    I am not asking for exam and question details.
    Just about the overall experience and how helpful was it to get a job later.
    Ioannis
    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS, Sep 2, 2005

  2. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Ace Guest

    Ace, Sep 3, 2005

  3. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:59:12 +0100, IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Just about the overall experience and how helpful was it to get a job later.
    >Ioannis

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certification.html

    There are many links. Perhaps you will find something to calm your
    nerves. Best of luck.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2005
  4. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Adam Maass Guest

    "IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am taking the exam for the Sun Microsystems Java Certified Programmer
    > for
    > Java 1.4.2 on Monday
    > Can anybody speak about his/her experiences?
    > I am not asking for exam and question details.
    > Just about the overall experience and how helpful was it to get a job
    > later.
    > Ioannis

    The exam questions are very language-lawyer like. You have to be able to
    recall obscure details of the language specification and the covered bits of
    the standard libraries, and then be able to apply the rules to code.

    Pay attention to how you answer: the free-text questions want exact strings.
    A single character off means that the entire question is marked "wrong." Of
    course, the exam authors were careful not to write questions requiring a
    free-form response that is subject to intrpretation, so this approach
    actually works.

    Pay attention to multiple choice questions. Some want "select one of the
    following"; some want "select 0 to all of the following." Some questions
    will ask you to select all of the true statements from a list. If you do not
    find and mark all of the true statements, the entire question is marked
    "wrong."

    Take your time to be sure of your answer. I found ample time allowed to
    double and even triple-check my work. If you are unsure of an answer, guess.
    Wrong answers do not penalize you.

    Now: I am certified (took the exam in 2001). The certification has never
    been particularly helpful in landing a job. If I were looking at job
    candidates, and the only significant difference betwen candidates were Sun
    Certified Programmer for Java, I might put the certified candidate higher on
    the list, but call both of them in for real interviews. This certification
    has never achieved the kind of industry recognition that it needs to be
    meaningful.

    Part of that, I think, is that it tests recall of the language and library
    specification rather than any real ability to produce good software.

    -- Adam Maass
    Adam Maass, Sep 3, 2005