    http://mindprod.com
    Most of computer code is for telling the computer
    what do if some very particular thing goes wrong.

    Roedy Green, Jul 29, 2011

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    ANT with javac for 1.7 is issuing a warning message on every compile:

    [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
    conjunction with source 1.5

    Any thoughts on why it is complaining?

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products

    Roedy Green, Jul 30, 2011

  3. Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:47:37 -0700, /Roedy Green/:

    > ANT with javac for 1.7 is issuing a warning message on every compile:
    >
    > [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
    > conjunction with source 1.5
    >
    > Any thoughts on why it is complaining?

    Likely because classes get compiled compatible with the Java 5
    format, but then against the Java 7 APIs which may result in linkage
    against APIs not present in Java 5, therefore lead to failures when
    run in such JRE version.

    --
    Stanimir

    Stanimir Stamenkov, Jul 30, 2011
  4. Roedy Green

    BGB Guest

    On 7/29/2011 9:28 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > I was pleased to see some features is JDK 1.7 that I had been asking
    > for since JDK 1.1. I'm surprised at how little there is new in 1.7. I
    > guess the recession made Oracle really pull in their horns. It is
    > mostly just a little syntatic sugar in the compiler.
    >
    > binary literals.
    > underscores in literals to make them easier to proofread
    > string case labels
    > catch can handle multiple Exceptions.
    >
    > I would think the biggest priority for 1.8 would be unifying arrays
    > and generics. They should be compatible, even if it means giving up
    > type erasure.

    IIRC, there should be several new VM features now, namely the addition
    of the invokedynamic instruction and method-handles, as well as several
    new constant-pool entry types, ..., which were planned to be officially
    made available for the 1.7 release (unless something has changed, from
    what I read says they should be there).

    they are mostly intended for aiding in the implementation of dynamic
    languages on the JVM.

    I guess maybe by 1.8 there will be lambdas/closures.

    BGB, Jul 30, 2011