JMS Overview

Discussion in 'Java' started by Major, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. Major

    Major Guest

    I have been looking on JMS these days and will work on JMS in near
    future. Below is what I learned from the tutorials -

    JMS provider is a server/provider that manages the queue/topic
    depending upon the messaging models used. The sender sends the messages
    to the queue that exist on provider and receiver fetches the messages
    from the provider.

    2 types of messaging domains are there -

    Point to Point
    - As the name suggest, this is one to one messaging. For every message
    there will be a consumer/receiver.
    - A queue is assigned for a receiver and the receiver receives the
    messages from that queue only.
    - One queue can be assigned for multiple receivers.
    - The receiver can retrieve the messages from the queue independent of
    the time (i.e. before the message is timed out). It can be possible
    that the sender put the message on the queue when the receiver was not
    running, but still receiver can receive the message when it wakes up.
    - On successful processing of messages, receiver gives acknowledgement.

    Publish/Subscribe
    - This is one to many messaging. Each message may have multiple
    consumers.
    - Publishers & Subscribers have time dependency. The subscriber must be
    active in order for it to consume message.

    Please put on your comments on this or you can extend it further if you
    want to add some to this. Tell me whether my understanding is correct
    or not. Ideas of application that utilizes various features of JMS will
    be a great help.
    Major, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Major

    Guest

    Hi,

    On publish and subscribe there isn't any ensure that the message will
    be received by the subscribe.

    Any distribute software can take advanced of this mensageing system.
    On of the most knowlegded system is a Chat program. One other can be a
    batch process you send some message for one process you know that can
    take a longer time.

    I hope that can help
    , Apr 20, 2006

  3. Major

    Jim Guest

    On 20 Apr 2006 05:28:08 -0700, "Major" <> wrote:

    >I have been looking on JMS these days and will work on JMS in near
    >future. Below is what I learned from the tutorials -
    >
    >JMS provider is a server/provider that manages the queue/topic
    >depending upon the messaging models used. The sender sends the messages
    >to the queue that exist on provider and receiver fetches the messages
    >from the provider.
    >
    >2 types of messaging domains are there -
    >
    >Point to Point
    >- As the name suggest, this is one to one messaging. For every message
    >there will be a consumer/receiver.

    Almost. You can have multiple senders. This can be used to advantage
    in a multi-threaded application. Each thread does work and posts its
    result to a common consumer.

    >- A queue is assigned for a receiver and the receiver receives the
    >messages from that queue only.
    >- One queue can be assigned for multiple receivers.
    >- The receiver can retrieve the messages from the queue independent of
    >the time (i.e. before the message is timed out). It can be possible
    >that the sender put the message on the queue when the receiver was not
    >running, but still receiver can receive the message when it wakes up.
    >- On successful processing of messages, receiver gives acknowledgement.
    >
    >Publish/Subscribe
    >- This is one to many messaging. Each message may have multiple
    >consumers.
    >- Publishers & Subscribers have time dependency. The subscriber must be
    >active in order for it to consume message.
    >
    >Please put on your comments on this or you can extend it further if you
    >want to add some to this. Tell me whether my understanding is correct
    >or not. Ideas of application that utilizes various features of JMS will
    >be a great help.

    Remember that the message consumer can set up MessageListeners
    so that data may be received asynchronously. Makes life much easier.
    Jim, Apr 21, 2006