    for efficiency reasons.

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,

    Michele Dondi, Feb 11, 2004

    Michele Dondi
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > As of the subject, I was wondering if anyone has ever written a binary
    > module for perl that in turn had some routines written in assembler,
    > for efficiency reasons.

    Why not? Take a module which uses an externally available C code
    which uses ASM (such as Math::pari). This is a beast to compile,
    though, since Perl's Config.pm does not know how to run assembler...

    Or, less strict, take any Perl module which links with a library which
    is compiled from assembler code (such as Math::GMP).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Michele Dondi

    Penguinista Guest

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Michele Dondi
    > <>], who wrote in article <>:
    >
    >>As of the subject, I was wondering if anyone has ever written a binary
    >>module for perl that in turn had some routines written in assembler,
    >>for efficiency reasons.

    > Why not? Take a module which uses an externally available C code
    > which uses ASM (such as Math::pari). This is a beast to compile,
    > though, since Perl's Config.pm does not know how to run assembler...
    >
    > Or, less strict, take any Perl module which links with a library which
    > is compiled from assembler code (such as Math::GMP).
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Ilya

    The efficiency margin of assembly over well written C is usually very
    small, and comes at the cost of portability. Unless the algorithm is
    written to utilize architecture specific features it's probably not
    worth the trouble.

    Penguinista, Feb 12, 2004
  4. On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:59:46 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    <> wrote:

    >> As of the subject, I was wondering if anyone has ever written a binary
    >> module for perl that in turn had some routines written in assembler,
    >> for efficiency reasons.

    >Why not? Take a module which uses an externally available C code
    >which uses ASM (such as Math::pari). This is a beast to compile,
    >though, since Perl's Config.pm does not know how to run assembler...
    >
    >Or, less strict, take any Perl module which links with a library which
    >is compiled from assembler code (such as Math::GMP).

    This is exactly what I meant! Thanks, I would have thought that to
    much a more rare thing though.

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,

    Michele Dondi, Feb 12, 2004