Latest Windows installer is backdated

Bret Pettichord

I found some interesting/anomolous reporting with ruby -v.

Ruby windows installer 1.8.1-11 gives:

ruby 1.8.1 (2004-01-27) [i386-mswin32]

Ruby windows installer 1.8.1-12 (which is newer) gives:

ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

This seems backwards. Why?

______________________________________
Bret Pettichord, Software Tester
Consultant - www.pettichord.com
Author - www.testinglessons.com
Blogger - www.io.com/~wazmo/blog

Homebrew Automation Seminar
April 30, Austin, Texas
www.pettichord.com/training.html

Lothar Scholz

Hello Curt,

CH> Bret Pettichord said:
I found some interesting/anomolous reporting with ruby -v.

Ruby windows installer 1.8.1-11 gives:

ruby 1.8.1 (2004-01-27) [i386-mswin32]

Ruby windows installer 1.8.1-12 (which is newer) gives:

ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

This seems backwards. Why?

CH> Well, 1.8.1-12 *is* the latest version and should have somewhere around
CH> mid-April of 2004. Not sure why it has the wrong date. I'll add a bug report
CH> for this.

Sorry but the ruby release day is 2003-12-25. If you build it from the
1.8.1 tagged source files in the CVS repository.

The 11 version is wrong because it patches the ruby version date and
so mixes ruby release and your installation builder date. This are two
different things.

I'm currently setting up an own distribution (a so called batteries
included) for Arachno Ruby and don't like it to see the two concepts
mixed.