JRE 1.6 update 5 - IE fatal error with -Xmx256M parameter

Sylvain

Hi !

I manage a web service with an applet. To easy some memory consuming
actions, i have added a -Xmx256M parameter to the execution parameter of my
current JRE (and i've done it for some of my customers). It has been working
fine for monthes.

I have installed the lastest JRE release this morning and since that, it's
impossible to start the applet with IE7 (it works fine with Firefox) : i get
the following error : "unable to load the java framework" (translation from
french written message).
And just after closing IE, i get a readonly memory error of iexplore.exe.

I work on Windows XPsp2 well updated (last yesterday).

Does anybody has this error ? Is this a JRE's bug ? Or do i have to set
another parameter ?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Sylvain Caillet

Thomas Kellerer

Sylvain, 13.03.2008 11:52:
Hi !

I manage a web service with an applet. To easy some memory consuming
actions, i have added a -Xmx256M parameter to the execution parameter of my
current JRE (and i've done it for some of my customers). It has been working
fine for monthes.

Isn't that supposed to be a lowercase "m": -Xmx256m

Andrew Thompson

I manage a web service with an applet.

My deepest condolences. Applets are a PITA.
...To easy some memory consuming
actions,

Like what? Downloading half the records in the DB?
Quite a lot can be achieved within the standard 64
meg provided.

Now, I am unable to proivide information on
exactly what IE's prblem is, applets seem to
sprout another bug in some browser or other
every other week (you might scan the bug DB
for recent additions), but was just interested
to find out if this applet *really* needs a
browser wrapped around it. Could your clients
deal with a free floating applet? Is there
any JS/Java interaction in this applet?

If those answers are 'yes', then 'no', you
might be able to solve this quite easily using
webstart. Not only can the launch file be
configured to specify a memory requirement,
but JWS launched applets get around many of
the bugs that affect applets with a (mostly
useless) browser wrapped around them.

Andrew Thompson

Sylvain, 13.03.2008 11:52: ..

Isn't that supposed to be a lowercase "m": -Xmx256m

According to the docs*, either is OK. OTOH,
since we are possibly in 'bug territory', I'd
sure give the alternative a spin.

* <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/
java.html#options>
(OK that's solaris, but..)
"-Xmxn
Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool.
This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append the letter
k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes. ..."

As an aside, the wording of the JNLP spec.
for the launch files memory requirements is
not worded as clearly. I read it wrong and
for many months believed that the only
allowable letters were lower case.