Johns Hopkins University Java applets, errors running.

Nasser M. Abbasi

Could someone be kind enough to see if they can run some of
these educational Java applets here

http://www.jhu.edu/~signals/

Some of them do run ok for me, but few do not. Here is example
of the ones that do NOT run for me:

http://www.jhu.edu/~signals/bandwidth/index.html
http://www.jhu.edu/~signals/sensitivity/index.htm
http://www.jhu.edu/~signals/robust2/index.html

and few more. The above give me error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (0) and height (0) cannot be <= 0
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsConfig.createAcceleratedImage(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.createImage(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.createImage(Unknown Source)
at PlotPanel.createGraphics(C:\Msdev\Projects\Robust Stabilization\RobustStabilization.java:572)
at MagPanel.createGraphics(C:\Msdev\Projects\Robust Stabilization\RobustStabilization.java:700)
at BodePanel.createGraphics(C:\Msdev\Projects\Robust Stabilization\RobustStabilization.java:1478)
at WeightingPanel.createGraphics(C:\Msdev\Projects\Robust Stabilization\RobustStabilization.java:1410)
at RobustStabilization.start(C:\Msdev\Projects\Robust Stabilization\RobustStabilization.java:143)
at com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter.start(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
basic: Removed progress listener: sun.plugin.util.ProgressMonitorAdapter@8d26dd

Just wanted to know if the problem is on my end.

I did send email, but I think these applets are not being
maintained any more (as so many applets are on the web these days,
many seem not to work any more. Too bad).

There is no source code, so I can't even try to download them
and try to fix.

My configuration is this: windows 7, Firefox 11, Java 7
update 3. In the browser, I see Java plugin 10.2.1.255 for Mozilla
enabled.

If you try it, and it works for you, can you post
what configuration you have?

Thank you.

--Nasser

Jeff Higgins

Knute Johnson

[...]

They don't run for me, Win XP, SP3, Java 7_03, Firefox 11.0. After
clicking on the "Error. Click for details" I get a dialog that says
Width(0) and Height(0) cannot be <= 0. Clicking on the Details button
of that dialog gets me the Jave Error Console but no errors are listed.

markspace

It works for me.

My configuration is this: windows 7, Firefox 11, Java 7
update 3. In the browser, I see Java plugin 10.2.1.255 for Mozilla
enabled.

Java plugin 10 is weird. I see 6.0.290.11. (Twice, once for the JDK
and once for the actual plugin.) Double check that "10" please, and
check your Java again from the windows command line. What does "java
-version" say?

I'm on windows 6.1, I guess (that's what it prints when the command line
window opens) and Firefox 11.0.

Nasser M. Abbasi

It works for me.

Java plugin 10 is weird. I see 6.0.290.11. (Twice, once for the JDK
and once for the actual plugin.) Double check that "10" please, and
check your Java again from the windows command line. What does "java
-version" say?

I'm on windows 6.1, I guess (that's what it prints when the command line
window opens) and Firefox 11.0.

This is what I see enabled in my firefox Tools->Addon

JDK 7.0.20.255 10.2.1.255
JAVA SE 7 U2 10.2.1.255

screen shot: http://12000.org/tmp/java_plugins/p1.png

command line:
-------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\me>java -version
java version "1.7.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

ps. I started VBox, and installed linux Ubuntu, and using
firefox on linux (inside the VBOX), I can run some
of those applets that I can't run on windows. (one still
does not run, but all the others run).

My linux is running firefox 11 with IcedTea-Web plugin 1.1.3.

thanks,

--Nasser

Arne Vajhøj

They don't run for me, Win XP, SP3, Java 7_03, Firefox 11.0. After
clicking on the "Error. Click for details" I get a dialog that says
Width(0) and Height(0) cannot be <= 0. Clicking on the Details button of
that dialog gets me the Jave Error Console but no errors are listed.

Does it work with Java 6 and fail with Java 7?

If yes then maybe an extra check has been added in 7.

Arne

Knute Johnson

Does it work with Java 6 and fail with Java 7?

If yes then maybe an extra check has been added in 7.

Arne

That could be, I've found some stuff in JavaMail that doesn't work in 7
but does in 6.

Martin Gregorie

That could be, I've found some stuff in JavaMail that doesn't work in 7
but does in 6.
I, for one, would appreciate news of if/when this gets resolved. As my
major application depends on Javamail it looks like I'm stuck on Java 6
until a Java 7 compatible version is released.

markspace

This is what I see enabled in my firefox Tools->Addon

JDK 7.0.20.255 10.2.1.255
JAVA SE 7 U2 10.2.1.255

That's Java 7, update 2.

ps. I started VBox, and installed linux Ubuntu, and using
firefox on linux (inside the VBOX), I can run some
of those applets that I can't run on windows.

This to me suggests a problem with your installation, or the OS config
in general. Maybe delete the Java install, the run a registry cleaner,
then re-install Java.

Knute Johnson

That's Java 7, update 2.

This to me suggests a problem with your installation, or the OS config
in general. Maybe delete the Java install, the run a registry cleaner,
then re-install Java.

They don't work for me under XUbuntu with Java 7 either.