Java process dies with "Unknown signal 33"

Discussion in 'Java' started by OtisUsenet, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. OtisUsenet

    OtisUsenet Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Java process that, every once in a while, died a sudden death
    with "Unknown signal 33".

    This is a process that is invoked every 2 hours from a shell script
    that runs as a cron job. The java command line looks like this:

    java -Dlog4j.configuration=../etc/log4j.xml -server -Xmx512m -Xms256m
    my.Class

    I have:

    java version "1.4.2_04"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)

    This is on Linux with kernel 2.4.20.

    Google doesn't give much for "unknown signal 33". Does anyone know
    what this could be?

    Thanks.

    OtisUsenet, Aug 24, 2004

  2. On 24 Aug 2004 00:37:09 -0700, OtisUsenet wrote:
    > I have a Java process that, every once in a while, died a sudden
    > death with "Unknown signal 33".

    [...]

    > This is on Linux with kernel 2.4.20.
    >
    > Google doesn't give much for "unknown signal 33". Does anyone know
    > what this could be?

    According to "kill -l" on my system, signal 33 is SIGRTMIN.
    LinuxThreads uses the first three RT signals, so I'll hazard a guess
    that there is a threading issue with your application.

    If you write some native code to catch the signal, you might be able
    to determine where it came from.

    Do "man 7 signal" and scroll down to "Real-time Signals" for more.

    You might get better help in a Linux newsgroup.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Aug 24, 2004

  3. OtisUsenet

    OtisUsenet Guest

    Gordon Beaton <> wrote in message news:<412af2e4$>...
    > On 24 Aug 2004 00:37:09 -0700, OtisUsenet wrote:
    > > I have a Java process that, every once in a while, died a sudden
    > > death with "Unknown signal 33".

    > [...]
    >
    > > This is on Linux with kernel 2.4.20.
    > >
    > > Google doesn't give much for "unknown signal 33". Does anyone know
    > > what this could be?

    > According to "kill -l" on my system, signal 33 is SIGRTMIN.
    > LinuxThreads uses the first three RT signals, so I'll hazard a guess
    > that there is a threading issue with your application.
    >
    > If you write some native code to catch the signal, you might be able
    > to determine where it came from.
    >
    > Do "man 7 signal" and scroll down to "Real-time Signals" for more.
    >
    > You might get better help in a Linux newsgroup.
    >
    > /gordon

    Hm, my app is single-threaded. Is it possible that this comes from
    some threading issues internal to the JVM implementation, and not
    from my application?

    Thanks.

    OtisUsenet, Aug 27, 2004