Java vs C++

Lew

Sulfide said:
QNX? That's even more obscure than OS/2 is!

How is still in business and thriving more obscure than historic only and no
longer used?
Fact is, nothing with non-micoscopic market share used those features of the
80286.

That was essentially what I said to start off this sub-thread: "Only a couple
of OSes really used that stuff back then." Glad to see agreement in this
often contentious newsgroup.

--
Lew
Ceci n'est pas une fenêtre.

Nigel Wade

On 09/02/11 05:23, Sulfide Eater wrote an attempted troll:

Watch out for the stupid troll attempt in the previous post which was
x-posted to an OS/2 advocacy group.

Lew

On 09/02/11 05:23, Sulfide Eater wrote an attempted troll:

Watch out for the stupid troll attempt in the previous post which was
x-posted to an OS/2 advocacy group.

Damn, and I answered him without noticing! Now both the denizens of the OS/2
group will be so bummed out.

--
Lew
Ceci n'est pas une fenêtre.

tholen

121> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy

121> QNX? That's even more obscure than OS/2 is!

Classic erroneous presupposition. College football fans, of which
there
are plenty, were treated to the IBM OS/2 Fiesta Bowl back in the 90s,
Eater.

121> Fact is, nothing with non-micoscopic market share used those
features of
121> the 80286.

Classic erroneous presupposition. OS/2 had far more than a
microscopic
market share, Eater.

tholen

8> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy

8> How is still in business and thriving more obscure than historic
only and no
8> longer used?

Classic erroneous presupposition. OS/2 is still used, Lew.

8> That was essentially what I said to start off this sub-thread:
"Only a couple
8> of OSes really used that stuff back then." Glad to see agreement
in this
8> often contentious newsgroup.

Are you claiming that OS/2 no longer uses it, Lew? Or are
you really saying that the 80286 is no longer used?

Sulfide Eater

121> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy

121> QNX? That's even more obscure than OS/2 is!

Classic erroneous presupposition.

Are you claiming, then, that OS/2 is more obscure than QNX?
121> Fact is, nothing with non-micoscopic market share used those
features of
121> the 80286.

Classic erroneous presupposition. OS/2 had far more than a
microscopic
market share, Eater.

In your wildest dreams, perhaps, tholenbot.

Sulfide Eater

On 09/02/11 05:23, Sulfide Eater wrote an attempted troll:

Watch out for the [insult deleted] in the previous post which was
x-posted to an OS/2 advocacy group.

It's perfectly on topic there, jerkwad. We were dicsussing OS/2's use of
the 80286's multitasking support features, which few other operating
systems did at the time. If that isn't a useful bit of information for
OS/2 advocates I don't know what is. :)

Sulfide Eater

On 09/02/11 05:23, Sulfide Eater [false accusation deleted]:

Watch out for the [insult deleted] in the previous post which was
x-posted to an OS/2 advocacy group.

It's perfectly on topic there. We were dicsussing OS/2's use of the
80286's multitasking support features, which few other operating systems
did at the time. If that isn't a useful bit of information for OS/2
advocates I don't know what is. :)
Damn, and I answered him without noticing! Now both the denizens of the
OS/2 group will be so bummed out.

By the first on-topic traffic they've had in ages?

tholen

122> Newsgroups:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.text.tex

122> Are you claiming, then, that OS/2 is more obscure than QNX?

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Eater? The
sentence that you decided not to quote addresses your question.

122> In your wildest dreams, perhaps, tholenbot.

Who is "tholenbot", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

123> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy

123> It's perfectly on topic there, jerkwad. We were dicsussing OS/2's
use of
123> the 80286's multitasking support features, which few other
operating
123> systems did at the time. If that isn't a useful bit of
information for
123> OS/2 advocates I don't know what is. :)

Then why don't you read some of the OS/2 newsgroups to find out
what sort of questions people ask that represent useful bits of
information, Eater?

124> Newsgroups:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy,rec.games.roguelike.development

124> It's perfectly on topic there. We were dicsussing OS/2's use of
the
124> 80286's multitasking support features, which few other operating
systems
124> did at the time. If that isn't a useful bit of information for OS/
2
124> advocates I don't know what is. :)

Then why don't you read some of the OS/2 newsgroups to find out
what sort of questions people ask that represent useful bits of
information, Eater?

124> By the first on-topic traffic they've had in ages?

Classic erroneous presupposition.

Sulfide Eater

122> Are you claiming, then, that OS/2 is more obscure than QNX?

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Eater?

Classic erroneous presupposition, tholenbot.

I said that QNX was more obscure than OS/2, tholian. You claimed that
that was "erroneous", trollen. That implies that you believe that OS/2
is more obscure than QNX, tholenoid.
123> It's perfectly on topic there, jerkwad. We were dicsussing OS/2's
123> use of the 80286's multitasking support features, which few other
123> operating systems did at the time. If that isn't a useful bit of
123> information for OS/2 advocates I don't know what is. :)

Then why don't you read some of the OS/2 newsgroups to find out
what sort of questions people ask that represent useful bits of
information, Eater?

