jquery ajax doesn't see javascript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by SM, Jun 11, 2010.

  1. SM

    SM Guest

    Using the selection on the left panel, I load the results on the right
    panel using jQuery Ajax. So far it's working really good:

    $.ajax({
    url: "includes/content.php",
    data: "letter=" + letter.substr(letter.lastIndexOf("=") + 1),

    success: function(data) {
    $('#wrapper').removeClass("loading");
    $('#content').html(data).fadeIn(400);
    }
    });

    After the results are loaded on the right panel, I click on an <a> tag
    that is suppose to trigger some javascript but doesn't:

    inside php file:
    <a class="btn_play">Play</a>

    javasscript to trigger:
    $('a[class=btn_play]').click(function(event) {
    event.preventDefault();

    // get the A tag ref
    var file = $(this).attr('href');

    alert(file);
    });

    The same <a> tag also exists on the left panel and triggers correctly.
    But, on the right panel, it doesn't trigger at all! I believe it's
    because it doesn't see the javascript.

    I'm sure this is come out already, but i can't find the solution.

    Any hints?

    Thanks
    Marco

    SM, Jun 11, 2010

  2. SM

    David Mark Guest

    On Jun 11, 1:01 am, SM <> wrote:
    > Using the selection on the left panel, I load the results on the right
    > panel using jQuery Ajax. So far it's working really good:

    > $.ajax({
    >    url: "includes/content.php",
    >    data: "letter=" + letter.substr(letter.lastIndexOf("=") + 1),
    >
    >    success: function(data) {
    >       $('#wrapper').removeClass("loading");
    >       $('#content').html(data).fadeIn(400);
    >    }});

    > After the results are loaded on the right panel, I click on an <a> tag
    > that is suppose to trigger some javascript but doesn't:
    >
    > inside php file:
    > <a class="btn_play">Play</a>
    >
    > javasscript to trigger:
    > $('a[class=btn_play]').click(function(event) {
    >    event.preventDefault();
    >
    >    // get the A tag ref
    >    var file = $(this).attr('href');
    >
    >    alert(file);
    >
    > });
    >
    > The same <a> tag also exists on the left panel and triggers correctly.
    > But, on the right panel, it doesn't trigger at all! I believe it's
    > because it doesn't see the javascript.
    >
    > I'm sure this is come out already, but i can't find the solution.
    >
    > Any hints?

    Yes. Stop using jQuery. Then you will find that you have to learn (a
    lot) before you can script browsers. I know you don't want to hear
    that, but it's reality. There are no magic scripts that can turn you
    into a JS programmer overnight. This is particularly true of scripts
    written by overconfident neophytes (e.g. jQuery).

    David Mark, Jun 11, 2010

  3. SM

    SAM Guest

    Le 6/11/10 7:01 AM, SM a écrit :
    > Using the selection on the left panel, I load the results on the right
    > panel using jQuery Ajax. So far it's working really good:

    > $.ajax({
    > url: "includes/content.php",
    > data: "letter=" + letter.substr(letter.lastIndexOf("=") + 1),
    >
    > success: function(data) {
    > $('#wrapper').removeClass("loading");
    > $('#content').html(data).fadeIn(400);
    > }
    > });
    >

    > After the results are loaded on the right panel, I click on an <a> tag
    > that is suppose to trigger some javascript but doesn't:
    >
    > inside php file:
    > <a class="btn_play">Play</a>
    >

    > javasscript to trigger:
    > $('a[class=btn_play]').click(function(event) {
    > event.preventDefault();
    >
    > // get the A tag ref
    > var file = $(this).attr('href');
    >
    > alert(file);
    > });

    I don't know at all jquery ...

    try in address bar
    javascript:$('a[class=btn_play]').style.color='red';alert($('a[class=btn_play]').href)

    if jquery finds the link it will be in red
    if the link has an href you'll get a message with this href
    and, if not, I hope you'll get 'undefined'

    if no link(s) found --> nothing firing or error

    > The same <a> tag also exists on the left panel and triggers correctly.
    > But, on the right panel, it doesn't trigger at all! I believe it's
    > because it doesn't see the javascript.

