Javascript to Validate the Phone Number Field Using Javascript :-)

Abhishek

Hi this is my another validator in javascript to validate the Phone
Number :)

<script language='javascript'>
function funcCheckPhoneNumber(ctrtxtMobile,e){
if(window.event){
var strkeyIE = e.keyCode
if(((strkeyIE >= 48) && (strkeyIE <= 57 )) || (strkeyIE >= 40) &&
(strkeyIE <= 41 ) || (strkeyIE == 32) || (strkeyIE == 46)||(strkeyIE
== 45) ){}
else{
return false;}}
else{
var strkeyCode = e.keyCode
var strCharCode = e.charCode
if(((strCharCode >= 48) && (strCharCode <= 57 )) || ((strCharCode
= 40) && (strCharCode <= 41 )) || (strCharCode == 45) ||
(strCharCode==32)|| (strkeyCode==37 )|| (strkeyCode==38) ||
(strkeyCode == 46)||(strCharCode==46)||(strkeyCode==8 ) || (strkeyCode
==9 ) ||(strkeyCode==39) || (strkeyCode ==35) || (strkeyCode ==36) ||
(strkeyCode==9)){}
else{
return false;}}
return true;}

function valFuncReg_PhoneNumber(text,reg){
if(text == null || text == '')return true;
if(reg == null || reg =='')return true;
var regex = new RegExp(reg);var value=text;
var res= (regex.exec(text));
if(res==null){
reg =/^\d*$/;
regex = new RegExp(reg);
res= (regex.exec(text));
}
return (res != null && value == res[0]);}
</script>

The above script can be called on "Onkeypress" event of the TextBox as
follows :

"Onkeypress", "javascript:return funcCheckPhoneNumber(this,event);"

Please feel free to give Comments and Suggessions and Bugs also :)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Abhishek said:
Hi this is my another validator in javascript to validate the Phone
Number :)
[...]
Please feel free to give Comments and Suggessions and Bugs also :)

Please stop posting your clueless, invalid junk code (here). Thanks in advance.

PointedEars

RobG

Hi this is my another validator in javascript to validate the Phone
Number :)

It is much more efficient and a lot less code to use a regular
expression, something like:

function isPhoneChars(n) {
return /^[0-9 ()]*$/.test(n);
}

Forms are much more usable if you do not prevent input if errors are
detected, warn users of errors and let them fix it themselves, e.g.

<script type='text/javascript'>

function isPhoneChars(n) {
return /^[0-9 ()]*$/.test(n);
}

function validate(el) {
if (el.id == 'phone') {
var errEl = document.getElementById('phone_ErroMessage');
if (!isPhoneChars(el.value)) {
errEl.style.visibility = 'visible';
} else {
errEl.style.visibility = 'hidden';

</script>

<input type="text" id="phone" onkeyup="validate(this);">
style="color: red; font-weight: bold; visibility: hidden;"
Phone number must be digits, spaces and brackets only</span>

A quick example only, not intended for production use. Validate at
the server always.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <619396d5-74a5-4b69-8d81-3e22cf669744@a8
g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 5 Aug 2008 00:05:36, RobG
function isPhoneChars(n) {
return /^[0-9 ()]*$/.test(n);
}

That accepts unreasonably short numbers, including "". There is
probably a known minimum length for phone numbers - the Falklands seem
to use 5 digits internally, for example, and Ascension maybe 4. There's
also, IIRC, a maximum allowable length, maybe larger than expected. The
OP should consult ITU recommendations before proceeding.

That allows characters ( ) which cannot be dialled. For consistency, it
should also allow the characters + and - which occur in standard and/or
common forms of printed number.

Since, as well as 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, there are keys for * and #, could
it be that those also ought to be allowed?

<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-valid.htm#VTN> refers. Also
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers>.

Abhishek

--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

Hi Bjoern Hoehrmann, I m sure u haven't tried to run this code, this
code not just for validating the Phone Number, but it has some more .
But anways thanks for ur useful comment regarding my "JUNK POST"..
Keep Posting :)

David Mark

Abhishek said:
Hi this is my another validator in javascript to validate the Phone
Number :)
[...]
Please feel free to give Comments and Suggessions and Bugs also :)
Please stop posting your clueless, invalid junk code (here).  Thanks in advance.
PointedEars
--
    realism:    HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
    madness:    XHTML 1.1 as application/xhtml+xml
                                                   -- Bjoern Hoehrmann

Hi Bjoern Hoehrmann, I m sure u haven't tried to run this code, this

Oh brother. I'm sure he hasn't either.
code not just for validating the  Phone Number, but it has some more .

How very.
But anways thanks for ur useful comment regarding my "JUNK POST"..
Keep Posting :)

Nice attitude. And if you could refrain from posting junk here, that
would be good too! ;)