Java vs. C#

John Bokma

Sherm Pendley said:
I've seen a candidate show up for an interview where the ad clearly
stated we needed someone to help maintain some existing Perl code. He
dodged all of the questions about Perl, and basically tried to convince
us to scrap it all and rewrite it in Java.

No, I'm not joking. Needless to say, the interview didn't last long...

:-D I am sure you're not joking. But still I don't understand what
people are thinking when they do so.
<shrug> Your loss. I'll take that money if you don't want it. ;-)

If you really want it, email me. I do get now and then asked if I can do
PHP coding and I really don't want to do it anymore. I know my
limitations, and just do not want to learn (more) PHP [1] if I can avoid
it. It's the same reason why I didn't like German as a language much,
too similar to Dutch (my 1st language). While I can switch between
programming languages, it eats up time, and in my experience more if the
languages are somewhat similar.

I want to get better at Perl and get much better at Python. And then
there is Haskell, LUA, Ruby, and Perl 6 (somewhere in the future). So
many languages, so little time.

Hope this all doesn't make me a programming n00b :D. (j/k)

[1] despite having recently bought two good books on PHP.