

/gordon

Hm, my app is single-threaded. Is it possible that this comes from
some threading issues internal to the JVM implementation, and not
from my application?

Thanks.