JavaScript in Password Protected Folder?

Richard Cornford

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
In the above posting, you stated that

| [StanD's] posting software appears to exhibiting faulty behaviour
| in its handling of the "References" header in [StanD's] postings.

which I have come to recognize as truth, and

| It has sent (split across lines at the location of spaces to avoid
| uncontrolled wrapping):-

which is wrong anyway. Now, on closer inspection, I fail to observe
wrapped References here, so it is likely that your news client
software does this by default (which is perfectly OK, nevertheless
it makes the above statement wrong). ...
<snip>

That is probably the origin of your misconception. My statement was
intended to indicate that I had wrapped the reported header, and explain
how I had gone about it (replacing spaces with newlines). I wrapped it
myself because I knew that my newsreader would attempt to wrap it a 72
characters if I did not, and I did not want it splitting the message IDs
as they were important to the point I was attempting to make.

(please note that English is not my native tongue) ...
<snip>

Fair enough. Though accompanying your assertion of nonsense with an
explanation of why you thought it nonsense would have allowed me to
explain that than wrapping of the header (or lack thereof) was not the
issue.
... . The web interface used for posting
(www.Forum4designers.com gateway) is malfunctioning,

They claim to have fixed it. Time will tell. But forum4designers are not
the only site out there using this software so it will be a recurring
problem for a while yet even if forum4designers' version is now working
properly.
I think neither of our news client software is in this
regard. (But note that my software nevertheless displayed
the forum4designers.com posting as followup to the OP,
as it was intended :) Randy may find this interesting, as
he is also using a mozilla.org product, but of an earlier
release version.)

Given the 4 possible places in the thread that the message could have
been inserted by a newsreader, I could see three likely possibilities:
Recognising that the header was meaningless and placing the response as
a reply to the OP. Recognising an initial sequence of OP then my reply,
then giving up when the chain came to an end and placing it as a reply
to me. Or, working back from the end and placing the message as a reply
to Randy. All seem reasonable ways of handling a header malformed in
that way.

It all goes to show what sort of wrong thinking there is in the minds of
the authors of the posting software, who seem to think that an
unthreaded web forum style interface can be sensibly integrated with
Usenet.

Richard.

Robert

Java is the only other possibility that I can see, but I have no idea
of its future -- especially on the Windows platform.

You can download the Java runtime for free from Sun.

Furthermore,
since this application is targeted towards end users, I don't want
people to have to go through any hassle to run it -- and this includes
installing additional components.

This is true.

I read where Microsoft was planning in the future to ship the Sun
runtime library with some future version of Windows. I think I read it
in the papers. I couldn't find a reference to this on the Microsoft
web site. Could have been a legal dodge.
Oh well, if it weren't a challenge, it wouldn't be fun :D

You could patent anything new or somewhat new.