    average car user, but maybe it's just me. I want my site to be able to be
    used by even the simplest user.

    Any thoughts?

    michaaal, Aug 3, 2004

  2. michaaal wrote:
    > Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the
    > left or top of the page)?

    As long as it also works without client-side scripting, no.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 3, 2004

  3. JRS: In article <ctBPc.15376$>, dated Tue,
    3 Aug 2004 01:00:56, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, michaaal
    <> posted :

    >Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the left or top of
    >the page)? It seems that sometimes they are a little confusing to the
    >average car user, but maybe it's just me. I want my site to be able to be
    >used by even the simplest user.

    If the bar contains ordinary text links, it should be safe enough.

    But if it uses mapping, or something, it may be that the effects are
    browser-dependent. I recall one site's NavBar which, although
    presumably navigable in IE6 width 600, is ludicrously inaccessible in
    IE4 width 480. It may well be even worse for users with browsers
    adapted to the visually handicapped - you should be sure that your site
    would pass muster under the provisions of, for example, the DAA.

    Consider also navigation by search engines, if you want your pages to be
    found; always provide an infallible means of navigation, even if you
    intend to provide something 'cleverer' in addition.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20; Win98. ©
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.

    Dr John Stockton, Aug 3, 2004
  4. michaaal

    Ivo Guest

    "michaaal" wrote
    > Does anyone hesitate to use a JavaScript NavBar (along the left or top of
    > the page)? It seems that sometimes they are a little confusing to the
    > average car user, but maybe it's just me. I want my site to be able to be
    > used by even the simplest user.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    The simplest user wants a static page with little or no scrolling. The
    average user is happy with one level deep submenu's, ie menu's that popup
    when a main menu item is moused over or clicked. But whatever happens should
    be clear in advance and not go further than that. Yes, I 'd hesitate.

    Ivo, Aug 4, 2004
  5. michaaal

    Edd Guest

    I don't have the original post for this thread, so i'm replying to this one.

    I have made a version of what the op appears to want, though I made it for a
    specific purpose and so is not very general. Also, it's not documented. But I'm
    sure it can be hacked into shape for another person's needs without too much effort.

    Try http://www.nunswithguns.net/misc.html for the download link.

    Browse the rest of the site (e.g. http://www.nunswithguns.net/ssrt.html) to see
    how the Next/Previous/Up browsing system works.

    Hope that helps,

    Edd

    Edd, Aug 9, 2004
  6. michaaal

    Edd Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:06:50 +0100, Edd wrote:
    > (Dr. J.S., trimmed, reinstated..)
    >

    >>>..always provide an infallible means of navigation,
    >>>even if you intend to provide something 'cleverer' in addition.

    >>I don't have the original post for this thread,
    >>so i'm replying to this one.

    > It seems your nav. system vanishes completely
    > in a non-JS browser (the links on the left,
    > light on black)..
    >
    > How does that figure as providing
    > 'an infallible means of navigation'?

    It does need fixing, I admit. The point was there might be something of use
    there for the op so I responded. I certainly don't pretend the system is
    infallible to non-JS browsers. The entrance to my site states otherwise for the
    time being.

    > At the very least I (as a user of your site)
    > should expect to understand why you devoted
    > an entire column of black, to the small logo
    > at the top of the column. ..and why you
    > seem to have devoted an entire site to a
    > single page with two downloads, and
    > ...dang! Where did those cool
    > ray-tracing images go?
    >
    > I think you need a little application of
    > the <noscript> tag, otherwise the page just
    > does not make sense..

    It's being done =)

    > [ BTW I liked the ray-traces. :) ]

    Thanks =)