    http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1865/assasssination-abraham-lincoln.htm

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 26, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Blinky the
    Shark <> writes
    >This isn't HTML, but it's related. Look at what full justification does
    >to the word spacing in the narrow paragraph next to the image.
    >
    >And there are rivers there you could sail the fleet through. (Do HTML
    >authors know what rivers are, or is that strictly a printing term?)
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/82pj2 =
    >
    >http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1865/assasssination
    >-abraham-lincoln.htm

    I suspect that the problem here is that it was created by someone
    without much experience of HTML coding.

    They've scanned the original (or facsimile) and generated the HTML
    directly from the OCR program -- which will have attempted to preserve
    the (exact) original layout, font and font-size, etc.

    Or maybe they used the OCR program to generate an MS Word file; Word
    then being used to generate the HTML.

    It probably seemed a good idea at the time ;-)

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, May 26, 2005

  3. jake wrote:

    > In message <>, Blinky the

    > Shark <> writes
    >>This isn't HTML, but it's related. Look at what full justification
    >>does to the word spacing in the narrow paragraph next to the image.

    >>And there are rivers there you could sail the fleet through. (Do HTML
    >>authors know what rivers are, or is that strictly a printing term?)

    >>http://tinyurl.com/82pj2 =

    >>http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1865/assasssination
    >>-abraham-lincoln.htm

    > I suspect that the problem here is that it was created by someone
    > without much experience of HTML coding.

    Good grief...

    ....I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
    HTML) in my OP. I thought that was part of the scan; I thought I was
    looking at one full scan of the whole newspaper page. How I managed to
    miss the links in that column, I can't explain.

    And the dog ate my homework, too. :)

    > They've scanned the original (or facsimile) and generated the HTML
    > directly from the OCR program -- which will have attempted to preserve
    > the (exact) original layout, font and font-size, etc.

    > Or maybe they used the OCR program to generate an MS Word file; Word
    > then being used to generate the HTML.

    Ew. Ew.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 26, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    <> writing in

    >>>http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1865/assasssination
    >>>-abraham-lincoln.htm

    >> I suspect that the problem here is that it was created by someone
    >> without much experience of HTML coding.

    > Good grief...
    >
    > ...I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
    > HTML) in my OP. I thought that was part of the scan; I thought I was
    > looking at one full scan of the whole newspaper page. How I managed to
    > miss the links in that column, I can't explain.

    I didn't even see the article until I opened the page in IE. Opera 8 just
    shows a big ecru block with no text.

    > And the dog ate my homework, too. :)

    My toddler grabbed a piece of paper with a very important phone number on
    it and ripped it to shreds before I could get to him. Things happen.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, May 26, 2005
  5. Adrienne wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    ><> writing in

    >>> I suspect that the problem here is that it was created by someone
    >>> without much experience of HTML coding.

    >> Good grief...

    >> ...I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
    >> HTML) in my OP. I thought that was part of the scan; I thought I was
    >> looking at one full scan of the whole newspaper page. How I managed to
    >> miss the links in that column, I can't explain.

    > I didn't even see the article until I opened the page in IE. Opera 8 just
    > shows a big ecru block with no text.

    Okay here, Opera 7.23 on Linux.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2005
  6. Blinky the Shark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:

    > ...I didn't even notice it *was* HTML (thus my disclaimer "this isn't
    > HTML) in my OP.

    I did - my larger-than-normal font size made all the lines in the
    article overlap, because they must have set a line-height too. Makes it
    somewhat difficult to read (not that I tried to read the whole article).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, May 27, 2005