    Thanks in advance.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Ganapathi sundaram.G
    Ganapathi sundaram, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Ganapathi sundaram

    David Segall Guest

    <http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3906>
    David Segall, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Ganapathi sundaram

    Lew Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > Ganapathi sundaram <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dear All,
    >>
    >> How to check the spell on Netbeans IDE..?
    >>
    >> is there any Plugin or Library or an API available for spell
    >> checking..?
    >>
    >> Please provide me any suggestion on this.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Thanks and Regards,
    >> Ganapathi sundaram.G

    > <http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3906>

    What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Ganapathi sundaram

    David Segall Guest

    David Segall <> wrote:

    >Ganapathi sundaram <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dear All,
    >>
    >>How to check the spell on Netbeans IDE..?
    >>
    >>is there any Plugin or Library or an API available for spell
    >>checking..?
    >>
    >>Please provide me any suggestion on this.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>Thanks and Regards,
    >>Ganapathi sundaram.G

    ><http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3906>

    Your post reminded me I needed a spell checker so I installed it.
    Unfortunately it is too clever. Instead of providing a menu item to
    spell check selected text it believes it understands the portions of
    your code that need checking. It's great for checking comments but I
    wanted it for checking the strings I output as error messages.
    David Segall, Jan 16, 2008
  5. Ganapathi sundaram

    Lew Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > Your post reminded me I needed a spell checker so I installed it.
    > Unfortunately it is too clever. Instead of providing a menu item to
    > spell check selected text it believes it understands the portions of
    > your code that need checking. It's great for checking comments but I
    > wanted it for checking the strings I output as error messages.

    Externalize your messages and spell-check the resource files with a standalone
    tool.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 16, 2008
  6. Ganapathi sundaram

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > David Segall wrote:
    >> Ganapathi sundaram <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear All,
    >>>
    >>> How to check the spell on Netbeans IDE..?
    >>>
    >>> is there any Plugin or Library or an API available for spell
    >>> checking..?
    >>>
    >>> Please provide me any suggestion on this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and Regards,
    >>> Ganapathi sundaram.G

    >> <http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3906>
    >>

    > What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    Have you red the Javadock laetly?

    Eric Sosman, Jan 16, 2008
  7. On Jan 17, 3:37 am, Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    > > David Segall wrote:

    > >> <http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?p....>

    > > What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    >      Have you red the Javadock laetly?

    Eye Haight spell chequers. ;-)

    --
    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 16, 2008
  8. Ganapathi sundaram

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 04:47:22 -0800 (PST), Ganapathi sundaram
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >How to check the spell on Netbeans IDE..?

    If there is nothing built in, you can add spell checking to your own
    Java App.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/spellchecker.html
    --
    Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 16, 2008
  9. Ganapathi sundaram

    Lew Guest

    Eric Sosman wrote:
    > Have you red the Javadock laetly?

    Most spell checkers would choke on "Javadoc". In fact, the one for my
    newsreader flags it as a misspelling.

    Then there's this:

    /** Pick up the latest prices from the stock ticker.
    * @param stockTicker <code>StockTicker</code> from which to get prices.
    * @return Map &lt; TickerSymbol, BigDecimal &gt; map of TickerSymbol prices.
    * @throws IOException if there is a problem.
    */

    Many, many of those words are flagged as misspellings, e.g., "param",
    "stockTicker", "BigDecimal", "&lt;", "IOException".

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 17, 2008
  10. Lew wrote:
    > What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    Vim is, if set up properly, capable of spell checking documentation
    comments while ignoring stuff that should be spelled incorrectly. For
    example:

    /** This is a test documentation string.
    * This word is spelled incorrectly: param.
    * So is {@link util.OptionClass}.
    * @param asdf just a test.
    */

    The only word labeled as misspelled is the first `param': the correct
    usage of the @param tag and @link mean that the param, asdf, util, and
    OptionClass are ignored during the spell check. Other comments are also
    spell checked as well.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Jan 17, 2008
  11. Joshua Cranmer wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    > Vim is, if set up properly, capable of spell checking documentation
    > comments while ignoring stuff that should be spelled incorrectly. For
    > example:
    >
    > /** This is a test documentation string.
    > * This word is spelled incorrectly: param.
    > * So is {@link util.OptionClass}.
    > * @param asdf just a test.
    > */
    >
    > The only word labeled as misspelled is the first `param': the correct
    > usage of the @param tag and @link mean that the param, asdf, util, and
    > OptionClass are ignored during the spell check. Other comments are also
    > spell checked as well.

    Sorry to respond to my own post, but I would also like to point out that
    it spell-checks string literals as well, although excessive use of
    character and Unicode escapes are probably capable of confusing it.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Jan 17, 2008
  12. Ganapathi sundaram

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >>> What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    > Eric Sosman wrote:
    >> Have you red the Javadock laetly?

    > Most spell checkers would choke on "Javadoc". In fact, the one for my
    > newsreader flags it as a misspelling.

    <grinning> This thread caused me to turn on the spell checking feature on
    my Eclipse 3.3, with default settings. Opened RandomGUID.java
    (picked off the web the other day). Small class with a long winded
    introductory
    comment.

    javadoc, Javadoc were flagged as misspellings, JavaDoc passed.

