Java program that reads websites to download from a file

Generic Usenet Account

Sometime back I wrote a simple Java program that reads a list of URLs
from a file and stores their contents on the local file system. I
have no problems with normal (i.e. html) pages, but I am not able to
download asp files. They are stored as zero length files.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could suggest a way out.

-- Bhat

My source code follows:

/////////////////// Source code begin /////////////////////

// This program reads a list of URLs to access and store on the local
// file system from a file. The name of the file is passed as the
// first command line argument. Each URL is on a separate line.
// Lines beginning with the '#' character are treated as blanks and
// are skipped.
//
import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.security.*;

class WebsiteLoader
{
public static char replaceChar = '~';

public static void main(String argv[]) throws IOException
{
// The following two lines were suggested by the following
website:
// http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip96.html
// They help in suppressing the java.net.MalformedURLException
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());

BufferedReader br;
String origName;

if(argv.length != 0)
{
br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(argv[0]));

// Read URLs from the file. Skip blank lines and lines
beginning
// with the '#' character.
for(;;)
{
origName = br.readLine();
if(origName == null)
break;

origName = origName.trim();

if(origName.length() == 0)
continue;

if(origName.charAt(0) == '#')
continue;

URL url = new URL(origName);
if(url == null)
continue;

BufferedReader bufRdr = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));

// The name of the file to which the website contents are
written
// is derived from the URL by substituting the following
characters
// with some "non-offending" character:
// \,/,:,*,?,",<,>,|

String modName = origName;
modName = modName.replace('\\', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('/', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace(':', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('*', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('?', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('"', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('<', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('>', replaceChar);
modName = modName.replace('|', replaceChar);

FileWriter fWriter = new FileWriter(modName);

System.out.println("Writing contents of " + origName + " to "
+
"the following file: " + modName);
for(;;)
{
String thisLine = bufRdr.readLine();
if(thisLine == null)
break;

fWriter.write(thisLine);
}

Arne Vajhøj

Generic said:
Sometime back I wrote a simple Java program that reads a list of URLs
from a file and stores their contents on the local file system. I
have no problems with normal (i.e. html) pages, but I am not able to
download asp files. They are stored as zero length files.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could suggest a way out.
BufferedReader bufRdr = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));

Your code should not distinguish between static HTML
and various server side scripting (ASP, PHP, JSP, ASP.NET).

An ASP page may check browser type and reject your request or
maybe expect a cookie or something.

You will need to experiment a bit to find out what is
causing the problem.

Arne