    As that link on has no href, what do you expect to get ?
    Then ... how do you reach the one or the other using :
    $('a[class=btn_play]')
    does that return a collection of all A with class btn_play ?
    if yes, how do you catch one of them ?

    > I'm sure this is come out already, but i can't find the solution.

    function sayMe () {
    if(this.href) alert(this.href);
    else alert('no href !');
    return false;
    }
    function triggerPlays() {
    var play_btns = $('a[class=btn_play]'), n = play_btns.length;
    if(n && n.length>0)
    while(n--) play_btns[n].onclick = sayMe;
    else play_btns.onclick = sayMe;

    sm

    SAM, Jun 11, 2010
  4. SM

    SM Guest

    On Jun 11, 6:09 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 1:01 am, SM <> wrote:
    >

    > > Using the selection on the left panel, I load the results on the right
    > > panel using jQuery Ajax. So far it's working really good:

    > > $.ajax({
    > >    url: "includes/content.php",
    > >    data: "letter=" + letter.substr(letter.lastIndexOf("=") + 1),

    > >    success: function(data) {
    > >       $('#wrapper').removeClass("loading");
    > >       $('#content').html(data).fadeIn(400);
    > >    }});

    > > After the results are loaded on the right panel, I click on an <a> tag
    > > that is suppose to trigger some javascript but doesn't:

    > > inside php file:
    > > <a class="btn_play">Play</a>

    > > javasscript to trigger:
    > > $('a[class=btn_play]').click(function(event) {
    > >    event.preventDefault();

    > >    // get the A tag ref
    > >    var file = $(this).attr('href');

    > >    alert(file);

    > > });

    > > The same <a> tag also exists on the left panel and triggers correctly.
    > > But, on the right panel, it doesn't trigger at all! I believe it's
    > > because it doesn't see the javascript.

    > > I'm sure this is come out already, but i can't find the solution.

    > > Any hints?

    > Yes.  Stop using jQuery.  Then you will find that you have to learn (a
    > lot) before you can script browsers.  I know you don't want to hear
    > that, but it's reality.  There are no magic scripts that can turn you
    > into a JS programmer overnight.  This is particularly true of scripts
    > written by overconfident neophytes (e.g. jQuery).

    My mistake... wrong forum to write this post.

    SM, Jun 11, 2010
  5. SM

    SM Guest

    On Jun 11, 6:40 am, SAM <>
    wrote:
    > Le 6/11/10 7:01 AM, SM a écrit :
    >

    > > Using the selection on the left panel, I load the results on the right
    > > panel using jQuery Ajax. So far it's working really good:

    > > $.ajax({
    > >    url: "includes/content.php",
    > >    data: "letter=" + letter.substr(letter.lastIndexOf("=") + 1),

    > >    success: function(data) {
    > >       $('#wrapper').removeClass("loading");
    > >       $('#content').html(data).fadeIn(400);
    > >    }
    > > });

    > > After the results are loaded on the right panel, I click on an <a> tag
    > > that is suppose to trigger some javascript but doesn't:

    > > inside php file:
    > > <a class="btn_play">Play</a>

    > > javasscript to trigger:
    > > $('a[class=btn_play]').click(function(event) {
    > >    event.preventDefault();

    > >    // get the A tag ref
    > >    var file = $(this).attr('href');

    > >    alert(file);
    > > });

    > I don't know at all jquery ...
    >
    > try in address bar
    > javascript:$('a[class=btn_play]').style.color='red';alert($('a[class=btn_play]').href)
    >
    > if jquery finds the link it will be in red
    > if the link has an href you'll get a message with this href
    > and, if not, I hope you'll get 'undefined'
    >
    > if no link(s) found --> nothing firing or error
    >
    > > The same <a> tag also exists on the left panel and triggers correctly.
    > > But, on the right panel, it doesn't trigger at all! I believe it's
    > > because it doesn't see the javascript.

