JavaScript controlling frame contents

clemenr

Hi. I would like to know if the following is feasible in JavaScript.

I would create a frameset where the top frame includes JavaScript. The
bottom frame would be directed to the login page of an existing content
management system. The javascript would then fill in the login name and
password of the form, and submit the form to log in. If this works then
the bottom frame would be replaced with another page requesting that a
link be followed to log in properly. The JavaScript in the top frame
would then make the bottom frame follow the link, so that the user's
home page would appear in the bottom frame. The JavaScript would then
follow two more links so that some content of interest would appear in
the bottom frame.

The top frame with the JavaScript would include a form. The JavaScript
would load all or some of the source code of the bottom frame into a
form variable, and then submit that frame to a cgi script, allowing the
contents to be stored.

In short I want a robot that will keep track of content in the content
management system. I've tried writing a perl program to login to the
system and poll the page in question, but it doesn't work, for reasons
unknown (seems to obtain a valid sessionId, but requests to the page of
interest return an empty page). Hence, I'm looking at a JavaScript
solution.

The robot would only work for one page on one content management
system. It would not have to be compatible with more than one browser.
All else being equal I'd prefer to use mozilla as the host.

I have programmed in JavaScript in the past, but am rusty.

Any comments?

Cheers,

Ross-c

clemenr

PS: I don't know if I'll get a reply, but I thought I'd just mention
that I've overcome one hurdle. Since my JavaScript containing frame
source is stored on my local hard drive, I am able to overcome the
security restrictions involved in reading and setting document
properties across different domains and with different protocols (http
versus https).

Cheers,

Ross-c