JavaDoc package.html in UTF-8

tony

NetBeans 6.0 does not show unicode symbols right for package.html, I
need to know is it my problem or not.
How to write package.html in UTF-8? Do I need insert special tags,
encodings? My file is saved as "UTF-8 without Signature".

Thanks in advance.

Zig

NetBeans 6.0 does not show unicode symbols right for package.html, I
need to know is it my problem or not.
How to write package.html in UTF-8? Do I need insert special tags,
encodings? My file is saved as "UTF-8 without Signature".

Thanks in advance.

The encoding for a HTML document is specified by the Content-Type header
from the HTTP server. When your file is not being served by a HTTP server,
there are still some ways to get the browser / parser to detect the
encoding, but those approaches tend to be flakey.

Your best bet is to use HTML entities instead. See:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_symbols.asp
Thus, your special characters should appear as in your document
(unless they have a well-known entity name such as & which you may use
instead).

HTH,

-Zig

Mark Space

tony said:
NetBeans 6.0 does not show unicode symbols right for package.html, I
need to know is it my problem or not.
How to write package.html in UTF-8? Do I need insert special tags,
encodings? My file is saved as "UTF-8 without Signature".

Thanks in advance.

First, how the heck are you getting UTF-8 into your doc files? The
javadoc tool uses your platform encoding by default.

Second: try adding the -charset option to the javadoc command line.
This sets the <META> tag in your html output. It might clue your browser
what charset is being used. Then, it might not.

-charset name
Specifies the HTML character set for this document. The name should
be a preferred MIME name as given in the IANA Registry. For example:

C:> javadoc -charset "iso-8859-1" mypackage

would insert the following line in the head of every generated page:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1">

I assume that "UTF-8" would work here as well as "iso-8859-1"

Try reading the reference for yourself, that's what I did. I've never
used any of these options before:

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html#charset>

tony

Hmm...
Seems that NetBeans does not know what encoding to use when showing
package.html in JavaDoc panel:

"Проверка руÑÑких букв. "

instead of

"Ïðîâåðêà ðóññêîãî òåêñòà."