launch a client side app

horus

I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.

Is this possible with html ??

thanks ahead of time

dmc

dorayme

"horus said:
thanks ahead of time

Either this is impossible and you are confusing it with a
predicted gratefulness or it is a case of backwards causation.

Denis McMahon

I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.

Is this possible with html ??

thanks ahead of time

It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other browsers
probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

horus

I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other browsers
probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files launch
audio players
so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

dmc

Jonathan N. Little

horus said:
.mp3 files launch
audio players
so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

Because MP3 files are not supposed to give access to your local system
to a remote server....can you not see the difference?

Denis McMahon

well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files launch
audio players
so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

That requires that the association be set up in the client. I don't
think you can force the association from the server or javascript,
otherwise it would be possible for a malicious website to:

(a) set your client to execute a file of a specified type, and
(b) send a file containing malicious code

So, unless your website users have the relevant file type or mime type
assigned to an application, sending the file will just give them a "what
do you want to do with this file" prompt.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Robert Tomsick

horus said:
well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files launch
audio players
so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

You (as the end user) can. You (as a web developer) cannot.

Neredbojias

well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files
launch audio players
so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

Yep, as others have indicated, that's not true. .pdf files don't
launch Acrobat on my computers and .mp3 files open a save/play dialogue
box. AFAIK, nothing from the server can change that.