    I'm not stupid but never got the hang of latin ;)

    Regards,
    Samuël
    Samuël van Laere, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Samuël van Laere

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Samuël van Laere

    Neal Guest

    See http://www.lipsum.com/ for some info
    Neal, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Samuël van Laere

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some of
    > you use on your sample pages?

    As some have pointed out, it is simply a dummy text used as a filler. It
    is also not /really/ Latin as it doesn't make all that much sense, but is
    somewhat related to a story that (IIRC) was in Latin.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Now playing: Yes - The Gates Of Delirium [live][Symphonic Tour]
    Dylan Parry, Jul 12, 2004
  6. "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote:

    > Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that
    > some of you use on your sample pages?

    I don't think _all_ (or even most) of us use any Latin on our pages.
    Sed multi sunt, qui Latine scribere putantur.

    The "Lorem ipsum" nonsense, which should not be called pig Latin to avoid
    insulting pigs (it is not _possible_ to insult Latin of course), is
    harmful for the very same reason why people think it's useful:
    it's nonsense, not to be read and understood. Thus it used to test only
    the visual appearance, not readability.

    Besides, real-life texts behave differently from Lorem ipsum bla bla. For
    example, if you real pages are in German or Finnish, the average word
    length is probably much bigger than in Lorem ipsum. And this surely
    affects the appearance. For typical English text, on the other hand,
    words are probably much shorter. The morale is: use real texts instead of
    dummy texts when testing.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 12, 2004
  7. Samuël van Laere

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:23:33 +0000 (UTC), Jukka K. Korpela
    <> wrote:

    > The morale is: use real texts instead of
    > dummy texts when testing.

    I'll add that form should follow function in a website. Authors should be
    most concerned with the content and how to deliver it, rather than the
    colors and positioning and sizing of elements. Therefore, unless you're
    simply experimenting with new design forms, you ought to have a basic site
    infrastructure and actual copy to use before you begin the graphic part of
    design - making the Latin filler unnecessary.
    Neal, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Samuël van Laere

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 12, 2004
  9. Thanks for the answers people, i didn't even know it had a name in the first
    place.
    Yes it makes sence to use real text for samples that are available to the
    public.
    Lorem ipsum can be usefull for quick offline testing though.

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Jul 13, 2004
  10. Samuël van Laere

    Neal Guest

    Neal, Jul 13, 2004
  11. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 13, 2004
  12. Samuël van Laere

    lime Guest

    Some info you may find useful: http://www.lipsum.com
    lime, Jul 13, 2004
  13. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:50:09 +1000, lime <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > Some info you may find useful: http://www.lipsum.com

    In case you missed it the first 3 times it was posted. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 13, 2004
  14. Samuël van Laere

    Andy Dingley Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message news:<1WBIc.125549$>...

    > Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some of
    > you use on your sample pages?

    I use this:

    Legere non possum
    nec scribere,
    sed ex Glevo venio
    tractoremque agere possum.

    or in English,

    I can't read and I can't write, but I'm from
    Gloucestershire and I can drive a tractor.
    Andy Dingley, Jul 14, 2004
  15. Samuël van Laere

    lime Guest

    > > Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some
    of
    > > you use on your sample pages?

    > I use this:
    >
    > Legere non possum
    > nec scribere,
    > sed ex Glevo venio
    > tractoremque agere possum.
    >

    > or in English,
    >
    > I can't read and I can't write, but I'm from
    > Gloucestershire and I can drive a tractor.

    Classic!
    lime, Jul 14, 2004