JavaScript Navbar

michaaal

Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the left or top of
the page)? It seems that sometimes they are a little confusing to the
average car user, but maybe it's just me. I want my site to be able to be
used by even the simplest user.

Any thoughts?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

michaaal said:
Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the
left or top of the page)?

As long as it also works without client-side scripting, no.

PointedEars

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Tue,
3 Aug 2004 01:00:56, seen in michaaal
Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the left or top of
the page)? It seems that sometimes they are a little confusing to the
average car user, but maybe it's just me. I want my site to be able to be
used by even the simplest user.

If the bar contains ordinary text links, it should be safe enough.

But if it uses mapping, or something, it may be that the effects are
browser-dependent. I recall one site's NavBar which, although
presumably navigable in IE6 width 600, is ludicrously inaccessible in
IE4 width 480. It may well be even worse for users with browsers
adapted to the visually handicapped - you should be sure that your site
would pass muster under the provisions of, for example, the DAA.

Consider also navigation by search engines, if you want your pages to be
found; always provide an infallible means of navigation, even if you
intend to provide something 'cleverer' in addition.

Ivo

Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the left or top of
the page)? It seems that sometimes they are a little confusing to the
average car user, but maybe it's just me. I want my site to be able to be
used by even the simplest user.

Any thoughts?

The simplest user wants a static page with little or no scrolling. The
average user is happy with one level deep submenu's, ie menu's that popup
when a main menu item is moused over or clicked. But whatever happens should
be clear in advance and not go further than that. Yes, I 'd hesitate.

Edd

I don't have the original post for this thread, so i'm replying to this one.

I have made a version of what the op appears to want, though I made it for a
specific purpose and so is not very general. Also, it's not documented. But I'm
sure it can be hacked into shape for another person's needs without too much effort.

Try http://www.nunswithguns.net/misc.html for the download link.

Browse the rest of the site (e.g. http://www.nunswithguns.net/ssrt.html) to see
how the Next/Previous/Up browsing system works.

Hope that helps,

Edd

Edd

Andrew said:
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:06:50 +0100, Edd wrote:
(Dr. J.S., trimmed, reinstated..)

It seems your nav. system vanishes completely
in a non-JS browser (the links on the left,
light on black)..

How does that figure as providing
'an infallible means of navigation'?

It does need fixing, I admit. The point was there might be something of use
there for the op so I responded. I certainly don't pretend the system is
infallible to non-JS browsers. The entrance to my site states otherwise for the
time being.
At the very least I (as a user of your site)
should expect to understand why you devoted
an entire column of black, to the small logo
at the top of the column. ..and why you
seem to have devoted an entire site to a
single page with two downloads, and
...dang! Where did those cool
ray-tracing images go?

I think you need a little application of
the <noscript> tag, otherwise the page just
does not make sense..

It's being done =)
[ BTW I liked the ray-traces. :) ]

Thanks =)