Javascript often very slow

Chris Zopers

Hello,

We're developing an ASP.NET / C# intranet application. All users use
Internet Explorer 6.0 and JavaScript is always enabled.

In a HTML table, we use an onclick event on each tablerow and in that
onclick event (javascript) we save some values in hidden fields.

Most of the time, this works very fast, but it also happens a lot of
times that the internet browser respons very slow or gets stuck. We
really don't know what causes this, because in the javascript we do only
simple things such as setting values in hidden fields.

Is there anyone who recognizes this problem and knows some possible
solutions?

Greetings,
Chris

David Golightly

Hello,

We're developing an ASP.NET / C# intranet application. All users use
Internet Explorer 6.0 and JavaScript is always enabled.

In a HTML table, we use an onclick event on each tablerow and in that
onclick event (javascript) we save some values in hidden fields.

Most of the time, this works very fast, but it also happens a lot of
times that the internet browser respons very slow or gets stuck. We
really don't know what causes this, because in the javascript we do only
simple things such as setting values in hidden fields.

Is there anyone who recognizes this problem and knows some possible
solutions?

Greetings,
Chris

*** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

You don't happen to be using any additional client metrics/analytics
services, such as Omniture? They're notoriously slow and erratic, and
could be firing off synchronous callbacks while your users wait.

-David

Chris Zopers

Hello,

We do not use any additional client metrics/analytics
services, but we do use AJAX.
We have assigned some new attributes to each tablerow, like ID, Code,
etcetera and all we do in the onclick event is setting the values of
these attributes into hidden fields. And everything works really fast
most of the time, but sometimes it takes a very long time or the browser
gets stuck. Strange problem. Is there anything known about javascript
and/or Ajax that could cause this type of behavior?

David Golightly

everything works really fast
most of the time, but sometimes it takes a very long time or the browser
gets stuck. Strange problem. Is there anything known about javascript
and/or Ajax that could cause this type of behavior?

*** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

Well, potentially yes, there are lots of "potential" causes for memory
leaks in JavaScript, all of which can be avoided using proper
techniques. There's nothing "inherent" about JavaScript or Ajax that
causes unavoidable memory leaks - those are caused by circular
references in closures (such as event handlers or XMLHttpRequest
callbacks) that don't get cleaned up, but it's impossible to tell
without some representative code.

-David