JRE 1.6 update 5 - IE fatal error with -Xmx256M parameter

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sylvain, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Sylvain

    Sylvain Guest

    Hi !

    I manage a web service with an applet. To easy some memory consuming
    actions, i have added a -Xmx256M parameter to the execution parameter of my
    current JRE (and i've done it for some of my customers). It has been working
    fine for monthes.

    I have installed the lastest JRE release this morning and since that, it's
    impossible to start the applet with IE7 (it works fine with Firefox) : i get
    the following error : "unable to load the java framework" (translation from
    french written message).
    And just after closing IE, i get a readonly memory error of iexplore.exe.

    I work on Windows XPsp2 well updated (last yesterday).

    Does anybody has this error ? Is this a JRE's bug ? Or do i have to set
    another parameter ?

    Thank you for your help.

    Best regards

    Sylvain Caillet
    Sylvain, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Sylvain, 13.03.2008 11:52:
    > Hi !
    >
    > I manage a web service with an applet. To easy some memory consuming
    > actions, i have added a -Xmx256M parameter to the execution parameter of my
    > current JRE (and i've done it for some of my customers). It has been working
    > fine for monthes.

    Isn't that supposed to be a lowercase "m": -Xmx256m
    Thomas Kellerer, Mar 13, 2008

  3. On Mar 13, 9:52 pm, "Sylvain" <> wrote:
    > I manage a web service with an applet.

    My deepest condolences. Applets are a PITA.

    > ...To easy some memory consuming
    > actions,

    Like what? Downloading half the records in the DB?
    Quite a lot can be achieved within the standard 64
    meg provided.

    Now, I am unable to proivide information on
    exactly what IE's prblem is, applets seem to
    sprout another bug in some browser or other
    every other week (you might scan the bug DB
    for recent additions), but was just interested
    to find out if this applet *really* needs a
    browser wrapped around it. Could your clients
    deal with a free floating applet? Is there
    any JS/Java interaction in this applet?

    If those answers are 'yes', then 'no', you
    might be able to solve this quite easily using
    webstart. Not only can the launch file be
    configured to specify a memory requirement,
    but JWS launched applets get around many of
    the bugs that affect applets with a (mostly
    useless) browser wrapped around them.

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
    Andrew Thompson, Mar 13, 2008
  4. On Mar 13, 10:10 pm, Thomas Kellerer <>
    wrote:
    > Sylvain, 13.03.2008 11:52:

    ..
    > > ...added a -Xmx256M parameter...

    > Isn't that supposed to be a lowercase "m": -Xmx256m

    According to the docs*, either is OK. OTOH,
    since we are possibly in 'bug territory', I'd
    sure give the alternative a spin.

    * <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/
    java.html#options>
    (OK that's solaris, but..)
    "-Xmxn
    Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool.
    This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append the letter
    k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes. ..."

    As an aside, the wording of the JNLP spec.
    for the launch files memory requirements is
    not worded as clearly. I read it wrong and
    for many months believed that the only
    allowable letters were lower case.

    --
    Andrew T.