Karatsuba multiplication

Daniel Carrera

So, what was the result of the recent thread on Karatsuba multiplication?
Is someone working on it?

If not I thought I might give it a shot, but I'd only write a Ruby
implementation. I probably wouldn't write it in C.

--
Daniel Carrera | PGP: 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
Math PhD. UMD | http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html

* * * * * Weekly Smile * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Sign in a hotel in Athens:
Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours
of 9 and 11 A.M. daily.

Harry Ohlsen

So, what was the result of the recent thread on Karatsuba multiplication?
Is someone working on it?

The final story, as I understand it, is that a chap named Ikegami has written
some C code to replace the current Bignum code. However, Matz is reluctant
to replace it, because the last he had heard from Ikegami was that it isn't
100% yet.

Matz said hopefully it will be in 1.8.1.
If not I thought I might give it a shot, but I'd only write a Ruby
implementation. I probably wouldn't write it in C.

I'd be really interested to see a Ruby implementation, because it should show
the essence of the algorithm more clearly. Obviously, the C implementation
will be more efficient, of course, which is probably important in this case.

Harry O.