Javascript on Nokia 6630 browser (Series 60 software platform)

Daniel Kabs

Hello there,

I have a Nokia 6630 phone that is based on the Series 60 Software Platform.
-> http://www.series60.com/

These "smartphones" are said to support HTML 4.01 and "a subset of
JavaScript 1.5, which includes the most commonly used functions found on
the Internet".
-> http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,58711,00.html

If you are interested, you can look at the document
"Series 60 Developer Platform: Designing XHTML Mobile Profile Content v1.3"
-> http://www.forum.nokia.com -> Resources -> Documents -> Browsing
There it reads:
8.11 ECMAScript Mobile Profile
This information applies for Series 60 Platform 2nd Edition,
Feature Pack 1 and onwards.
ECMAScript MP is a scripting language used with XHTML MP to provide added
intelligence to the mobile browser and dynamic behavior to XHTML MP
documents. ECMAScript MP is based on ECMAScript defined by ECMA 262.
(Supported with minor exceptions)
For more information, see http://www.openmobilealliance.org/.

If you open this URL, you can find the exact specifications for "ECMAScript
Mobile Profile A Wireless Markup Scripting Language Version 1.0"
->
http://www.openmobilealliance.org/r...3-20050118-C/OMA-WAP-ESMP-V1_0-20040709-C.pdf

Finally, you scrap all that reading and try such a simple thing like
<script type='text/ecmascript'>
alert('hello world');
</script>
but it does not work. :-(

Did anybody successfully run Javascript code on a web page displayed by a
mobile like that and how did you do it?

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
Germany

Fred Oz

Daniel said:
Hello there, [...]

Finally, you scrap all that reading and try such a simple thing like
<script type='text/ecmascript'>
alert('hello world');
</script>
but it does not work. :-(

I had a bit of a browse through your extensive list of
references, seems your script should work fine.

Did you try:

<script type="text/javascript">

or just plain:

<script>

Sorry but I don't have a Nokia 6630 handy that I can try it on
myself.

Fred Oz

Daniel said:
Hello there,

I have a Nokia 6630 phone that is based on the Series 60 Software Platform.
-> http://www.series60.com/

These "smartphones" are said to support HTML 4.01 and "a subset of
JavaScript 1.5, which includes the most commonly used functions found on
the Internet".
-> http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,58711,00.html

Hmmm, there is a PDF here:

<URL:http://pww.evitech.fi/courses/mobserv04/BrowserNokia.pdf >

that seems to indicate on page 30 that the 6630's Series 60
platform does not support JavaScript (or ecmascript).

On page 36, the Series 80 platform says it supports JavaScript
1.3 and 1.5 (partly), but also that:

"The Nokia 9500 Communicator is the first device compatible
with Series 80 Developer Platform 2.0."

Which seems to mimic the claim made for the 6630 on the Nokia
site. Maybe they put the wrong info on their site (nah,
couldn't be...).

So you may be out of luck.

Daniel Kabs

Hello Fred,

thanks for paying careful attention. Do you think we'll ever manage to wade
through this pile of documents? :)

Interesting! I found a recent version (V1.5) of this document. You can grab
it on
-> http://www.forum.nokia.com
searching for its name "Browser Characteristics In Nokia GSM Devices".

What exactly did you find that indicated a lack of support for javascript /
ecmascript?

Table 5.7 says "Series 60 Platform 2nd Edition Feature Pack 2" is supported
for the Nokia 6630. To get the Feature Pack's specification, I searched for
this string on
-> http://www.forum.nokia.com
and grabbed the document
"Series 60 Platform 2nd Edition Feature Pack 2: What­'s New - Lead Features
And APIs"

There on page 9 you can read:
2.4 Browsing
2.4.1 XHTML Mobile Profile 1.1
The browser supports XHTML 1.1 MP, HTML 4.01, and WML for legacy support.
XHTML Mobile Profile 1.1 is a strict superset of XHTML Basic and a strict
superset of XHTML Mobile Profile 1.0, having support for the Scripting
Module and Intrinsic Events Module [XHTM].

The "ECMAScript Mobile Profile" that I quoted it in my original posting is
not mentioned here. So maybe Nokia is unsure about what exactly is
supported!
On page 36, the Series 80 platform says it supports JavaScript
1.3 and 1.5 (partly), but also that:

That's right. Series 80 Developer Platform 2.0 Table 8.1 *explicitly*
mentions Scripting support ("JavaScript 1.5 (with minor exceptions)", where
the Series 60 Developer Platform 2nd Ed. Table 5.1 only lists WMLScript
version WAP 1.2 for the Nokia 6630.

So you are probably right, I'm out of luck with JS on the 6630.

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
Germany

Daniel Kabs

Hi!

I tried...
and

<script type="text/javascript">

as well as

but to no avail.

Sorry but I don't have a Nokia 6630 handy that I can try it on
myself.

Hehehe, me neither. I use the simulator (aka. "Series 60 Content Authoring
SDK 2.0 for Symbian OS") that you can grab from www.forum.nokia.com.

But a few days ago I managed to get hold of a "real one" and directed it to
a web page with simple Javascript code (image reloading stuff). Needless to
say that it did not work. Instead the Nokia browser displayed all the text
that was contained in <noscript> elements. A *strong* hint that the 6630
does not support scripting, I would say.

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
Germany

Jim Ley

Hello there,

I have a Nokia 6630 phone that is based on the Series 60 Software Platform.
-> http://www.series60.com/

These "smartphones" are said to support HTML 4.01 and "a subset of
JavaScript 1.5, which includes the most commonly used functions found on
the Internet".
-> http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,58711,00.html

AIUI the 6630 is a skinned netfront, netfront does do javascript, and
I have had it before, but I've not tested on the 6630's phone.

According to:
http://nds.nokia.com/uaprof/N6630r100.xml
js is supported aswell.

Jim.