JESS License Ripoff....... Alternatives?

DiscoStu

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post a message about the licensing quote I got
from Sandina National Labratory. I asked how much a license for their
JESS engine would cost for use by a state department of transportation
application. They responded with $10,000 for a lifetime license.....
how can I justify that to my client for just a component of their
requested application?!? The whole project budget isnt more then
$20,000 to begin with.

Are there any other quality rule engines out there that I can
integrate with my Java program. I would really like to use JESS for my
application but the governments unreasonable price gouging makes that
impossible for me. :(

Thanks

Christophe Vanfleteren

DiscoStu said:
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post a message about the licensing quote I got
from Sandina National Labratory. I asked how much a license for their
JESS engine would cost for use by a state department of transportation
application. They responded with $10,000 for a lifetime license.....
how can I justify that to my client for just a component of their
requested application?!? The whole project budget isnt more then
$20,000 to begin with.

Are there any other quality rule engines out there that I can
integrate with my Java program. I would really like to use JESS for my
application but the governments unreasonable price gouging makes that
impossible for me. :(

Thanks

Here's a list:
http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/rule_engines

Haven't had experience with any of them though.

Roedy Green

. They responded with $10,000 for a lifetime license.....

Lifetime of WHAT? If Symantec or Gazelle were the vendor it this is
equivalent to 2 years because the product would be renamed and the old
one would stop functioning.

Buying lifetime support contract is as silly as a lifetime health club
membership.

What may be sensible is a contract guaranteeing annual support will
not rise above some ceiling, but never give money that far ahead for
services where the company or product many not even exist.

The other sort of contract would put source in escrow in case the
vendor folded. Then you can at least have shot at supporting
yourself.

Brad BARCLAY

xarax said:
Open source is probably the way to go, but be sure
to stay away from any GNU-type licensing that contaminates
your intellectual property.

There's nothing wrong with GNU-type licenses -- just ensure that you're
using libraries that are licensed under the LGPL instead of the "normal"
GPL, and you'll be fine.
Read the license terms VERY CAREFULLY.

Always good advice for developers, regardless of whom the license is
coming from.

Brad BARCLAY