    > As that link on has no href, what do you expect to get ?
    > Then ... how do you reach the one or the other using :
    >     $('a[class=btn_play]')
    > does that return a collection of all A with class btn_play ?
    > if yes, how do you catch one of them ?
    >
    > > I'm sure this is come out already, but i can't find the solution.

    > function sayMe () {
    > if(this.href) alert(this.href);
    > else alert('no href !');
    > return false;}
    >
    > function triggerPlays() {
    > var play_btns = $('a[class=btn_play]'), n = play_btns.length;
    > if(n && n.length>0)
    > while(n--) play_btns[n].onclick = sayMe;
    > else play_btns.onclick = sayMe;

    > sm

    it works! ...

    SM, Jun 11, 2010
  6. SM wrote:

    > SAM wrote:
    >> function sayMe () {
    >> if(this.href) alert(this.href);
    >> else alert('no href !');
    >> return false;}
    >>
    >> function triggerPlays() {
    >> var play_btns = $('a[class=btn_play]'), n = play_btns.length;
    >> if(n && n.length>0)
    >> while(n--) play_btns[n].onclick = sayMe;
    >> else play_btns.onclick = sayMe;
    >>
    >> }

    > it works! ...

    It is still a bad idea, because you could have easily done without the loop
    and 20K+ of jQuery needed for $(), thanks to built-in event bubbling:

    document.body.onclick = function (e) {
    if (!e)
    {
    e = window.event;
    }

    if (e)
    {
    var t = e.target || e.srcElement;
    if (t && t.tagName.toUpperCase() == "A" && t.className == "btn_play")
    {
    window.alert(t.href || "no href");
    };

    (or wrappers that do more feature testing and prefer the standards-compliant
    approach of adding the event listener)

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jun 11, 2010
  7. Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

    > SM wrote:
    >> SAM wrote:
    >>> function sayMe () {
    >>> if(this.href) alert(this.href);
    >>> else alert('no href !');
    >>> return false;}
    >>>
    >>> function triggerPlays() {
    >>> var play_btns = $('a[class=btn_play]'), n = play_btns.length;
    >>> if(n && n.length>0)
    >>> while(n--) play_btns[n].onclick = sayMe;
    >>> else play_btns.onclick = sayMe;
    >>>
    >>> }

    >> it works! ...

    > It is still a bad idea, because you could have easily done without the
    > loop and 20K+ of jQuery needed for $(), thanks to built-in event bubbling:
    >
    > document.body.onclick = function (e) {
    > if (!e)
    > {
    > e = window.event;
    > }
    >
    > if (e)
    > {
    > var t = e.target || e.srcElement;
    > if (t && t.tagName.toUpperCase() == "A" && t.className ==
    > "btn_play")
    > {
    > window.alert(t.href || "no href");
    > }

    I forgot the `return false' above, so insert here

    if (typeof e.returnValue != "undefined")
    {
    e.returnValue = false;
    }

    if (/^\s*(function|object)\s*$/.test(typeof e.preventDefault)
    && e.preventDefault != null)
    {
    e.preventDefault();
    }

    (or statements to that effect)

    > }
    > };
    >
    > (or wrappers that do more feature testing and prefer the
    > standards-compliant approach of adding the event listener)

    PointedEars
    will want to steal it.)

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jun 11, 2010
  8. SM

    David Mark Guest

    On Jun 11, 9:12 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > SM wrote:
    > > SAM wrote:
    > >> function sayMe () {
    > >> if(this.href) alert(this.href);
    > >> else alert('no href !');
    > >> return false;}

    > >> function triggerPlays() {
    > >> var play_btns = $('a[class=btn_play]'), n = play_btns.length;
    > >> if(n && n.length>0)
    > >> while(n--) play_btns[n].onclick = sayMe;
    > >> else play_btns.onclick = sayMe;

    > >> }

    > > it works! ...