Failure to recognize a common rhetorical question format noted, thallium.
124> It's perfectly on topic there. We were discussing OS/2's use of
124> the 80286's multitasking support features, which few other
124> operating systems did at the time. If that isn't a useful bit
124> of information for OS/2 advocates I don't know what is. :)

Then why don't you read some of the OS/2 newsgroups to find out
what sort of questions people ask that represent useful bits of
information, Eater?

Failure to recognize a common rhetorical question format noted, thalidomide

Stuck record behavior also noted, trillium.
124> By the first on-topic traffic they've had in ages?

Classic erroneous presupposition.

On your part, tholenbot.

Esmond Pitt

In your wildest dreams, perhaps, tholenbot.

No 'wildest dreams' about it. I made a very good living out of OS/2 for
ten consecutive years. IBM stated at some stage that the OS/2 project
had showed a considerable profit.

Sulfide Eater

No 'wildest dreams' about it. I made a very good living out of OS/2 for
ten consecutive years. IBM stated at some stage that the OS/2 project
had showed a considerable profit.

In some niche area. The fact remains that its market share does not hold
a candle to that of even OS X, let alone Linux or Windows.

tholen

125> Newsgroups:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy,rec.games.roguelike.development

125> Classic erroneous presupposition, tholenbot.

Who is "tholenbot", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> I said that QNX was more obscure than OS/2, tholian.

Who is "tholian", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> You claimed that that was "erroneous", trollen.

Who is "trollen", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> That implies that you believe that OS/2
125> is more obscure than QNX, tholenoid.

Who is "tholenoid", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> Failure to recognize a common rhetorical question format noted,
thallium.

Who is "thallium", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> Failure to recognize a common rhetorical question format noted,
thalidomide

Who is "thalidomide", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> Stuck record behavior also noted, trillium.

Who is "trillium", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

125> On your part, tholenbot.

Who is "tholenbot", Eater? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.

126> Newsgroups:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.text.tex

126> In some niche area. The fact remains that its market share does
not hold
126> a candle to that of even OS X, let alone Linux or Windows.

Classic pontification. Of course, Mercedes' market share doesn't hold
a candle to Chevrolet. The significance of that comparison will
undoubtedly be lost on someone who can't even keep attributions
straight.

tholen

1> Newsgroups:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.text.tex

1> No 'wildest dreams' about it. I made a very good living out of OS/2
for
1> ten consecutive years. IBM stated at some stage that the OS/2
project
1> had showed a considerable profit.

Trolls like Sulfide Eater never let the facts get in the way of a good
rant, Pitt.

Sulfide Eater

126> In some niche area. The fact remains that its market share does
not hold
126> a candle to that of even OS X, let alone Linux or Windows.

Classic pontification. Of course, Mercedes' market share doesn't hold
a candle to Chevrolet.

Nor does the market share of the Edsel, trollium.
The significance of that comparison will undoubtedly be lost on
someone who can't even keep attributions straight.

Non sequitur; to whom are you referring, tholenator? There is nobody in
this newsgroup who "can't even keep attributions straight", thingamabob.

Heike Svensson

1> No 'wildest dreams' about it. I made a very good living out of OS/2
for
1> ten consecutive years. IBM stated at some stage that the OS/2
project
1> had showed a considerable profit.

[insult deleted] like Sulfide Eater [false accusation deleted], Pitt.

What do your classic erroneous presuppositions have to do with OS/2, tholen?

Whack tholen bot!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

You've got a very optimistic definition of "portable" happening there.
It may come as a surprise to you, but all sorts of #ifdefs and
platform-specific configure scripts and makefiles don't mean that you've
got portable code - all of that is a response to the fact that you've
got _non-portable_ code.

It is more portable than any Java code you can point to. QED.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The existence of that tool is an indication that there is a
portability problem.

Which it solves.
But autoconf does not solve all problems.

Enough of them to fulfil the needs of hundreds of thousands of portable
software packages.
Well - I don't think anyone defines portability as running unchanged on
the platform one specific person considers worth using.

Except I’m talking about an order of magnitude more different platforms than
you are.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

No.

POSIX does the same thing as Windows.

POSIX is designed for portability in a way that Windows is not. Where Win32
uses explicitly-sized types of 32 bits or 16 bits or whatever, POSIX uses
symbolic names that can be handled differently by different implementations.

Consider why there was even a need for a Win64, when there is no “POSIX64â€.

tholen

42> Newsgroups:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.text.tex

42> Whack tholen bot!

Who is "bot", Svensson? There is nobody in this newsgroup using
that alias. And what does your desire for that "bot" to whack tholen
have to do with OS/2, Svensson?