    > Then there's this:
    >
    > /** Pick up the latest prices from the stock ticker.
    > * @param stockTicker <code>StockTicker</code> from which to get prices.
    > * @return Map &lt; TickerSymbol, BigDecimal &gt; map of TickerSymbol
    > prices.
    > * @throws IOException if there is a problem.
    > */

    No misspellings flagged.

    > Many, many of those words are flagged as misspellings, e.g., "param",
    > "stockTicker", "BigDecimal", "&lt;", "IOException".

    These words were flagged as misspelled:
    ethernet
    sequencial
    filesystem
    desireable
    possiblities
    discernable
    cryptographically
    compies
    secition
    Demonstraton
    Jeff Higgins, Jan 17, 2008
  13. Ganapathi sundaram

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    "Jeff Higgins" <> wrote in message

    >> Eric Sosman wrote:
    >>> Have you red the Javadock laetly?

    >> Most spell checkers would choke on "Javadoc". In fact, the one for my
    >> newsreader flags it as a misspelling.
    >>

    > <grinning> This thread caused me to turn on the spell checking feature on
    > my Eclipse 3.3, with default settings. Opened RandomGUID.java
    > (picked off the web the other day). Small class with a long winded
    > introductory
    > comment.
    >
    > javadoc, Javadoc were flagged as misspellings, JavaDoc passed.
    >
    >> Then there's this:
    >>
    >> /** Pick up the latest prices from the stock ticker.
    >> * @param stockTicker <code>StockTicker</code> from which to get prices.
    >> * @return Map &lt; TickerSymbol, BigDecimal &gt; map of TickerSymbol
    >> prices.
    >> * @throws IOException if there is a problem.
    >> */
    >>

    > No misspellings flagged.

    And then in this versipn, tkcker and problim are flagged as misspelled. :)

    /** Pick up the latest prices from the stock tkcker.
    * @param stockTicker <code>StockTicker</code> from which to get prices.
    * @return Map &lt; TickerSymbol, BigDecimal &gt; map of TickerSymbol
    prices.
    * @throws IOException if there is a problim.
    */

    Jeff Higgins, Jan 17, 2008
  14. Ganapathi sundaram

    David Segall Guest

    Lew <> wrote:

    >/** Pick up the latest prices from the stock ticker.
    > * @param stockTicker <code>StockTicker</code> from which to get prices.
    > * @return Map &lt; TickerSymbol, BigDecimal &gt; map of TickerSymbol prices.
    > * @throws IOException if there is a problem.
    > */
    >
    >Many, many of those words are flagged as misspellings, e.g., "param",
    >"stockTicker", "BigDecimal", "&lt;", "IOException".

    The NetBeans spell checker knows some Java and it splits words at a
    capital letter so only lt and gt were flagged as errors.

    Now you know why a spell checker in your IDE is a "must have" :)
    David Segall, Jan 17, 2008
  15. Ganapathi sundaram

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >>> What kind of spell-checking is appropriate for source code?

    > Eric Sosman wrote:
    >> Have you red the Javadock laetly?

    > Most spell checkers would choke on "Javadoc". In fact, the one for my
    > newsreader flags it as a misspelling.
    >
    > Then there's this:
    >
    > /** Pick up the latest prices from the stock ticker.
    > * @param stockTicker <code>StockTicker</code> from which to get prices.
    > * @return Map &lt; TickerSymbol, BigDecimal &gt; map of TickerSymbol
    > prices.
    > * @throws IOException if there is a problem.
    > */
    >
    > Many, many of those words are flagged as misspellings, e.g., "param",
    > "stockTicker", "BigDecimal", "&lt;", "IOException".

    ... your point being ...?

    Spelling checkers can never declare that some sequence of
    characters *is* a misspelled word (those that do so are buggy),
    but can draw the human's attention to things that *might be*
    misspelled. In this very paragraph, my E-mail client's spell
    checker is unhappy with "human's," apparently confused by the
    possessive. That doesn't cause me to go back and "correct" it,
    but only to look twice to be sure I haven't typed "hmman's" or
    "hunan's" or something. Nor does it cause me to turn off the
    spelling checker on the grounds that it sometimes whines about
    something that's perfectly all right; it's still, er, helpfull.

    For Java source, a tool to improve Javadoc comments would
    be nice. Something like a spell checker, but sensitive to the
    "misspellings" that happen to match identifiers of parameters,
    methods, classes and so on, combined with an HTML markup checker.
    NetBeans' "autocomment" tool has just a tiny whiff of such a
    capability, but not enough to overcome the big productivity drain
    of using the stupid thing in the first place. (Why thrash your
    hand back and forth from mouse to keyboard, pointing and clicking
    and whirling instead of just <em>typing</em>, fer goodness' sake?)
    Still, it's able to see that the `mode' parameter has no @param
    tag but that there is a @param for the non-existent `mod', or
    that there's a missing @throws, or that sort of thing. Some of
    the capabilities of a useful tool must underlie this pile of
    uselessness.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, Jan 17, 2008
  16. Ganapathi sundaram

    Lew Guest

    Eric Sosman wrote:
    > Still, it's able to see that the `mode' parameter has no @param
    > tag but that there is a @param for the non-existent `mod', or
    > that there's a missing @throws, or that sort of thing. Some of
    > the capabilities of a useful tool must underlie this pile of
    > uselessness.

    Those aren't spell-checking features.

    --
    Lew