keep things in place

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mcnewsxp, Jul 28, 2012.

  1. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    mcnewsxp, Jul 28, 2012

  2. mcnewsxp

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:34:35 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp wrote:

    > how can i keep my left <div> menu from being pushed down by a right <div> when the browser is shrunk?
    >
    > if you logon here with PamB therapy and narrow the browser size you'll see what i mean.
    >
    > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >
    > tia,
    > mcnewsxp

    use a container for the two divisions.

    richard, Jul 28, 2012

  3. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:48:41 PM UTC-4, richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:34:35 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp wrote:
    >

    > > how can i keep my left <div> menu from being pushed down by a right <div> when the browser is shrunk?

    > > if you logon here with PamB therapy and narrow the browser size you'll see what i mean.

    > > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx

    > > tia,

    > > mcnewsxp

    > use a container for the two divisions.

    they are contained within a <div>.

    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">

    </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
    </form>

    mcnewsxp, Jul 28, 2012
  4. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:34:35 PM UTC-4, mcnewsxp wrote:
    > how can i keep my left <div> menu from being pushed down by a right <div> when the browser is shrunk?
    >

    > if you logon here with PamB therapy and narrow the browser size you'll see what i mean.
    >

    > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >

    > tia,
    >
    > mcnewsxp

    i switched to using width percents and that seems to fix it.

    mcnewsxp, Jul 28, 2012
  5. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mcnewsxp <> wrote:

    > how can i keep my left <div> menu from being pushed down by a right <div>
    > when the browser is shrunk?
    >
    > if you logon here with PamB therapy and narrow the browser size you'll see
    > what i mean.
    >
    > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx

    I would have seen what you meant till you changed it. What right have
    you got to fix your own problems so quickly? There should be a law
    against it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 29, 2012
  6. mcnewsxp

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:57:34 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp wrote:

    > On Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:34:35 PM UTC-4, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >> how can i keep my left <div> menu from being pushed down by a right <div> when the browser is shrunk?
    >>

    >> if you logon here with PamB therapy and narrow the browser size you'll see what i mean.
    >>

    >> http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >>

    >> tia,
    >>
    >> mcnewsxp

    > i switched to using width percents and that seems to fix it.

    if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.
    that is the width of the container, not the inner boxes.
    if do not define the container size, the inner boxes will break anyway.

    richard, Jul 29, 2012
  7. richard wrote:

    > if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.
    > that is the width of the container, not the inner boxes. if do not
    > define the container size, the inner boxes will break anyway.

    Only in your littleworld.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 29, 2012
  8. mcnewsxp

    Lewis Guest

    In message <23khukgg4gr3$.183j8660wcnht$>
    richard <> wrote:
    > if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.

    This is terrible advice. One should never use pixels to define a
    container. Pixel widths should be restricted to images.

    --
    Silence filled the University in the same way that air fills a hole.
    Night spread across the Disk like plum jam, or possibly blackberry

    Lewis, Jul 29, 2012
  9. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <23khukgg4gr3$.183j8660wcnht$>
    > richard <> wrote:
    > > if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.

    > This is terrible advice. One should never use pixels to define a
    > container. Pixel widths should be restricted to images.

    Even if it were terrible advice in this case, it is not true that px
    (not *pixel* btw) width should be restricted to images.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 29, 2012
  10. mcnewsxp

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 03:01:15 +0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

    > In message <23khukgg4gr3$.183j8660wcnht$>
    > richard <> wrote:
    >> if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.

    > This is terrible advice. One should never use pixels to define a
    > container. Pixel widths should be restricted to images.

    kind of depends on the content of the container.
    Personally, I use inches to define boxes.
    But in some cases, pixels are necessary to achieve the desired effect.

    While images have been matively and inherently, as well as historically,
    been defined as being measured in pixels, that is not written in stone.

    Now what exactly is a pixel? It is nothing more than another way to measure
    something. How a pixel is defined on YOUR machine, is not a pixel on MY
    machine.

    richard, Jul 29, 2012
  11. mcnewsxp

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:26:52 +0000 (UTC), Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.
    >> that is the width of the container, not the inner boxes. if do not
    >> define the container size, the inner boxes will break anyway.

    > Only in your littleworld.

    without a fixed size for the container, the shrinking of the window will
    cause the container to collpase. If the inner boxes are defined, they will
    thusly break.

    richard, Jul 29, 2012
  12. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1fhioekuppb4b.1abkic7neigr$>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > Personally, I use inches to define boxes

    You once famously used miles, who can ever forget?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 29, 2012
  13. richard wrote:
    > kind of depends on the content of the container.
    > Personally, I use inches to define boxes.

    Inches (in), cm, mm, pt are really applicable to *printed* output. They
    are linear units that are independent of the font size, so your "in" as
    well as "px" will have the same issues when the user font and size are
    changed, that is *generally* why for containers of text it is oftern
    better to use something proportional to the font such as "em". However
    it all depends on what your design criteria is.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 29, 2012
  14. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > However it all depends on what your design criteria is.

    Not for RtS. He has no 'design criteria.'

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 29, 2012
  15. mcnewsxp

    Lewis Guest

    In message <1fhioekuppb4b.1abkic7neigr$>
    richard <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 03:01:15 +0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

    >> In message <23khukgg4gr3$.183j8660wcnht$>
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>> if you define width with a specific px size that should work as well.

    >> This is terrible advice. One should never use pixels to define a
    >> container. Pixel widths should be restricted to images.

    > kind of depends on the content of the container.
    > Personally, I use inches to define boxes.

    Yes, but you're ... well, YOU.

    > Now what exactly is a pixel? It is nothing more than another way to measure
    > something. How a pixel is defined on YOUR machine, is not a pixel on MY
    > machine.

    Yes, rather the point of not using them, innit?

    --
    The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music.

    Lewis, Jul 29, 2012
  16. mcnewsxp

    Lewis Guest

    In message <jv3dq7$2d9$>

    "**** it up" is a criteria, isn't it?

    --
    One of the most basic rules of survival on any planet is never to upset
    someone wearing black leather. --The Last Continent

    Lewis, Jul 29, 2012
  17. Lewis wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>> However it all depends on what your design criteria is.

    >> Not for RtS. He has no 'design criteria.'

    > "**** it up" is a criteria, isn't it?

    Oh yeah. Sorry, I guess you're right. :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 29, 2012