    http://www.karlscave.net

    Look at my portfolio on pg 2, the wheel could have been done in
    javascript but it's a heck of a lot more fun in flash. See ya
    Karl, Feb 19, 2009

  2. Karl

    Tim Greer Guest

    Karl wrote:

    > I was wondering what you guys think about when to use javascript and
    > when to use flash.  Javascript can usually do most things flash does
    > movement etc.  My rule is that when the browsers start to bicker and
    > disagree- like in the area of writing drag- and drop javascript, I use
    > flash.  I love flash and use it usually every day.  Check out my site
    > for an example

    I prefer Javascript, because if people don't have it (or don't have it
    enabled), they see the (same) static content, and if they have it
    enabled, the content can interact with their browser in real-time (for
    all intents and purposes), whereas Flash if it's not installed, you
    don't see alternative content in my experience. I don't mind flash,
    but I believe too many sites rely upon it, and some solely rely on it.
    I've had slow browsing experiences and a lot of different browsers
    crash (on a lot of different platforms) due to too much flash
    overloading (or whatever the particular problem is), so I don't really
    enjoy flash personally.

    That's just my view on the matter, everyone has their own. I recall a
    designer telling me that non flash sites are boring and "too old
    school". In a way, he was right with his examples he made, but then I
    just made the interactive portions of the web site in question from
    JavaScript and he viewed it and said "that's what I'm talking about!"
    and I said "Look at the source", he thought it was flash from a
    browsing perspective. I like things to work in any browser, including
    text browsers (and this is more important than conforming to XML strict
    "checking site" reports to me). Sometimes, there's a fine line of
    balance between compatability and looking good and not being boring...
    of course that all still comes down to opinion anyway.
    Tim Greer, Feb 20, 2009

  3. On 2009-02-19, Karl wrote:
    > I was wondering what you guys think about when to use javascript and
    > when to use flash. Javascript can usually do most things flash does
    > movement etc. My rule is that when the browsers start to bicker and
    > disagree- like in the area of writing drag- and drop javascript, I use
    > flash. I love flash and use it usually every day. Check out my site
    > for an example
    >
    > http://www.karlscave.net
    >
    > Look at my portfolio on pg 2,

    What page 2? There is no link to anything but the same page.

    > the wheel could have been done in
    > javascript but it's a heck of a lot more fun in flash. See ya

    I cannot see the flash on your site.

    I use flashblock (99% of the flash on the Web is annoying and
    detracts from the page rather than adds to it).

    To see a piece of flash, I need to click on it; unfortunately (or
    should I say, "fortunately"?), your flash seems to be behind some
    other element and I cannot click on it.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Feb 20, 2009
  4. On Feb 19, 2:28 am, Karl <> wrote:
    > I was wondering what you guys think about when to use javascript and
    > when to use flash.

    Hi Karl,

    To (not) answer your question. Use the appropriate tool in the
    appropriate way to reach the _goals_ of your site. That means
    sometime plain text is best, sometimes javascript, sometimes Flash,
    most of the time some sort of combination of all the above. Each site
    is unique.

    Now, after looking at your flash I can only assume you are a
    beginner. First question. Do you also have spinners on your car? The
    "3D" spinning pages are so "last year" If there are a bunch of
    tutorials and example code to do something, then the cutting edge
    people are probably not doing that any more. This is not to say don't
    use other peoples code, ideas and style. But what you find as
    examples on the web are the basics at best. It is like that kook
    hatter. He bought Swish, he uses the presets, and he thinks he is a
    designer. Expand on these things. Presets, and sample code are a place
    to start, not a finished product.

    Your spinner would look so much better if you had a (gradient)
    reflection of the spinning images. Blur the images (other than scale)
    as they move back. Darken them a little as they move back. What the
    heck is Black text on blue all about?

    Bump the frame rate up! At least 24fps, 30fps is probably better. A
    note on frame rate in Flash. It is a speed limit, not a goal. That
    is, the frame rate in Flash is the FASTEST that the flash player will
    let it play. The viewer's computer dictates how fast that is.

    If you are going to use text in your Flash, then you might as well
    make the text look good. Google kerning. Again, the font you pick is
    a preset. There are a lot of ways to make that font look better. The
    simplest way is to Kern it.

    Go to http://kuler.adobe.com/ and learn about colors.

    If you are "really" going to get into Flash, then you have to learn
    video and motion graphics. ALL the really freaking cool Flash
    animations are done in AfterEffects. Flash, video, and motion
    graphics are joined at the hip.

    You know the drop shadow you used? CHANGE IT! Don't use the defaults
    that are set when you turn on the drop shadow effect. Play with the
    shadow, the angle, the spread, opacity. Own the shadow. Try setting
    the distance to 0 and raising the spread, this gives a very cool
    looking shadow. Work with the presets.

    Watch the best, and imitate them.

    http://www.2advanced.com/
    http://www.creaktif.com/

    Your off to a good start. Remember Flash is a visual thing. Your
    design skills are very important. You will not be taken seriously as a
    Flash developer unless you have Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects,
    and you have to know how to edit video.

    And remember NO PRESETS!
    Travis Newbury, Feb 20, 2009