Javascript Error Meaning

Wade

11182005 2023 GMT-5

Im doing a totorial and Im getting a great deal of errors but being so
new, I do not understand what they mean:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)
[nslXPCComponents.lookupMethod]" nsresult: "0x80570009
(NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://global/content/XPCNativeWrapper.js :: anonymous :: line 91"
data: no]

This is from Firefox on Linux and I have IE through Wine and it doesnt
work at all (the page that is).

Can someone tell me what this means. And can you do something about
this?

Wade

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Wade said:
11182005 2023 GMT-5
So?

Im doing a totorial and Im getting a great deal of errors but being so
new, I do not understand what they mean:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)
[nslXPCComponents.lookupMethod]" nsresult: "0x80570009
(NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://global/content/XPCNativeWrapper.js :: anonymous :: line 91"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
data: no]

This is from Firefox on Linux and I have IE through Wine and it doesnt
work at all (the page that is).

Can someone tell me what this means.

It is an exception thrown by an internal component of Firefox. If you
accessed the included `chrome' URI like I did [in Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U;
Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.0.7 (Debian package
1.0.7-1) Mnenhy/0.7.2.0], you would have seen that it refers to this:

XPCNativeWrapper.prototype =
{
// ...
_doImportProperty:
function(aPropName)
{
// the following line caused the exception
var nativeMethod = Components.lookupMethod(this.mUntrustedObject,
aPropName);
var theGetter = function()
{
return nativeMethod.call(this.mUntrustedObject);
};
var theSetter = function(val)
{
return nativeMethod.call(this.mUntrustedObject, val);
};

this.__defineGetter__(aPropName, theGetter);
this.__defineSetter__(aPropName, theSetter);
}
};

See said:
And can you do something about this?

You need to track down the error to the line in your source code where
it occurs (if it occurs there), then post the line (and adjacent lines)
that probably caused the problem. Maybe you have discovered a bug in
an interface or an extension, maybe you have used this interface wrong.
There is no way of telling unless you show some source code (please, do
not post hundreds of lines of unformatted/uncommented source code here!).

If the exception clearly does not originate from your source code and
still bothers you, you can

a) disable display of internal exceptions (there should be a
pref for it, I don't remember, use Google)
b) update the extension that caused it
c) uninstall the extension that caused it
d) upgrade to the latest release version to see if it was fixed
e) update to the latest nightly build to see if it was fixed

In that order.

HTH

PointedEars

Wade

11192005 0829 GMT-5

Thanks for that PointedEars.
You said post the source code - so Im assuming you are talking about
the chrome element and not my webpage code. The tutorial I was working
on only has 64 lines of code with it.

How did you gain access to that code you posted?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Wade said:
11192005 0829 GMT-5

What do you think is accomplished by posting that?
Thanks for that PointedEars.
You said post the source code - so Im assuming you are talking about
the chrome element and not my webpage code.

No, I am talking about your source code that may have called the internal
code which thrown the exception.

If it did not access an AOM/DOM component, it is not your fault but either
that of the developer of an installed Firefox extension or that of one or
more of the people working for and with the Mozilla Organization (I happen
to be one of the latter at times). If that is so, you should file a bug
The tutorial I was working on only has 64 lines of code with it.

How many lines does not matter regarding what may have caused the error.
What interfaces it may access does matter, and 64 lines of code here are
OK with me.
How did you gain access to that code you posted?

I typed the `chrome' URI in the Location Bar and pressed Return.

PointedEars

matty

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)
[nslXPCComponents.lookupMethod]" nsresult: "0x80570009
(NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://global/content/XPCNativeWrapper.js :: anonymous :: line 91"
data: no]

Most likely you are passing a null or a non-object to a component
function that requires a javascript object. Do an alert (typeof xyz);
before passing xyz to that function.

The function would be from a component that is external from Javascript
(e.g. XMLHttp) or an activex object or something like that.