K&R2 ex 1-8

pete

Merrill & Michele wrote:
As persons who have followed my posts know, I am new to usenet.

On the topic of threaddrift, that's just the way it goes.

When you start a thread here,
it's because there's something that you want to discuss about C.
When I answer a post,
it's because there's something that I want to discuss about C,
and it may only be that your post reminded me of it.

Topicality here,
mostly only pertains to the topicality of the newsgroup,
rather than sticking to the subject line of a thread.

Merrill & Michele

On the topic of threaddrift, that's just the way it goes.

When you start a thread here,
it's because there's something that you want to discuss about C.
When I answer a post,
it's because there's something that I want to discuss about C,
and it may only be that your post reminded me of it.

Topicality here,
mostly only pertains to the topicality of the newsgroup,
rather than sticking to the subject line of a thread.

I'm still going to claim that I'm topical here, because a certain amount of
communication about this forum and its interactions with newsreaders helps,
minimally, me, to post and respond with greater relevancy.

Q1) Do other people's newsreaders snip off the posts as they reach back to
a certain date but leave the "sub-trees" that were posted later? If so,
then I would think that indicating a shift in subject to match the content
of a post would be a good thing.

Q2) It was indicated abovethread that some browsers don't include the
subject line. Is this software to which one caters? MPJ

<OT>
My reference to learning to program in the shadow of Mount Rainier was
refered to as "psychobabble." Believe me, when you live west of a
breath-taking live volcano, it defines you in some sense. But you had to
think a little bit of where else that puts you. The word "crucible" has
hermetic connotations, so I'll #define crucible petri_dish .

Also abovethread, I said I'd send Chuck a broom and six-pack for the coming
Sox loss. I'll send him a bottle of Dom Perignon if they bury those
##**$%s.
<end OT>

Default User

Merrill & Michele wrote:

Q1) Do other people's newsreaders snip off the posts as they reach
back to a certain date but leave the "sub-trees" that were posted
later? If so, then I would think that indicating a shift in subject
to match the content of a post would be a good thing.

That's usually a function of your news server rather than the reader.
Q2) It was indicated abovethread that some browsers don't include the
subject line. Is this software to which one caters? MPJ

The Subject line should be descriptive of the message inside, but not
contain vital information (unless that is repeated in the message).

Brian

Alan Balmer

Q1) Do other people's newsreaders snip off the posts as they reach back to
a certain date but leave the "sub-trees" that were posted later? If so,
then I would think that indicating a shift in subject to match the content
of a post would be a good thing.

This is a judgment call. Often thread drift is not large, and still
somewhat related to the original post. If the drift is large, and
turns into another topic entirely, it's nice to change the subject
line. With most newsreaders (but perhaps not yours) the threading will
be maintained, in case anyone wonders how they got there.
Q2) It was indicated abovethread that some browsers don't include the
subject line. Is this software to which one caters? MPJ

Yes, but not simply for that reason. The fact is that it's better for
the reader to have all pertinent information in the body of the
message, whether or not some of it is repeated in the subject.

An obvious consideration - how does one comment in-line on a matter
which is only in the subject line? It's not reasonable to expect the
reader to retype it.

Mike Wahler

Alan Balmer said:
An obvious consideration - how does one comment in-line on a matter
which is only in the subject line? It's not reasonable to expect the
reader to retype it.

But everyone has a mouse and a 'copy-paste' feature, dontchya know? :)

-Mike

Peter Shaggy Haywood

Groovy hepcat Michael Mair was jivin' on Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:47:32
+0200 in comp.lang.c.
Re: K&R2 ex 1-8's a cool scene! Dig it!
- blank probably means ' ', but is not properly defined in the standard.
See also isblank(), isspace().

There's no such function as isblank() in the standard C library.

http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

Ben Pfaff

Groovy hepcat Michael Mair was jivin' on Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:47:32
+0200 in comp.lang.c.
Re: K&R2 ex 1-8's a cool scene! Dig it!

There's no such function as isblank() in the standard C library.

It's new in C99.

7.4.1.3 The isblank function

Synopsis

1 #include <ctype.h>
int isblank(int c);

Description

2 The isblank function tests for any character that is a standard
blank character or is one of a locale-specific set of
characters for which isspace is true and that is used to
separate words within a line of text. The standard blank
characters are the following: space (' '), and horizontal
tab ('\t'). In the "C" locale, isblank returns true only for
the standard blank characters.

Alan Balmer

But everyone has a mouse and a 'copy-paste' feature, dontchya know? :)

-Mike
Hardly universal :) Agent does let me copy a subject line during a
reply, but I wouldn't assume all readers do. And sometimes I use *nix
without X.

Mike Wahler

Alan Balmer said:
Hardly universal :) Agent does let me copy a subject line during a
reply, but I wouldn't assume all readers do. And sometimes I use *nix
without X.

I guess my tongue being in cheek wasn't obvious. :)

-Mike

CBFalconer

Mike said:
But everyone has a mouse and a 'copy-paste' feature, dontchya
know? :)

Even if they do they may not want to disconnect hands from the
keyboard, rummage about for the sleeping rodent, shake it until it
shows up on screen, fumble for buttons to mark some silly area,
return to the keyboard to type CTRL-C, return to the stupid mouse
to return attention to the message area, return the mouse to its
lair, return the hands to the keyboard (and get them one off)

when all that was needed was a proper original message.

--
"I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"
"Any baby snookums can be a Yankee fan, it takes real moral

Mark McIntyre

I'm still going to claim that I'm topical here, because a certain amount of
communication about this forum and its interactions with newsreaders helps,
minimally, me, to post and respond with greater relevancy.

*shrug*.
Its unlikely anyone else will agree, especially if you persist in being
obstinate about it.
Q1) Do other people's newsreaders snip off the posts as they reach back to

elephant

Michael Mair

Ben said:
It's new in C99.

7.4.1.3 The isblank function

Synopsis

1 #include <ctype.h>
int isblank(int c);

Description

2 The isblank function tests for any character that is a standard
blank character or is one of a locale-specific set of
characters for which isspace is true and that is used to
separate words within a line of text. The standard blank
characters are the following: space (' '), and horizontal
tab ('\t'). In the "C" locale, isblank returns true only for
the standard blank characters.

Thank you for pointing that out...

Nowadays, I am using the C99 standard library functions and some I
forget which are new.

BTW: Is there somewhere a nice list comparing the C89 and C99
standard headers?

Cheers
Michael

Michael Mair

Merrill & Michele wrote:
[snip: the right code, but trouble with '\n', code review]
Files will ultimately be the way I deal with data, because I loathe the
keyboard, but if this code is solid, then there's a fly in the ointment.
How does one enter an enter? Type really quickly? MPJ

<OT>
Once more: Your environment...
If you work on DOS level, compile on DOS level and execute on DOS level,
there will be no problem at all.
If you search through the comp.lang.c archives, you will also find a
recent request for free compilers under windows where someone mentioned
an IDE, IIRC.
</OT>

Cheers
Michael

Peter Shaggy Haywood

Groovy hepcat Ben Pfaff was jivin' on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:02:08 -0700
in comp.lang.c.
Re: K&R2 ex 1-8's a cool scene! Dig it!
It's new in C99.

Thanks! I couldn't find it in n869.pdf.