Java vs. JavaApplet execution speed

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomas_Bj=F6rklund?=

Hi!

I know there is some talk about Java execution speed beeing pretty
good compared to C nowadays with JIT. My question now is weather this also
applies to some level in Java Applets or if there are some inherent
slowdowns from in example the added security?

To clarify, I am not talking about graphics now but raw math computing
speed. I also plan to run the applets outside a browser, possibly in
another Java application.

Cheers,
Tomas Björklund

Roedy Green

I know there is some talk about Java execution speed beeing pretty
good compared to C nowadays with JIT. My question now is weather this also
applies to some level in Java Applets or if there are some inherent
slowdowns from in example the added security?

Applets have speeded up considerably with Java 1.4, particularly the
start up time of the first applet. JVM startup time could still do
with some tweaking. I posted a number of ideas for how Sun could do
this. They don't seem very interested.
http://mindprod.com/projgespenster.html

Sun worry mostly about servers where startup time is not a issue.

I want instant Java Web Start loads and Applets loads, even the first
one.

Jesper Nordenberg

Tomas Björklund said:
Hi!

I know there is some talk about Java execution speed beeing pretty
good compared to C nowadays with JIT. My question now is weather this also
applies to some level in Java Applets or if there are some inherent
slowdowns from in example the added security?

To clarify, I am not talking about graphics now but raw math computing
speed. I also plan to run the applets outside a browser, possibly in
another Java application.

I would be surprised if a Java applet is slower than a similar Java
application. It's run using the same JVM so there shouldn't be any
difference in raw speed. The JVM always uses security checks (more or
less), so that shouldn't affect performance either.

My recommendation is to make a Web Start application instead of an
applet. It uses a restricted sandbox by default (just like an applet)
and it is included in all the latest JRE's.

/Jesper Nordenberg

Andy Fish

Jesper Nordenberg said:
Tomas Björklund <[email protected]> wrote in message

I would be surprised if a Java applet is slower than a similar Java
application. It's run using the same JVM so there shouldn't be any
difference in raw speed. The JVM always uses security checks (more or
less), so that shouldn't affect performance either.

AFAIK the security checks will only actually happen if java is running with
a security manager enabled. This will be all the time with an applet but not
when it's an application unless you explicitly specify one.

However, if you're talking about raw math I would not expect any security
checks to be taking place so I would think the execution time would be
identical