Justification

jake

Blinky the said:
This isn't HTML, but it's related. Look at what full justification does
to the word spacing in the narrow paragraph next to the image.

And there are rivers there you could sail the fleet through. (Do HTML
authors know what rivers are, or is that strictly a printing term?)

http://tinyurl.com/82pj2 =

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1865/assasssination
-abraham-lincoln.htm
I suspect that the problem here is that it was created by someone
without much experience of HTML coding.

They've scanned the original (or facsimile) and generated the HTML
directly from the OCR program -- which will have attempted to preserve
the (exact) original layout, font and font-size, etc.

Or maybe they used the OCR program to generate an MS Word file; Word
then being used to generate the HTML.

It probably seemed a good idea at the time ;-)

regards.

Blinky the Shark

jake said:
In message <[email protected]>, Blinky the
I suspect that the problem here is that it was created by someone
without much experience of HTML coding.

Good grief...

....I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
HTML) in my OP. I thought that was part of the scan; I thought I was
looking at one full scan of the whole newspaper page. How I managed to
miss the links in that column, I can't explain.

And the dog ate my homework, too. :)
They've scanned the original (or facsimile) and generated the HTML
directly from the OCR program -- which will have attempted to preserve
the (exact) original layout, font and font-size, etc.
Or maybe they used the OCR program to generate an MS Word file; Word
then being used to generate the HTML.

Ew. Ew.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
Good grief...

...I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
HTML) in my OP. I thought that was part of the scan; I thought I was
looking at one full scan of the whole newspaper page. How I managed to
miss the links in that column, I can't explain.

I didn't even see the article until I opened the page in IE. Opera 8 just
shows a big ecru block with no text.
And the dog ate my homework, too. :)

My toddler grabbed a piece of paper with a very important phone number on
it and ripped it to shreds before I could get to him. Things happen.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
...I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
HTML) in my OP.

I did - my larger-than-normal font size made all the lines in the
article overlap, because they must have set a line-height too. Makes it
somewhat difficult to read (not that I tried to read the whole article).