    Is this possible with html ??

    thanks ahead of time

    dmc
    horus, Aug 19, 2010

  2. horus

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4c6d9ec8$0$1677$>,
    "horus" <> wrote:

    > thanks ahead of time

    Either this is impossible and you are confusing it with a
    predicted gratefulness or it is a case of backwards causation.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 19, 2010

  3. On 19/08/10 22:14, horus wrote:
    > I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
    > a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.
    >
    > Is this possible with html ??
    >
    > thanks ahead of time

    It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
    browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other browsers
    probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Aug 20, 2010
  4. horus

    horus Guest

    >> I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
    >> a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.
    >>
    >> Is this possible with html ??
    >>
    >> thanks ahead of time

    > It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
    > browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other browsers
    > probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

    well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files launch
    audio players
    so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

    dmc

    horus, Aug 23, 2010
  5. horus wrote:
    > .mp3 files launch
    > audio players
    > so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

    Because MP3 files are not supposed to give access to your local system
    to a remote server....can you not see the difference?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 23, 2010
  6. On 23/08/10 17:38, horus wrote:
    >>> I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
    >>> a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible with html ??
    >>>
    >>> thanks ahead of time

    >> It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
    >> browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other browsers
    >> probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

    > well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files launch
    > audio players
    > so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

    That requires that the association be set up in the client. I don't
    think you can force the association from the server or javascript,
    otherwise it would be possible for a malicious website to:

    (a) set your client to execute a file of a specified type, and
    (b) send a file containing malicious code

    So, unless your website users have the relevant file type or mime type
    assigned to an application, sending the file will just give them a "what
    do you want to do with this file" prompt.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Aug 23, 2010
  7. horus wrote:

    >>> I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
    >>> a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible with html ??
    >>>
    >>> thanks ahead of time

    >> It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
    >> browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other browsers
    >> probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

    > well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files launch
    > audio players
    > so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

    You (as the end user) can. You (as a web developer) cannot.
    Robert Tomsick, Aug 23, 2010
  8. horus

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Aug 2010, "horus" <> wrote:

    >>> I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
    >>> a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible with html ??
    >>>
    >>> thanks ahead of time

    >> It's a potentially huge security hole in the users security. Certain
    >> browsers may (probably do) provide a method for doing it. Other
    >> browsers probably steer clear of such things like the plague.

    > well, I want it that way. .pdf files launch Actobat, .mp3 files
    > launch audio players
    > so why couldn't I set it up so that .vnc files launch svnc?

    Yep, as others have indicated, that's not true. .pdf files don't
    launch Acrobat on my computers and .mp3 files open a save/play dialogue
    box. AFAIK, nothing from the server can change that.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2010
  9. horus

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Aug 2010, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > horus wrote:
    >> I'd like to launch SVNC on the client side when
    >> a particular map zone is clicked and a username/pw is entered.
    >>
    >> Is this possible with html ??

    > It might help if you told us:
    >
    > a. What is SVNC?

    Strategically Vital Nuclear Capability.

    > b. What are ultimately trying to accomplish?

    World Peace.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2010
  10. horus

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Aug 2010, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> It might help if you told us:
    >>>
    >>> a. What is SVNC?

    >> Strategically Vital Nuclear Capability.
    >>

    > LOL. Well, I thought it might be The Smithers Rapra SVNC (Scanning
    > Vibrating Needle Curemeter).

    I heard that has problems with Jello.

    --
    Neredbojias