Java through (NTLM) proxy

unde

Hi all,

I need urgent help on these (questions are numbered below):

I know that I can set proxyhost and proxyport for the java application
to work through a normal proxy server. But (at least) on corporate
networks there are authentication schemes on proxys. I am using
URLConnection with SSL encryption to encapsulate java objects that I
transfer from our server to the (Java app) client that resides inside
corporate network. I am aware of HTTPClient that claims to deal with the
NTLM proxy, but how? Asking user for Windows l/p/d?!? I have found no
examples nor tutorials that deal with this..

I have been searching web really for a while now and have found out that
NTLM proxy authentication is Microsoft's authentication scheme that has
no public specification!?! Is it really true that Java is not capable of
dealing with corporate networks (or corporate proxies)? Do I really need
to go to the JSP ect. road on this one?

1. Is it possible to get proxy settings somehow from the client computer
other than asking them from the user?
2. Is it possible to use java application client to access server
through NTLM proxy server? How? Example would REALLY be appriciated!
3. Is it possible to get somehow Windows credentials other than asking
user (I guess that HTTPClient needs these)?

Best Regards,
Mika

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

unde said:
I have been searching web really for a while now and have found out that
NTLM proxy authentication is Microsoft's authentication scheme that has
no public specification!?! Is it really true that Java is not capable of
dealing with corporate networks (or corporate proxies)?

I think you answered your own question.

Java works excellent with corporate networks based on
standards.

If the corporate network is based on MS specific stuff
then whoever decided on that has decided to make life
hard for non MS software.

Arne

Gerbrand

Arne Vajhøj schreef:
If the corporate network is based on MS specific stuff
then whoever decided on that has decided to make life
hard for non MS software.

The java 1.5 plugin has support voor ntml proxy's too.
Search the sun website for more information.