Kamaelia Released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Sparks, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I've already posted an announcement in comp.lang.python.announce
    about this, but for those who were at Europython and remember me
    giving a lightning talk on Kamaelia who don't read c.l.p.a - this
    is just a quick note to say that we've been given the go ahead to
    release it as open source and that it's now on sourceforge here:

    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/

    Essentially the bottom line idea is it's designed as a testbed
    platform for building network servers, and specifically new
    protocols. The reason for not using twisted is to try an alternate
    approach is to see whether an alternate approach has any benefits.
    (twisted is a better option if you just want something scalable
    in python right now of course!)

    The approach we've taken for concurrency is essentially lots of
    small components communicating in CSP/Occam like manner. Each
    component is a python generator, with extra attributes inboxes/outboxes
    which act as queues/buffers. Interesting systems are then composed
    by linking outboxes to inboxes allowing data to flow through the
    system.

    For the moment the code is only available via anonymous CVS checkout,
    but we'll probably start having nightly CVS snapshots at some point
    soon.

    Merry Christmas,

    Michael.
    --

    British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development
    Kingswood Warren, Surrey KT20 6NP

    This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
    which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
    Michael Sparks, Dec 22, 2004