java web browser

Miguel De Anda

Is there some java based web browser (free) that I can use as part of my
application? Is there any that are close to the current Mozilla browser? Can
it do javascript? Can it have embedded Flash, Real, etc.? If not, is there
any chance of such a thing existing? I heard that Mozilla was trying to port
to java (Jazilla). I wasn't able to find too much information on that. Was
the project abandoned?

Harald Hein

Miguel De Anda said:
Is there some java based web browser (free) that I can use as part
of my application?

Jave comes with the remains of Suns old Hotjva browser. JTextPanel
decends from it and is rather limited. But you can start to build some
kind of browser around it.

You can also use JavaHelp. The tools are nice, but it is also build
around JTextPanel. So capabilities are limited, too.
Is there any that are close to the current
Mozilla browser?

No, not at all.
Can it do javascript? Can it have embedded Flash,
Real, etc.? If not, is there any chance of such a thing existing?

No. No. Extremely unlikely. Writing a modern browser requires a lot of
effort.
I heard that Mozilla was trying to port to java (Jazilla).

Not the Mozilla project, some other people. But it is currently very
limited.
wasn't able to find too much information on that. Was the project
abandoned?

http://jazilla.sourceforge.net/

Gerbrand van Dieijen

Is there some java based web browser (free) that I can use as part of my
application? Is there any that are close to the current Mozilla browser? Can
it do javascript? Can it have embedded Flash, Real, etc.? If not, is there
any chance of such a thing existing? I heard that Mozilla was trying to port
to java (Jazilla). I wasn't able to find too much information on that. Was
the project abandoned?

Depending on your needs, you could use Mozilla itself, since it is ported
to many platforms. With some effort I could be integrated into Java, there
might even be a mozilla-to-java library available, although I couldn't
find it immediately.