java.util.Random.nextInt() thread safety

Sakagami Hiroki

Hi,

Is java.util.Random.nextInt() thread safe? I can't find whether it is
or not in the javadoc API document.

I want to use it like this:

import java.util.Random;

public class Foo {
private static final Random rng = new Random();
private final int myID = rng.nextInt();

public int getMyID() {
return myID;

Regards,

Patricia Shanahan

Sakagami said:
Hi,

Is java.util.Random.nextInt() thread safe? I can't find whether it is
or not in the javadoc API document.

I want to use it like this:

import java.util.Random;

public class Foo {
private static final Random rng = new Random();
private final int myID = rng.nextInt();

public int getMyID() {
return myID;

Regards,

Time for one of my standard rants.

A long time ago, Sun noticed that programmers need to know the
multi-thread safety of functions they call, and devised a scheme
that is used throughout the Solaris documentation. The man page for each
Solaris system call or library function is required to directly state
the "MT-Level", in a fixed section of the man page.

Why, Why, WHY didn't Sun apply this sane, programmer-friendly scheme to
the Java documentation?

Indeed, I would like Javadoc to have a standard set of terms for the
multi-thread safety, and an option to warn if it is not stated.

Anyway, I've taken a look at the Random nextInt() code in 1.5. It uses
an AtomicLong for the seed, and does a compareAndSet to update it, so
all should be well.

Patricia

hiwa

Patricia Shanahan ã®ãƒ¡ãƒƒã‚»ãƒ¼ã‚¸:
Time for one of my standard rants.

A long time ago, Sun noticed that programmers need to know the
multi-thread safety of functions they call, and devised a scheme
that is used throughout the Solaris documentation. The man page for each
Solaris system call or library function is required to directly state
the "MT-Level", in a fixed section of the man page.

Why, Why, WHY didn't Sun apply this sane, programmer-friendly scheme to
the Java documentation?

Indeed, I would like Javadoc to have a standard set of terms for the
multi-thread safety, and an option to warn if it is not stated.

Anyway, I've taken a look at the Random nextInt() code in 1.5. It uses
an AtomicLong for the seed, and does a compareAndSet to update it, so
all should be well.

Patricia
And, these code also would help:
http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/listings.html
(listing 15.4 and 15.5)
BTW, their book suggests that using ThreadLocal for thread specific
random number sequence achieves much higher performance than using
shared thread-safe sequence.

Eric Sosman

Patricia Shanahan wrote On 08/28/06 23:19,:
Time for one of my standard rants.

A long time ago, Sun noticed that programmers need to know the
multi-thread safety of functions they call, and devised a scheme
that is used throughout the Solaris documentation. The man page for each
Solaris system call or library function is required to directly state
the "MT-Level", in a fixed section of the man page.

Why, Why, WHY didn't Sun apply this sane, programmer-friendly scheme to
the Java documentation?

Indeed, I would like Javadoc to have a standard set of terms for the
multi-thread safety, and an option to warn if it is not stated.

Anyway, I've taken a look at the Random nextInt() code in 1.5. It uses
an AtomicLong for the seed, and does a compareAndSet to update it, so
all should be well.

(Disclaimer: I work for Sun, but I don't speak for Sun.)

The Javadoc shows that java.util.Random#nextInt() is just
a call on the next() method, and that java.util.Random#next()
is thread-safe. What can be inferred about the thread-safety
of nextInt()?

Not much, because when nextInt() calls next() it might not
be calling java.util.Random#next()! Random is a non-final
class that can be extended, and an extending class can override
the next() method -- indeed, that's probably the main reason to
extend Random (so you can plug in the Mersenne Twister, say,
instead of java.util.Random's less rigorous generator). Since
nextInt() "inherits" its thread-safety or lack thereof from the
next() implementation, and since the universe of implementations
is unknown ...

The Javadoc could probably be improved, but I don't see how
a formal thread-safety annotation could be made to work for a
non-final class. Perhaps a natural-language statement to the
effect that the methods of Random are thread-safe if used with
Random's own implementations would be helpful, but that's about
as far as I think one could go without creating a false sense
of security.

Patricia Shanahan

Eric said:
Patricia Shanahan wrote On 08/28/06 23:19,:

(Disclaimer: I work for Sun, but I don't speak for Sun.)

The Javadoc shows that java.util.Random#nextInt() is just
a call on the next() method, and that java.util.Random#next()
is thread-safe. What can be inferred about the thread-safety
of nextInt()?

How did you find out from the documentation that next() is thread safe?

The sample implementation in the JDK 1.5.0 documentation is not,
although the code is.

In any case, even if Random were final I would not know, without looking
at the nextInt() source code, that it does not use or modify any
variables. I already know from looking at next() that sample
implementations in the javadocs are abstractions that do not necessarily
match the thread safety of the real code.
[...]

Anything the Javadoc says about a non-final method in a non-final class,
that is not forced by the declaration, can be broken by a subclass.

For example, one could override nextInt(int) always return 42,
regardless of the state of the seed or the value of the int parameter.
Does that make it inappropriate for the Javadoc to say "Returns a
pseudorandom, uniformly distributed int value between 0 (inclusive) and
the specified value (exclusive),..."?

I would view a Javadoc thread safety statement exactly the same way I
view a range limit within type, or a statement about postconditions in
general, as a contract that the Sun-supplied implementation does follow,
and that a subclass should follow.

Patricia

Eric Sosman

Patricia Shanahan wrote On 08/29/06 13:03,:
Eric said:
Patricia Shanahan wrote On 08/28/06 23:19,:
Time for one of my standard rants.
[Sun documents thread-safety in Java inadequately]

The Javadoc shows that java.util.Random#nextInt() is just
a call on the next() method, and that java.util.Random#next()
is thread-safe.

How did you find out from the documentation that next() is thread safe?

The sample implementation in the JDK 1.5.0 documentation is not,
although the code is.

The sample implementation in the Javadoc synchronizes
on the Random instance before accessing the mutable state
(the `seed' element). Perhaps I'm too trusting, but I took
that to mean that synchronization was part of the "contract"
of next(), even if the actual implementation provides for it
in a different way.

Of course, the existence of one synchronized method is not
enough, by itself. There *could* always be some other method
that swizzles `seed' without synchronizing; locking the front
door while leaving the back door ajar keeps out no burglars.
But there's no reason to use `synchronized' any place at all
unless you're going to use it every place that matters, so I
understood its presence in the sample implementation as meaning
that it *would* be used wherever necessary, and that therefore
next() was thread-safe.

Yes, I'm reading more into the Javadoc than is explicitly
stated -- get me on the witness stand with Perry Mason cross-
examining, and I'll be in deep trouble in no time at all! But
practically all the computer documentation I've seen requires
the reader to make some inferences and fill in some gaps; I
don't think its implausible to conclude from the Javadoc that
next() is thread-safe.
[...]
I would view a Javadoc thread safety statement exactly the same way I
view a range limit within type, or a statement about postconditions in
general, as a contract that the Sun-supplied implementation does follow,
and that a subclass should follow.

I'd be interested in your ideas about how such statements
could be formalized into something the javadoc processor -- or
even javac! -- could do something useful with. Annotations
seem the obvious place to start, but how do we annotate these
notions? You referred earlier to Sun's use of standardized
terms like "MT-Safe" in non-Java documentation, but I think it
might be tricky to transfer such terms to Java.