    > It is still a bad idea, because you could have easily done without the loop
    > and 20K+ of jQuery needed for $(), thanks to built-in event bubbling:

    You mean 70K+. They claim 20K "compressed" for the "production"
    version. Of course, that's not the size of the file that you put on
    your server. The server may or may not zip it per request; but
    regardless, it is decidedly inconvenient to try to compare zipped
    sizes with other (normally unzipped) assets. In general, disingenuous
    marketing has made it awkward to talk about the relative sizes of Web
    page assets. Dojo likes to talk about "over the wire" sizes. That's
    there way of saying they aren't going to tell you the size that
    matters, but rather a number that makes their scripts sound smaller
    (e.g. in comparison to HTML documents that sit next to them on the
    server).

    David Mark, Jun 11, 2010
  9. SM

    David Mark Guest

    On Jun 11, 8:27 am, SM <> wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 6:09 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 11, 1:01 am, SM <> wrote:

    > > > Using the selection on the left panel, I load the results on the right
    > > > panel using jQuery Ajax. So far it's working really good:

    > > > $.ajax({
    > > >    url: "includes/content.php",
    > > >    data: "letter=" + letter.substr(letter.lastIndexOf("=") + 1),

    > > >    success: function(data) {
    > > >       $('#wrapper').removeClass("loading");
    > > >       $('#content').html(data).fadeIn(400);
    > > >    }});

    > > > After the results are loaded on the right panel, I click on an <a> tag
    > > > that is suppose to trigger some javascript but doesn't:

    > > > inside php file:
    > > > <a class="btn_play">Play</a>

    > > > javasscript to trigger:
    > > > $('a[class=btn_play]').click(function(event) {
    > > >    event.preventDefault();

    > > >    // get the A tag ref
    > > >    var file = $(this).attr('href');

    > > >    alert(file);

    > > > });

    > > > The same <a> tag also exists on the left panel and triggers correctly..
    > > > But, on the right panel, it doesn't trigger at all! I believe it's
    > > > because it doesn't see the javascript.

    > > > I'm sure this is come out already, but i can't find the solution.

    > > > Any hints?

    > > Yes.  Stop using jQuery.  Then you will find that you have to learn(a
    > > lot) before you can script browsers.  I know you don't want to hear
    > > that, but it's reality.  There are no magic scripts that can turn you
    > > into a JS programmer overnight.  This is particularly true of scripts
    > > written by overconfident neophytes (e.g. jQuery).

    > My mistake... wrong forum to write this post.

    No, it was the right forum to write this post. You have a shot at
    learning something here. If you had posted it to StackOverflow or the
    jQuery forum, you would have gotten a bunch of "try this" responses
    from jQuery fans (and likely without a discouraging word about using a
    dubious 70K script to do what you could accomplish in ten lines of
    code). Programming and blind devotion just don't mix. ;)

    David Mark, Jun 11, 2010
  10. David Mark wrote:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:
    >> It is still a bad idea, because you could have easily done without the
    >> loop and 20K+ of jQuery needed for $(), thanks to built-in event
    >> bubbling:

    > You mean 70K+

    ACK

    > They claim 20K "compressed" for the "production" version. [...]

    Last I checked, they claimed "24K", but given the real figure it does make
    much of a difference.

    PointedEars
    --
    realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jun 11, 2010
  11. SM

    David Mark Guest

    On Jun 11, 1:50 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:
    > >> It is still a bad idea, because you could have easily done without the
    > >> loop and 20K+ of jQuery needed for $(), thanks to built-in event
    > >> bubbling:

    > > You mean 70K+

    > ACK
    >
    > > They claim 20K "compressed" for the "production" version.  [...]

    > Last I checked, they claimed "24K", but given the real figure it does make
    > much of a difference.

    Typo. Meant to write 20K+.

    David Mark, Jun 11, 2010
  12. SM

    SM Guest

    On Jun 11, 10:55 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 8:27 am, SM <> wrote:

    > > > Yes.  Stop using jQuery.  Then you will find that you have to learn (a
    > > > lot) before you can script browsers.  I know you don't want to hear
    > > > that, but it's reality.  There are no magic scripts that can turn you
    > > > into a JS programmer overnight.  This is particularly true of scripts
    > > > written by overconfident neophytes (e.g. jQuery).

    > > My mistake... wrong forum to write this post.

