Javascript iframe.location iframe.title

ptarjan

I'm trying to make a little website that allows you to post back the
answer to your search query. I print out some HTML and then put an
IFRAME below to let people navigate around to find the answer. Then I
want a little button that they can click that says 'The page I'm
looking at satisfies my query'. This is where the problem lies.

document.getElementById('iframe').location gives me permission denied
(since it is from another domain) and the .src attribute is just the
original page that I loaded in, not the current one they are looking
at. I have tried history.current and other framesets. I can't find any
way to find out what they are looking at. I even tried a button they
add to their bookmarks to do it, but that can't read the data in the
iframe either. I can't even get privilege escalation to work. I'd be
happy to notify the user that they are giving me rights to do this
(since nothing malicious is happening) but I can't even get a box to
pop up.
netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalBrowserRead")
doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

Also, I want the main title to change as they keep navigating around
to show the title of the subframe. But again, the iframe won't let me
grab its title or even the HTML to parse myself. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

dd

document.getElementById('iframe').location gives me permission denied
(since it is from another domain) and the .src attribute is just the
original page that I loaded in, not the current one they are looking

I really don't think there's a solution to this. It's
basically spying. If you were allowed to do that, then
anyone who puts a wrapper around a google page and gets
people to use it (with them thinking they were really
at google) would find every page they visited being
able to be recorded. This isn't a bug or an oversight,
it's something the browsers are actively avoiding you
to be able to do.

ptarjan

I really don't think there's a solution to this. It's
basically spying. If you were allowed to do that, then
anyone who puts a wrapper around a google page and gets
people to use it (with them thinking they were really
at google) would find every page they visited being
able to be recorded. This isn't a bug or an oversight,
it's something the browsers are actively avoiding you
to be able to do.

Thank you. Is there any way that I CAN do this? I don't mind asking
the user for permission, or getting them to install a toolbar or
something. I want the functionality and I don't mind telling the user
that I am about to 'spy' on them, because I think the users want this
functionality too.