JFileChooser TypeAhead behaviour ?

FET

Ho, (Hi is too common)

In more than one article on JavaWorld, I have read that the
JFileChooser in J2SDK 1.4 has a built-in type ahead scheme which
automatically selects the file in the file list as the name is being
typed in the text field. I have not seen this behaviour yet. I am
using JDK 1.4.2. What could be the problem ? Is there some secret way
of enabling it ?
There was also a source file TypeAheadSelector.java in the article
that shows how to implement such an add-on for a JFileChooser. But
that relies on the Center component being a JList. And in the
JFileChooser in JDK 1.4, there is no JList in the Center of
JFileChooser, just some other complex component.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards.

Jim Sculley

FET said:
Ho, (Hi is too common)

In more than one article on JavaWorld, I have read that the
JFileChooser in J2SDK 1.4 has a built-in type ahead scheme which
automatically selects the file in the file list as the name is being
typed in the text field. I have not seen this behaviour yet. I am
using JDK 1.4.2. What could be the problem ? Is there some secret way
of enabling it ?

Doesn't appear to do that on my Linux box under 1.4.2_03 or 1.5.0 beta.
There is something approximating that behavior when you click on a
file in the window. Once it has focus, typing a letter will take you to
the first file starting with that letter.

Jim S.