    > No, it was the right forum to write this post.  You have a shot at
    > learning something here.  If you had posted it to StackOverflow or the
    > jQuery forum, you would have gotten a bunch of "try this" responses
    > from jQuery fans (and likely without a discouraging word about using a
    > dubious 70K script to do what you could accomplish in ten lines of
    > code).  Programming and blind devotion just don't mix.  ;)

    My question was simple and the answer has nothing to do with it. I'm a
    programmer and i know my stuff. Obviously, I'm not going to use a
    library for 10 lines of code... who would actually do that? I use a
    library mostly for simple and clean effects and for ajax... that is
    more then 10 lines of code. I don't like the fact that my post was use
    to turn it into a discussion on libraries... talk about blind devotion!

    SM, Jun 11, 2010
  13. SM

    David Mark Guest

    On Jun 11, 5:06 pm, SM <> wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 10:55 am, David Mark <> wrote:

    > > > My mistake... wrong forum to write this post.

    > > No, it was the right forum to write this post.  You have a shot at
    > > learning something here.  If you had posted it to StackOverflow or the
    > > jQuery forum, you would have gotten a bunch of "try this" responses
    > > from jQuery fans (and likely without a discouraging word about using a
    > > dubious 70K script to do what you could accomplish in ten lines of
    > > code).  Programming and blind devotion just don't mix.  ;)

    > My question was simple and the answer has nothing to do with it.

    The answer had nothing to do with what?

    > I'm a
    > programmer and i know my stuff.

    Apparently not enough to eschew jQuery. No crime of course. Just
    learn the lesson.

    > Obviously, I'm not going to use a
    > library for 10 lines of code... who would actually do that?

    Loads.

    > I use a
    > library mostly for simple and clean effects and for ajax...

    jQuery has awful effects and basic Ajax is another one of those ten
    lines of code deals.

    > that is
    > more then 10 lines of code.

    So?

    > I don't like the fact that my post was use
    > to turn it into a discussion on libraries...

    Here's the thing, it's not "your post". It's a discussion thread.

    ....talk about blind devotion!

    What does that mean? You brought up jQuery and it was warned against
    (for the benefit of all readers). You don't own your posts and it is
    fairly clueless behavior to whine about the resulting discussions.
    Just go away if you have lost interest. ;)

    David Mark, Jun 11, 2010
  14. SM

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article
    <>,
    SM <> wrote:

    > My question was simple and the answer has nothing to do with it. I'm a
    > programmer and i know my stuff. Obviously, I'm not going to use a
    > library for 10 lines of code... who would actually do that? I use a
    > library mostly for simple and clean effects and for ajax... that is
    > more then 10 lines of code. I don't like the fact that my post was use
    > to turn it into a discussion on libraries... talk about blind devotion!

    My ajax function is 28 lines long, and 11 of those are whitespace (I
    find stuff more readable if it's spread out more; YMMV). It has three
    args - 1) the name of the PHP module to run, 2) data for that module, 3)
    name of the callback function. I'm not sure what else is needed.

    I really don't see the point of using a library.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jun 11, 2010
  15. SM

    SAM Guest

    Le 6/11/10 11:06 PM, SM a écrit :

    > My question was simple and the answer has nothing to do with it. I'm a
    > programmer and i know my stuff.

    So I do not understand you could not find the solution
    or, at least, see you had more than one alone and same element.

    I used only the jquery $() function without its babies to try to fix the
    problem and hope you found something shorter in that lib to correct
    that. There is certainly something treating the case collections-or-not

    > Obviously, I'm not going to use a library for 10 lines of code...

    The use of those lybraries push to forget his JS and probably to think,
    it seems.

    > I use a library mostly for simple and clean effects and for ajax...
    > that is more then 10 lines of code.

    not so far from 10 or 20 lines (Ajax)

    then, if you really need "effects" ...
    .... are they well accepted by the visitors ?

    > I don't like the fact that my post was use
    > to turn it into a discussion on libraries... talk about blind devotion!

    You can't ask to do not participate, regardless of the interests of the
    poster. (whom some advices are not so useless)

    I loved the listering approach, didn't you ?
    --
    sm

    SAM, Jun 11, 2010